Depression

So I didn't think I'd post asking for help again but something was asked last night and I honestly don't know and need opinions.

My mum asked me last night if I have depression. Now it's not just this but I'll back it up a little. Got sinus problems as you probably know always get asked how I am and one time I said "I'm fine" the doctor said that sounded like a knee jerk reaction and wanted to know everything in detail friends? Family? Each time I said yeah it's ok (there was no problems) but now with the doctor saying that and offering me counselling (I've had work related panic attacks for about a year now) I refused and said I was ok but with so much going on im starting to wonder if I've had it an have just been finding my own ways to cope but now there's more to deal with its harder? Part of me feels fine but then past few days I've been on off crying (but it might be what's going on)

Currently dealing with:
Nan having cancer
Grandad just yesterday having a pacemaker replaced
My brother needs spinal surgery in a few months and it's not bothered me but it's getting nearer and nearer
My best friend of twelve years might have just managed to split me and the fella up by stirring and forcing me into saying stuff
Work
This might explain the crying but should I go to the doctor just in case?

It might be worth it, depression is a strange thing and it's not always easy to know if you have it or not, it wouldn't hurt to see a councilor or whatever quickly to get their advice.

You certainly have a lot going on in your life and mind just now. Things might just be getting on top of you. It wouldn't do you any harm to see the Doc and get a medical opinion. Good luck.

I would definitely see a doctor, it sounds lke you might benefit from some talking therapies. It's perfectly normal for anyone with as much to deal with as this to suffer or notice some degree of change. It doesn't necessarily mean that you have depression, teariness can be caused by a variety of things. You may be dealing with some degree of anticipatory grief for your Nan, it's a fairly common circumstance when you know someone is terminally ill and going to pass away. As for the other things that you are dealing with, it really depends on how they make you feel. Do you feel anxious about your brother and Grandad? When I came to making the decision to talk to a doctor about my low mood, I took this short NHS self-assesment first http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/pages/mood-self-assessment.aspx and it helped me understand further about how I was feeling, and I started to notice symptoms that I hadn't thought to connect my mental state to. The situation became clearer in my own mind and definitely helped me when I talked to a doctor, as I finally began to see some clarity about my mental health, which can be confusing and hazy if you don't know what you're looking for.

I hope that this might help, and my thoughts are with you.

Thank you all I think I'll try to see a doctor tomorrow. I've never been good at talking things through or showing emotions to anyone I've always bottled it up and I know it doesn't help but it's all I can do and my nan had an operation they think she'll be clear so it's not terminal (4th time she's had it now first time I've been told)

My grandad is now ok but was worried and I'm worried with my brother it could leave him paralysed.

Me and the guy I'm seeing or whatever you want to call him are talking but it's looking like we're only going to be mates because of the things my mate was saying. He's scared I'm going to get hurt which is sweet he cares but I should be able to take the risk we were ok Til him and the other mate (the one who was trying to see him behind my back) got involved we recovered the first time but now he's scared I'll get hurt and that he can't give me what I deserve

If you have problems talking about things or even just think you'll forget important information, you can always write it down and just let the doctor read that :) Though be careful with the wording, my doctor once mistook "mental times" for me having been at a great party lol.

Oh. I could do but I would just write pages and it's the therapy in worried about I'll probably break down every time I'm pretty sure I can already pin point two possible reasons for the anxiety and possible depression (work and my dad having a massive heart attack and almost dying when I was 13 he survived but it didn't stop me crying myself to sleep every to most nights for about 3 years it got less went from every night near enough to every so often) I don't want sympathy but i don't want to leave it and get worse and end up having some sort of breakdown in the future if I have something wrong

I used to take a minimum of three pages to my therapy sessions lol, they really don't mind if it helps you :) Therapy is mostly about teaching you better coping mechanisms, which by the sounds of things would be helpful for you, but I'm no medical expert.

In my honest view what you have listed are a bunch of reasons to be stressed, stress can but doesn't always lead to depression, either way if you feel like it's all too much, then go talk to someone, I can guarantee you you will not be the first person nor the last to break down in tears, if that is what happens.

It's perfectly normal to react to stress in the way you describe yourself to have reacted, and help is out there, regardless of whether it's stress, depression, or something else. Don't forget charities such as The Salvation Army or Mind are there too.

Good luck 👍

Thanks guys and I only worried it being depression as other people have started asking

Let a doctor decide, don't let other people try to label you :)

Unless they have been professionally diagnosed with it, not many people understand depression, anxiety or other mental illnesses. Unfortunately, we live in a society where we don't tend to talk much about it, so I think people have a habit of trying to diagnose others based on the little information that they know, which doesn't do much but confuse those being labelled. There's nothing wrong with asking those trying to put a label on you to keep their thoughts to themselve.

