Egg donation- does anybody have any advice?

I think with anything like this you need to make sure your clinic is sensible and not exploiting desperate people for cash. Sadly I don't think I'd be able to it with my learning disabilities, it appears to be hereditary and no one would choose a child with this if there's just as much option for a child without.
I am so impressed that you're doing it, you can't imagine being in the situation of needed a donor and someone giving you that gift ❤

Thank you for sharing these stories. All information helps make a well-informed decision. 

This is why it has had real bad press recently as they felt many women have been 'bullied' into it. I for one have not and approached the clinic myself but I have read some terrible stories about targeting low-income families. They also had not shared all the risk factors and told one woman that eggs aren't really babies so it's like giving blood! 

The clinic I am going to is a local one and luckily was not on the recent report and they don't advertise the donation/sharing so already seems like they do not fit the same criteria as the ones that have received such a bad name recently. They are giving counseling and taking their time so all in all it's about 4 months until I can donate so I have a good feeling about this place. 

This has definitely given me more insight and I can go in with some more questions next time around too. Thank you all.

Wow your all just amazing strong women ❤

Thanks, delboy :) 

I am off to my first counselling session later on today. Fingers crossed they will consider me sound fo mind to donate and then more blood tests. 

They seem to be treading carefully after much backlash recently, some of which includes not advising the donating party of all the potential issues, some highlighted in this thread. 

Sounds like you're in safe hands at a good clinic, Leanne. Good luck xx

For those that had been asking and wondering I  had the counselling session last night and here goes: 

"concerned that I'd be liable for the child. Financially and if anything happened to the parents would services want me to have the child?" 

Not at all. There are many forms to sign and once the baby is born there is zero parental responsibility, even if something happens in the future. The parents do not have the contact to your information and only the child does if they wish to ask for it at 16 due to entering a possible relationship.

"I am wondering about the potential of a child seeking me out later in life and contributing towards it (CSA etc)?"

They can reach out once they have the access to details at 18, such as last known address but there is absolutely no financial responsibility from the person donating.

"Do you know if you meet the couple or if they just choose from a file? "

You do not meet, the clinic match you up based on biological backgrounds and cycles.

Hope this helpful to any thinking about it too :) 

I would definitely do it as I had myself sterilised so it might be a bit more tricky. I would love to have had more children and I could if I done it this way. Mine aren't any good to me but could be so valuable to someone else who wants them

Egg donation is quite a big ask and physically demanding on the body however if you want to do it AMAZING imagine literally giving the gift of life 💜

My step daughter donated eggs last year, couldn't have been more proud of her

I have had the all clear on my bloods for hereditary & chromosome checks. So just waiting on the next call to set up syncing cycles. 

Apparently, they have a recipient lined up already! All moving very quickly now after a very long wait for tests.

I have not yet finished all my paperwork, still at a loss to what to put on my bio page! 

Good to hear your progress Leanne. It's such massive gesture/gift, you're an inspiration!

The journey has finally actually put in full motion! Injections have started ![indecision|20x20](upload://JDvwB4BqTlXmc0TRZyEqziKCrM.gif "indecision")

It has been a longer road than expected. Had to wait for the recipient's test results to come through. Another 3 month wait, but we are here and I have started.

I wondered since my last post as we have newer members if anyone else has been through this process? 

Leanne - thanks for sharing your experiences!

I considered egg donation for a while, but was put off by the lack of anonymity. As someone who is definitely childfree, I was not willing to take the risk of having a bunch of people track me down in 18+ years.

My decision was finally made fully by the discovery of some health issues with genetic predisposition.

Good luck with everything Leanne - you are doing something so wonderful, you really are inspirational! ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Scorpius12 wrote:

Good luck with everything Leanne - you are doing something so wonderful, you really are inspirational!

+1 👍 I would have loved to donate my eggs if I was 10 years younger and in good health.

Happy to read that the journey has really started, wishing you all of the best with it x

This was a good thread to read as it is something that I have considered but I am very far from a decision.

Thank you all. I have some reasons for what I am doing and that is what is driving me.

It definitely needs to be thoroughly thought about and looked into extensively before embarking on the injections. It takes up a lot of your own time, I have to inject EVERY evening at 7pm for the next month... Maybe longer depending on the outcome of my scan.

The injections themselves are not painful, irritating but not sore but the side effects are the big downside. I have hot flushes, tiredness and mood swings. Basically, the injections make you go through a kinda fake menopause.

This does not affect your eggs for future use and does not make you go into menopause any earlier in life. Also, there is the potential for OHSS, as mentioned in this thread. 

For anyone considering it, I would recommend an open day at the clinic you are considering and to definitely take the counselling sessions. If they do not offer this or even worse they make you feel 'bullied' into it, they sound like a place to avoid. 

As someone who would be reliant on egg donation if I want to become pregnant I'd like add my voice in saying how amazing, beautiful and unselfishly giving you and everyone else who is considering doing this is.

I hope you stay happy and well through the process and thank you for sharing your experience.

Good on you Leanne! X

Proud of you hon!

I wanted to comment earlier but I was at work and I could NOT log in on my phone for some reason!

I donated eggs twice, once to one lady (anonymously) and the second time to two ladies (also anonymous). The first donation was successful, and there is a little boy out there somewhere who will be 4 this May. The second donation unfortunately neither of my recipients successfully carried to term, and it was difficult for me to hear that so I can't imagine how awful it must have been for those two ladies :(

The side effects of the daily injections that sort of "turn off" your own hormones so that they can control what's going on weren't fun for me - I got the hot flushes and mood swings and such too - and the first period after my own hormones kicked back in was truly horrible, but overall it was so worth it.

Best of luck with it Leanne, happy to answer any questions you might have too of course :)