Depression

You have got a lot going on in your life. Whether you are depressed/have an anxiety disorder or not (i.e. people can feel sad/have down periods without having a mood disorder and have panic attacks without having an anxiety disorder), it might be good to talk to someone who isn't part of your family. I know that when my family have been ill, it has sometimes been hard to know who to talk to because I don't want to burden them when they are also going through difficult things. A counsellor is someone who you don't have to worry about burdening and the fact it is confidential is something some people find helps them to open up. You don't have to make a decision right now but maybe think about it and ask your GP for a referral if you decide it is something you might find helpful.

Thank you and yeah it's much easier to talk to someone else and that's exactly how I feel. Like my parents have enough going on too without me adding to it.

Found out my nan is actually remission now! Few things are slowly working out but there's still some that aren't. I feel a little better so I might see how I cope for a bit

Glad to hear your nan is in remission.

Me too so relieved turns out they found out last week and my parents forgot to tell me I only found out because I was worried and asked about it

Seems like a big thing to forget! Its great that it was good news though

There's so many of us in our house its hard for us to all find out its gets told then they forget who wasn't there it happens all the time

Forgot I had this post. Still not eating, still crying frequently for long periods of time so I went to the doctors the receptionist was incredibly helpful and got me an appointment (phone) for tonight due to work being busy so I got the call and I was like could it be due to my pill? I've been on the same one for years now. But I've also been asked to check in case it depression by other that have it too and he didn't mention my pill at all instead he was like well it's hard to diagnose depression it's quite common for you to be feeling like this but if you have it for months then come back and we will put you on a counciling waiting list but it's very long. I mentioned my panic attacks/anxiety and was told yes well that's not depression. I've had it for well over a month barely eating because I'm just not hungry, crying for sometime later like half an hour, crying at unexpected times too like earlier was in work thankfully on my own and I just burst into tears but apparently with everything that has gone on its normal.

Feel a bit upset to say the least to be honest because if it takes this long is it any wonder people go undiagnosed for so long and end up doing things like self harming and committing suicide? (I won't do that I'm just saying those that do probably have been told the same as me)

Waiting lists for these kind of illnesses are far too long. If you're having a crisis, it seems like all they want to do is sign you off work, tell you to eat, sleep and exercise and maybe chuck some pills at you, then that's it. You do have to be persistent with GPs.

if you're having anxiety and panic attacks maybe you have some sort of post traumatic stress disorder or something? But you could have depression too...

Crying a lot more than usual is definitely a sign that you're not coping with everything going on in your life, and you need some help, but that doesn't make you weak, just means you've tried to be strong for too long.

Hope things improve for you soonish.

Honestly thank you so much I tend to feel like I'm weak I always bottle stuff up so it's nice to have people tell me not to feel weak. I'm on medication for panic attacks/anxiety and yeah I was just a bit shocked that if someone is showing signs of depression they'll just ignore you like is it any wonder people struggle so much with it? I mean I have to wait a few months to see if it's depression then if it is I have to then wait for counciling which is apparently a very long list. My doctors have asked me in the past if things have been ok and been under suspicion that I have depression yet when I ask it's no just wait to see if it goes. Yet my doctors have been like I think you're being quiet about problems etc

I had similar symptoms to you, it wasnt depression (but i knew that because Ive been very far down that particular helll hole before) It was just stress and me not coping, I lost my apetite cried a LOT, was tierd all the time and over emotional, Doctor took one look at me and the weight I had lost and signed me off work. I stayed off till I'd put some of the weight back on, I'm 8 stone on a good day so being a fully grown adult and being under seven stone at my lowest point was a big worry.

I went back to work for almost a year on reduced hours because doctor beleived it was the root cause of my stress. That particular employer then basically cut down my hours untill I couldnt afford to work there and I got a new job which is only part time, I'm skint but happy again. It was as simple as that.

Stress can do a lot of things to a human, including causing panic attacks and anxiety which obviously leads to further stress. Is there a part of your life that particularly stresses you out? Can it be changed? I know some things feel very set in stone or like theres nothing you can do, but you'd be suprised, a change of direction in life can help give us a fresh start.

Hope you feel better soon. Xx

I dont understand why you have to wait a few more months when youve been feeling this way for so long already? If they suspect the pill is causing it then maybe, just maybe they could investigate that?

Anxiety is a complex thing with many difernt treatment options, it doesnt sound like the treatment you have now is working that well so you should keep badgering them until they take things seriously and try to help you rather than fobbing you off.

