Design a Sex Toy 2014.... GO GO GO!

You read that right! Design a Sex Toy IS BACK!

Plus, we've got a super-special guest judge... it's only flippin' E L James off of Fifty Shades of Grey!

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/design-a-sex-toy/

Think you can create a world-class sex toy? Prove it!

I would so love to do this but I literally have like, no imagination to come up with something haha :(

But I look forward to finding out who won last years comp, and look forward to seeing what these amazing LH peeps can come up with this year.

Good luck everyone! :)

How rude is one allowed to be about Ms James's ability to judge anything?

Whilst I have never read the 50 shades books... I struggle to understand the contempt alot of people have for E L James. Whilst you may not have personally enjoyed the story, and may not like her style of writing... A LOT of people did... and that's hardly E L James fault... I would be more annoyed at all the people who read the books and got all their friends to read them and started the whole craze in the first place - that's how the whole series got popular - not necessarily because of good writing, but word of mouth of those who did read it and did enjoy it.. but taste is subjective, so having disdain for something because you don't agree/like it, always confuses me.

DavidB1986 wrote:

Whilst I have never read the 50 shades books... I struggle to understand the contempt alot of people have for E L James. Whilst you may not have personally enjoyed the story, and may not like her style of writing... A LOT of people did... and that's hardly E L James fault... I would be more annoyed at all the people who read the books and got all their friends to read them and started the whole craze in the first place - that's how the whole series got popular - not necessarily because of good writing, but word of mouth of those who did read it and did enjoy it.. but taste is subjective, so having disdain for something because you don't agree/like it, always confuses me.

I prefer books written in English to use the language well. She fails.

Whether you enjoy her books or not, she's a lovely lady with a lot of credibility in the erotic/sex toy world - great to have her on board and and happy to be involved with our competition!

Plus, it's a sex toy competition, not erotic literature - so any of the judge's linguistic ability shouldn't be an issue!

Lovehoney - Lucy wrote:

Whether you enjoy her books or not, she's a lovely lady with a lot of credibility in the erotic/sex toy world - great to have her on board and and happy to be involved with our competition!

Plus, it's a sex toy competition, not erotic literature - so any of the judge's linguistic ability shouldn't be an issue!

But if she can't even judge a paragraph, in what is supposed to be her area of expertise...

Alastor, we get it you don't like EL James, now give it a rest.

*reminds alastor of rule no1*

I think she's pretty great. Before FSOG all of us on here had to come to places like this to talk about out kinky sides. Thanks to her writing a book that is not as kinky as what most of is are used to.... Now most of the uk is more open about talking about sex and trying out new things.
She's helped liberate the British opinions on sex. And other people around the world . I know all my friends would never have talked openly about sex until they read those books

Sum Sub wrote:

Alastor, we get it you don't like EL James, now give it a rest.

*reminds alastor of rule no1*

Actually, as far as I know she may indeed be 'a lovely lady', it is basically her writing that causes me a problem. So it isn't a 'personal' ad hominem attack, it is questioning the woman's output.

However, once one realises that, and that she is supposedly a 'writer', it does seem justified to question her ability to evaluate/judge things. That would be closer to a 'personal attack' I suppose, but she is not part of the community here is she? Inflammatory? Well I did ask how rude it is permitted to be regarding her abilities (as opposed to character).

It appears I have exceeded the bounds of what you think is reasonable.

It's not a personal attack as such, but it's just not very sensitive to those who know and/or like E L James either personally or as a writer. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions - we know yours now, so let's respect everyone else's too.

Well i've got til july, i'll have a think ;)

Only problem is, I can't draw for toffee.. so if it looks like a 5 year old has drawn it... it wasn't.. it was me...

amandammmm wrote:

I'd be a bit worried if 5 year olds were designing sex toys David!!!!!!!!

Oh I dunno.. my niece is much better at drawing then I am... she won't know what it is.. haha

E.L. James might not be the best writer but blonde vixen is quite right the 50 shades books have made people who would've been reserved or prudish about the book's theme more open about sex, toys, and bondage. it's made owning toys less taboo nowadays if you say you own a vibrator you're not going to get the same horrified reaction you might have got 20-30 years ago

I have been waiting for this I would love to have my design chosen what an amazing chance. Come on guys.

I have read the 50 Shades books and totally agree with BV. EL James has done wonders for opening people’s minds - making subjects such as bondage and d/s less of a taboo, which can only be a good thing.

For many, these books have re-kindled their love lives or opened their eyes to new experiences, for others it has helped them to come to terms with childhood abuse.

People must remember that the Fifty Shades books of fiction rather than a BDSM handbook and that the main character is by his own accounts ‘damaged’

Hopefully after reading her books, people will start to research the BDSM lifestyle for themselves and perhaps open up a side to their relationship they hadn’t realised could exist.

Quick question for Lucy - If you have submitted a design in the previous competition - can you re-submit it again this time around? Thanks! xx

I've got something special in store for this. Can we submit electronic files, or would you rather have designs as a paper format?

Hi Scorpius - Yes, you can!

flaneur - visit the site and all the info is there. Electronic files are better for us, but you're welcome to send paper things in if that's what you want to do :-)

That's great - thanks Lucy :) xx

*Begins eyeing up empty plastic bottles* probably not the best thing to use? But then again :P AA seems unsure though XD

As for 50 shades, I don't hate the author, simply that she (and or the books) was given credit for the hard work of countless people in both the sex toy and BDSM community, it just happened to come out at a critical point when all of this was already going mainstream... and thus everyone gave it the credit, in reality it was more like a publicly acceptable excuse for people, the fact the majority totally forget and or ignore the hard work of certain communities etc (including lovehoney, who made such an effort with it all themselves) is what I personally hate, the author herself isn't really the problem.

But anyway, totally different topic :P Question I had following the mention of her name though, is the competition more BDSM themed? As in, will BDSM stuff have more of a chance this year kind of thing?