Female sterilisation

I looked into this due to huge mood swings on the pill, we knew we didn’t want any more children and so a permanent solution was needed. Husband decided he would go for the snip himself as I’d (in his words) already had 2 major operations caused by him (c-sections) and so it was his turn. I understand it’s not suitable for a lot of people but it’s worked for us, I’ve come off the pill and he’s happy no more mood swings, libido certainly back and best of all no chance of any more kids!

5 Likes

Mine said the exact same thing :rofl: he would have it done, cos I had a emergency section and I’ve given him 3 children, my body has been through a lot. But it’s something that I want to have done, I’ve been on the pill since I was 15 and really want to come off it now

1 Like

I must admit that I’m finding it a little odd that the c-sections and birth operations are somehow considered the fault of the partner. :slightly_smiling_face: Do a lot of people feel this way?

I said to mine, how is it your fault :woman_shrugging: you didn’t cause him to get distressed and keep changing positions, it’s something that’s out of our control. Must admit having a emergency section was scary as hell not knowing he’s ok but, it definitely wasn’t his fault that I had to have it

3 Likes

I don’t feel that way, one was emergency and the other scheduled due to what happened the first time round. My husband struggled with it all but didn’t say anything until we had the sterilisation conversation and he piped up…I’ll be honest I was relieved it was him and not me

5 Likes

No such thing as ‘minor’ abdominal surgery… Male sterilisation is far less invasive than female (fewer post procedure issues with adhesions etc).

4 Likes

I’ve just come back from my hospital appointment, the lady I saw was lovely (same first name as me) she had no problem in putting me forward but just had concerns about the procedure cos of my body and BMI and where I had the c section there’s a lot of scar tissue already cos of how big the scar is and what problems could happen I’ve got my family to think about so I might go for the marina coil.

1 Like

That’s good.
I would take some time to research the coil and the sterilisation so you are well informed and can make decision that will be best for you.
How is does your body cope with contraception.
What are your personal pros and cons to the sterilisation.
Good luck x

1 Like

Thank you :blush: yesterday we did weight out the pros and cons of both, and to me I don’t want to put myself at risk, I’ve got my family to think of. It does work out better for me to have the coil and I would have less chance of getting pregnant then I would have my tubes tied. I’ve got an appointment with my Dr on Tuesday to go through it all with the coil.

2 Likes

I personally would 100% reccomend you discuss with him about having a vascttomy rather than you having the female sterlization.

The vasectomy is a much safer and less invasive procedure which is done and about 30 minutes so in and out with about 2 hours. Less risks with this for the men than there is for the female equivalent.

I never suffered much pain with the op more discomfort thab pain for around 5 days and no problems since having it done.

2 Likes

I’m not having it done now, as I said above I’m not putting myself at risk, I’ve got my family to think about.

@Dirty-Wife I got snipped earlier this year, and if you are not going forward with getting your tubes tied and your OH is game for it, it’s really a very quick and simple outpatient procedure. The hardest part was some soreness afterwards and not being able to cum for a week or two :grimacing:

3 Likes

Is there a reason you’re going for mirina rather than paragard if the main motivator is to get away from contraceptive hormones?

1 Like

The side effects that I’m having on the pill I won’t be getting on the mirena coil.

My partner also had the snip very recently and he was in and out in less than 20 minutes! Think he only took painkillers for a day or two, it was much better than he thought it would be. Counting down to a contraceptive free sex life :smiley:

6 Likes

I’m gonna talk to the Dr about having the copper coil.
With the coil I was just wondering about having sex before and after the fitting, when I was talking to the Dr last week about having it done, they didn’t say anything about sex before hand, and I forgot to ask :woman_facepalming: so just wanted to know if we can’t have sex and how long before :slightly_smiling_face:

Read up all your options @Dirty-Wife

There are lots of horror stories out there as people tend to leave bad reviews more than good ones I found when I was thinking of having one.

I’m on my 2nd mirena coil now…and it took a while for my 1st one to settle. But the 2nd one alot easier.

As to sex think it’s ok pretty much as soon as it’s fitted…not too sure about beforehand though. Maybe ring up and ask… or look it up. They’re used to patients asking allsorts.

Good luck.

1 Like

Just confused what one :woman_facepalming::woman_shrugging: I just keep going in-between them both. I’ll just talk through it again with the Dr when I go next Thursday :slightly_smiling_face:

I’d absolutely give a thumbs up for the Mirena coil @Dirty-Wife I had several of them and they worked great for me. No side effects and it’s not too unpleasant having them fitted. My periods went from heavy to extremely light too, which was a bonus!
The copper coil caused my periods to become so heavy that I could hardly leave the house for the first two days of a period, after a year I couldn’t stand it any longer and had it removed.

1 Like

Thank you. I’m edging more to the mirena coil again :joy:

1 Like