In my personal experience, it's only made me feel worse. My own family tried labelling me as anorexic and depressed when I was young, and the contant labelling put a negative impact on the way I saw myself.

Kirsty92 wrote:

Thanks guys and I only worried it being depression as other people have started asking

Thats quite common i believe. The person who persuaded me to see a doctor was my old boss! She thought i may have depression and im so glad she convinced me to ring them and get help.

i knew i wasnt right but never had considered depression.

Sounds like you have a lot of stress in your life right now, and your anxiety over your father's heart attack when you were younger could have lasting repercussions. I wouldn't be ashamed about breaking down. Doctors see it all the time. And some of them have depression themselves, yes! But they still manage to help other people. Don't see it as a weakness, see it as helping yourself. Getting help does not make you less strong than others around you, it just means that temporarily you are finding things hard to deal with, but most people go through that kind of spell in their lives. Not all of them get diagnosed as having depression or whatever other illness, but at the end of the day mental health is just as important as physical health.

You will get through it and feel better with time. Even if it turns out you don't have depression, some therapy may help you resolve trauma from the past. I had therapy to try to come to terms with my disjointed childhood of moving overseas to Australia 4 times, and at the time, it was really painful to talk about it, but I needed to do it, I think.

hugs, you will feel more like yourself soon xx

Thank you all so much my dad will return tomorrow (he's taking care of grandad) he's doing really well after a scary night where his blood pressure dropped really low but he's fine now

And the guy I'm seeing is ok with me if anything it's better than before

But it's not stopped the worrying. It doesn't help I'm an over worrier I won't let others diagnose they're just worried for me. It night just be anxiety playing up in which case it might just be methods I need to cope x

I'm still unaware of my nans cancer has gone though and I'm gonna have a good two (give or take) months to worry about my brothers back operation but I've got a good support system friends and family my mum told me I shouldn't worry (easier said than done) to let them worry and to not hold it in even if I have to Facebook her instead of face to face (I find it easier texting or whatever instead of face to face) and I've got my amazing mates too. Only one or two know the full story though but they're amazing

And of course I have you guys when I need outsider views and everything because sometimes it's better to talk with someone going through the same or similar and when your family and friends all tell you one thing you don't know if it's just because they're friends and family and it's what they have to say. X

Oh darling I am so sorry to hear you are going though this. Suffering from depression myself i can tell you now that if the feelings are getting intense you need to go somewhere.

I COULD just be stress as that is alot for anyone to handle but it's better to go somewhere and get help now before it gets out of hand and to a place where your feelings and emotions can no longer be controlled. Trust me i have been there and once you get to that stage you will end up in hospital.

Stress can sometimes set depression off or make it a million times worse, for example for me right now i am struggling badly to a point where i'm sad that i wake up every morning. I wish i could just sleep forever and hibernate like a bear would! So it would make sense if this is worse now.There are also so many differnet types of 'depression' AND 'mental illness' and depression can be a trigger for many of the latter.

There sounds to be like you have some stress related anxeity there too... although i am not a doctor but that what it seems like.

Please keep us updated i am not on here much anymore. Again due to my personal problems but i will try and check back in as much as possible

Sending you hugs

Thank you so much and I hope you feel better soon I need to go and see if anything can be done but it's trying to find the time to make a phone call appointment. (Needs to be phone score I get to go in)

Sum Sub wrote:

In my honest view what you have listed are a bunch of reasons to be stressed, stress can but doesn't always lead to depression, either way if you feel like it's all too much, then go talk to someone, I can guarantee you you will not be the first person nor the last to break down in tears, if that is what happens.

It's perfectly normal to react to stress in the way you describe yourself to have reacted, and help is out there, regardless of whether it's stress, depression, or something else. Don't forget charities such as The Salvation Army or Mind are there too.

Good luck 👍

+1 Great advice. Stress is an awful thing, and can make you feel so down and emotional, but as Subby said, it doesn't always lead to depression. There are lots of techniques out there which can help you to cope with stress. Your GP should be able to help you with this. Good luck hun xxx

Go see someone.
Depression is a funny one, not everyone just *has* depression because they do, it is perfectly valid to be depressed because of lots of shit going on in your life.
Which as Sub said, you've provided a substantial list of.

Go see a doctor, try some councelling. Just talking to someone a bit or going to some group sessions for other people in similar situations might help you out.

You also don't have to put the big, scary Depression label on it if you don't want to. You have a lot going on and it's okay to feel shittier than shit about it.
It doesn't change who you are, and you don't become it. It's about finding ways to cope, and I wish you luck :)

You have nothing to lose by going to see a counsellor so its always worth trying. Best of luck and I really hope it helps.