Dali256 wrote:

I dont understand why you have to wait a few more months when youve been feeling this way for so long already? If they suspect the pill is causing it then maybe, just maybe they could investigate that?

Anxiety is a complex thing with many difernt treatment options, it doesnt sound like the treatment you have now is working that well so you should keep badgering them until they take things seriously and try to help you rather than fobbing you off.

+1

I honestly do not know why they expect me to wait they've suspected something for over a year and now I say I may need help they're like nah wait it out.

Hopefully it isn't depression and I don't do that many hours at my work as it is (varied but one girl is off for at least two more weeks so I'm taking her hours) I'm not sure if things can be changed but will have a look into things thanks guys

Kirsty92 wrote:

I honestly do not know why they expect me to wait they've suspected something for over a year and now I say I may need help they're like nah wait it out.

Hopefully it isn't depression and I don't do that many hours at my work as it is (varied but one girl is off for at least two more weeks so I'm taking her hours) I'm not sure if things can be changed but will have a look into things thanks guys

You dont have to put a label on it, You just need some help to try and feel better and thats what the Drs are meant to be there for. Keep seeing a differnt one until they listen.

Help would be nice that's basically what I asked for but we don't get to choose our doctor most the time we have to go through a phone call first and I was just given this random doctor and I know no one said anything but when I said I hope it isn't depression I don't mean anything against those that have I I just want this to be a slightly faster fix without permanent medication I'm already on a fair bit as it is but if it helped I'd take it. Just want to stop feeling like this I'll be fine one minute then for no reason at all I'll cry and when I'm on my own I'm worse I woke up crying one time and howled for twenty minutes solid and last night I must've cried about that or longer but with the odd pause whereas the other time there was no pause of tears

He asked for triggers so I told him a bit of what been going on and he was like well that's normal to be like that. Didn't give me any coping tips or anything I'm supposed to just carry on crying and scarcely eating for a few more months (I don't get hungry anymore if I eat it's because I have to to stop me collapsing and even then it's not often a lot I'm lucky if I eat one meal throughout a day but even then a full meal rarely happens it's usually like half a sandwich or half an apple and three midget gems (that was in nearly 48 hours) or a few bites of tea and that's it I'm full I can't physically eat anymore or I'll be sick)

Find another GP...the amount you're eating is not enough for a grown woman. And for him to say it's normal to be crying a lot is a bit silly. Either you are really good at keeping it together when you're at the doctors or he is just rubbish...

when I went to my GP with a nervous breakdown/depression, she could see I was not right at all. I am normally a very decent eater, (maybe too much for my height and activity) but when I was depressed I lost quite a bit of weight. That was the only good thing about being depressed, apart from making me appreciate how good things are for me now I'm feeling better.

A major change in appetite and sleep patterns indicates something is wrong. Stress can do strange things to your body. I missed a period when I was ill couple of years ago, and I've never missed one in my life, except when I was pregnant obviously. I think the stress I was under made my cycle mess up.

You should have other GP surgerys in your area too, you can switch and try another one if they make it so hard to see someone else. Its completely unacceptable to be treated the way you were.

Hi there if you feel you have depression /feel depressed go with your instincts and see your gp ,I found the longer you leave it the worse it gets (speaking from experience) we all suffer times like this in our lives and sometimes we just need a helping hand .it's nothing to be ashamed of and by the looks of it you've got a lot going on for anyone to deal with . Counselling is really good you find yourself opening up about things that you never realised were actually bothering you

Hoping your feeling better soon and that your family are soon on the mend .

Thank you everyone. In the past I've held it together quite well at the doctors because that's just what I do but even a doctor in the past noted down I had a "knee jerk reaction" to the question "how are things?" I immediately said "yeah it's ok" he said I replied too fast like I wasn't even thinking about it and I think he's right if people ask how I am, my whole world could be falling apart or I could've just won the lottery and I'll just say yeah I'm ok.

A girl I know went into her doctors and had no symptoms like mine and got signed off work for a month with depression. I'm not looking to be signed off but if she can get help when she only felt tired for a week then why can't I get help when I've been feeling like this for so long?

I'm debating on maybe going to the out of hours if I find time maybe they can help? My doctors are usually pretty good with everything else so I don't want to change completely.

My family are mostly on the mend its just my brothers surgery due soon and this is a big one on his spine could potentially leave him paralysed that's not a worry I'll help take care of him any way I can but its what it'll do to him emotionally more than anything if it happens but it's his choice due to age and he wants it so we just have to wait and pray