Doubting yourself

Sometimes I get this uncomfortable feeling that I'm getting more than I'm giving or taking more than I'm offering in my relationship. When I feel like that I bring it up straight away, and so far kvetch has disputed that perception every time.

I find it helps a lot to say these things out loud, partly because just hearing myself say them highlights the fact that they're inside my head and not necessarily an accurate reflection of reality, and partly because it's reassuring to hear kvetch say the thought never occurred to him and that he values me and thinks I give a whole lot.

Sometimes I'll ask what, and sometimes without me asking he'll go on to name specific things he feels I give which I don't notice much, and there are quite a number of items on that list. Presenting me with a specific itemised list helps me a lot, much more than a vague "Oh, you give plenty" could ever do.

I'm a big fan of specifics. :)

masterandslave wrote:

I'm always terrified that my OH will leave me because I'm not good enough for him, or he doesn't find me attractive or I don't turn him on etc, etc. I end up having nightmares about it all!! External Media

x

I get that! I have a particular dream about a "cute brunette" that always makes me sad the next day External Media Only had said dream 2/3 times though....I constantly have the worry that because he is SO amazing, that I won't have him for very long, that I am undeserving of wonderful things but I'm working on it External Media my confidence grows every day and the self doubt is gradually backing down! I don't have any tips though other than reassuring your self with things that show his appreciation of you! As I said before I focus on little things like "he went shopping with me when he HATES shopping - he loves me" (because he is the type that will refuse point blank to do anything he doesn't want to do normally) or I remember that for men sex usually = intimacy, so by touching me up in bed he's saying "i love you" External Media it does help!

SL - wow, I don't know what to say, but I admire your confidence despite how things have gone! You deserve to be happy and loved and confident and it's a shame your family aren't supporting of that External Media.

Lubyanka, I'm glad that works for you! For me, I have to pick my timing, sometimes stating my (usually unfounded and unecessary) fears about not being "good enough" for the OH upsets him and makes him feel like he's not doing enough to make me feel appreciated. Sometimes it makes him worry that no matter how much effort he puts in I'll never feel appreciated so is it worth his effort? If it's something I know will have a great affect on me I'll tell him, and often I will say "I'm having an insecure day today, just warning you" so he is prepared for any "sillyness" but generally, I try to brush away any fears that are unfounded and reassure myself, and choose only to discuss the fears that are based on something that has actually happened (rather something that I have forgotton about - I do the same as you, where I forget all the good things I do, then feel insecure about not doing them)

AX

Lubyanka wrote:

Sometimes I get this uncomfortable feeling that I'm getting more than I'm giving or taking more than I'm offering in my relationship. When I feel like that I bring it up straight away, and so far kvetch has disputed that perception every time.

I find it helps a lot to say these things out loud, partly because just hearing myself say them highlights the fact that they're inside my head and not necessarily an accurate reflection of reality, and partly because it's reassuring to hear kvetch say the thought never occurred to him and that he values me and thinks I give a whole lot.

Sometimes I'll ask what, and sometimes without me asking he'll go on to name specific things he feels I give which I don't notice much, and there are quite a number of items on that list. Presenting me with a specific itemised list helps me a lot, much more than a vague "Oh, you give plenty" could ever do.

AdnaW wrote:

Lubyanka wrote:

Lubyanka, I'm glad that works for you! For me, I have to pick my timing, sometimes stating my (usually unfounded and unecessary) fears about not being "good enough" for the OH upsets him and makes him feel like he's not doing enough to make me feel appreciated. Sometimes it makes him worry that no matter how much effort he puts in I'll never feel appreciated so is it worth his effort?

I've encountered this problem many times before with many different partners. They way I've found to handle it is to tell them how important it is to me to be able to express my needs safely, which means I need to be heard without judgement and without it being taken personally. And then I take great care to express what I need in terms of me and myself and my feelings.

For example, "I need to feel X, I think if you did Y then I think that might help me to feel X", or "I'm feeling unpleasantly Z, and if you stopped doing Y and started doing N then I think that would help me".

If they respond as you describe I remind them how important it is for me to be able to safely express my needs, and how my needs are nothing to do with them and are all about me.

Some of my partners were unable to do this and the relationships ended. I decided that if I can't express my needs safely, then that partner is emotionally unsafe for me. For example, I asked one partner to stop opening doors for me because I felt uncomfortable about it, and he responded by asserting that I should just accept it because he thinks it's common courtesy. I then explained to him that I was asking him to respect my wish to open my own doors, no more, no less. However, he was unreceptive and got upset. This was an ongoing recurring issue between us, and that relationship ended, due to that and other things. I thought that was ridiculous, like I was transgressing his human right to open my doors? I think that kind of response is a symptom of other problems, so I like to address the little things because I find that tends to eliminate the bigger conflicts.

I must be able to express my needs safely, and I think we are all entitled to do so. I do appreciate that this is a learned skill so I'm willing to cope with mistakes during the learning process as long as I'm seeing noticeable improvements. So now I make that one of my basic relationship requirements.

Damn, please ignore the messy quoting.

I agree with what you say Lubyanka. But my point was, when I have a feeling of self doubt that is unrelated to anything that my partner has or hasn't done and is not indicative of any need then I keep it to myself. I have everything I need, if that changes then I will express it to my partner, but I still have occasions of self doubt, the feeling is unfounded and unecessary but it is still a feeling I have. I reassure myself but do not express the feeling to my OH as it will upset him, if it were something proactive like "can you do this and then I'll feel better" then he would no feel upset, but often I have random feelings that cannot be solved by any action and it upsets him that I am feeling bad but there is nothing he can do about it.

We've discussed these feelings together so many times but there is nothing HE can do about them, it is something I need to change with his help, I am working on my confidence and he is helping me, but no good comes from us discussing random and unfounded insecurities if nothing proactive can be done, it is more useful for me to work on individual insecurities by myself, whilst he helps me with an overall improvement in confidence.

It is working slowly but surely

Ax