Electra Stim type toys.

Looking for a bit of advice really.

Mrs K wants to buy an Electra Stim' type product. In addition to this she wants something to clip onto nipples, my nipples as they are very sensitive. We have found an 'electric' product that does this. But We really we want to buy something that will go with the Electra Stim unit but all these toys say not to use above the waist. Is it really that dangerous ? Has anyone tried these on nipples ?

Thanks for any advice x

The thing about the waist is a disclaimer. There are and will continue to be people who use these products above the waist, for the vast majority, there will never be a problem, but for someone somewhere, there's a small chance it could confuse the nervous system's reactions to the electrical pulses of the heart. Even more so if you have any non organic material (valves, pacemaker, whatever).
So long story short, use above the waist at your own will and own risk.

When I tried an electronic stimulation it was tricky, sometimes painful and the end result wasn't much different to a typical vibration. It's up to you but it's probably simpler to buy vibrating nipple clamps.

At Lovehoney, we stick with the general Electra-Stim recommendation that these products should never be used above the waist. We've rejected lots of e-stim products that come with 'nipple clamps' for the precise reason that they're not safe.

From a personal perspective - is it really worth the risk? I couldn't justify risking a heart attack/condition for the sake of an orgasm, but maybe that's just me? 

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

From a personal perspective - is it really worth the risk? I couldn't justify risking a heart attack/condition for the sake of an orgasm, but maybe that's just me?

+1 That would be my thinking as well. And I can definitely understand the "don't use nowhere near your neck/throat" rule; the possibility of getting an unexpected spasm in the muscles of your throat (that could easily make you choke to death) is seriously off-putting.

Last Christmas I bought a Mystim Truman, a seriously cool vibrator/e-stim combo, and I can say I definitely enjoy the tingling feeling of electrostimulation (I would definitely not mind giving a try to more e-stim toys) but I still feel like going for the "better safe than sort" approach...

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

At Lovehoney, we stick with the general Electra-Stim recommendation that these products should never be used above the waist. We've rejected lots of e-stim products that come with 'nipple clamps' for the precise reason that they're not safe.

Absolutely agree with this. In general you should be safe providing the path between the electrodes does not go through the heart. However, I never consider this "should" to be worth the risk. Personally I would use them above the waist but never onto or above the ribcage. There are studies that show it's safe (I can't find them at the moment) but, again, for me it's not worth it.

Been considering electra stim toys for a long time. Read a lot about it. Take it from a doctor friend of mind there are only 2 things in BDSM which can never be done 100% safely.

1-Breathplay/choking- always a risk of a heart attack even after you finish.

2- electrical play which passed across the chest cavity.

You will get people who say they do it and didn't suffer ill affects. But they can never made 100% safe and will always be a danger and risk of serious injury or even death. With that disclaimer upto you if you want to risk that on your OH or yourself.... IMO Sex and kink should never have that risk.

If E-stim toys tell you not to use them above the waist they do it for good reason especially aimed at people with heart problems and pacemakers, people who do have a pacemaker fitted shouldn't be using electro muscle stimulation devices at all they can interfere with the pacemaker

myghost wrote:

If E-stim toys tell you not to use them above the waist they do it for good reason especially aimed at people with heart problems and pacemakers, people who do have a pacemaker fitted shouldn't be using electro muscle stimulation devices at all they can interfere with the pacemaker

And in precisely the opposite reality, if an E-Stim toy tells you you can use it above the waist or on the chest, DON'T BUY IT.

Just because it says it on the box doesn't mean that they have a different design or that they've made it 'safer'. It just means they don't know what they're talking about and (based on that alone) it's probably more dangerous than other designs so I would steer well clear. 

E-Stim is one of the few areas where it really really is not worth buying cheap or ignoring safety regulations. 

Other than that - have fun! 

Lovehoney - Jess wrote:

myghost wrote:

And in precisely the opposite reality, if an E-Stim toy tells you you can use it above the waist or on the chest, DON'T BUY IT.

Just because it says it on the box doesn't mean that they have a different design or that they've made it 'safer'. It just means they don't know what they're talking about and (based on that alone) it's probably more dangerous than other designs so I would steer well clear.

E-Stim is one of the few areas where it really really is not worth buying cheap or ignoring safety regulations.

Other than that - have fun!

Great advice. So many people read the safety advice and take it as gospel, whilst not also using good old common sense!