The snip?

Good morning

I have just started thinking about getting the snip, i am in my early 30s and the OH has had issues on contraception where they have wiped out her periods in the past for 3 years or mood swings etc.

Any advice on this stuff would be great. Like pros and cons.

Worried about losing sex drive or change in mood etc

Hi Jay13. I had the snip 3 years ago at 28. We decided we had enough kids and we didn't want anymore. I hate wearing condoms and the pill wasn't making the wife happy. I have only experienced two problems. I got a surgical infection in the days after which was f^cking disgusting as it opened up the stitches and ended up spending 3 days in hospital. I would say the pain from the op itself wasn't to shabby and some fairly low level pain killers will sort you out. The second is the tubes now have scar tissue so if you were feeling around the balls you would notice a little lump on each side. Worrying the first time you notice if you weren't aware.

On the pro side. No need for condoms, the OH doesn't need to take any hormone changing contraception, after a couple of weeks you are ready to go, it's in no way changed my sexual desires and it hasn't affected the orgasm/load.

It is a big step to take as the reversal isn't always possible so make sure you have no desire for any more kids first. You will get an appointment before the OP to discuss all this though. Good luck with making up your mind.

I've had the snip twice. After three kids I had it done first time. I paid privately for it as I was still fairly young and wanted to leave an option open of reversal.
Sure enough a few years later I re married and we wanted kids. I had it successfully reversed by the same surgeon.
Three more kids later, I really decided I'd definitely done enough to the world population so had the snip again. This time on the NHS.

As regards my experience with it, yes the operation is uncomfortable but no way as uncomfortable as a woman giving birth. Anyone with a decent pain threshold won't find it an issue. Age is important, 28 is too young unless you're one hundred percent certain there are no circumstances that would make you want kids again!! I'm glad I paid first time as they took more into account the fact its possible to have it reversed. The NHS operation was no more painful but the surgeon seemed to gloat on the fact his work would not be reversible. Fortunately there is no way I'd need more kids now. So really you have to think whether it really is the end of the line as far as having kids is concerned. As regards sex drive etc, absolutely no difference. In some ways it makes sex easier as no risk of pregnancy if no other birth control to hand!!!

I haven’t heard of anyone losing their sex drive or having mood changes after having the snip but it’s not a hormonal option nor does it involve putting anything in your body so that’s probably why. The concerns would be potential infection, keeping the area clean afterwards and wanting children at a later date. I would go with your partner to the doctor and discuss through the options. They can give you a better run down of what to expect and what downsides there may be for you. Good luck!

I slightly agree with Michael777 about 28 being to young, however i have 3 kids the third being an absolute devil child, and decided i didn't want any more at any point. I want to still be fairly young by the time they have grown up. It was also a financial decision, i simple couldn't afford to bring more kids. I want them to grow up in a finacially secure environment. If i had more i couldn't provide that, of course there are promotions and working additional hours but i would rather not work 12-14 hours a day and barely see them. I think it's a personal decision that only you can make.

I have just returned to work after having the snit the procedure is ver straight forward they make a 5mm insishion just under you manhood and quaterise the 2 tubes the recovery is fairly quick yes it is a little uncomfortable for a few days so a good reason to take it easy I have had no problems apart from a dull ache every now and a again as for sex drive mine is stronger than ever much to the disappointment of my wife!!!! The insishion has almost fully healed I have had 2 weeks off work plus I am 30 and with 2 wonderful children

I had the snip after we decided that the two kids we had was enough. Had it done on the NHS so waited about 10 months from the initial GP appointment and subsequent referral to actually having the Op. The procedure was carried out under local anaesthetic so although there was no pain other than receiving the anaesthetic injection, you could feel pulling of tubes etc. but nothing to worry about. The procedure itself literally took about twenty minutes once you were on the table. After several days of being tender and wearing good supporting underwear everything was back to normal. The main downside for me was having to wait about six months before getting confirmation that the Op was a success (you need to provide samples to the lab within 30 mins of ejaculating, which is difficult when you consider parking etc). Sex drive hasn’t changed and it’s great not having to use a condom and really takes all the burden on the OH to have to think about contraception.

I had the operation a few years ago.

The operation was quick and done in a local doctors surgery near my house, not a hospital. It took minutes and I was back home. Slight uncomfort in walking but the actual operation was painless. The worst part was the smell of your flesh burning, as such, from the laser cutter. Very reminiscint of toast.

Now as for my sex drive, it's higher. maybe thats just me but I seem horny all the time. I'm 43 and lucky to have a wife with a high labido too.

No complaints here.

I had it done few years ago, just an appointment at my GP's. One stitch and your away. I did have a slight problem with a very minor infection but no pain. No issues with sex drive

Pro's- no babies, no condoms, no pill for the ladies

Cons- no real cons, consistency of your cum is different thats about all that changes. Small scar on your balls

Commenting as someone with a husband that had the snip at a young age...

It has now had a huge impact after he has moved on from his ex(the reason he got it done) and now the only way we can consider me getting pregnant is IVF ICSI or possible sperm donor, at a huge cost to us, this after paying 2 grand for a reversal! 

Please just make sure this is what you want as it may be reversed that is not a guarantee in any shape or form. 

Leanne I am sorry to hear that. You make a really good point, you need to be 100% sure before you decide, and yes, consider the future.

For us it was easy decision due to my age and my wifes disability, I have kids from my ex and we discussed at length when we first got together that I wanted no more and for my OH she has no wish to have children and her disability would make life extremely difficult if she was to have any.

I'm due for a vasectomy in less than 3 weeks. Our motivation was just like many others. We both hate kids, they were never in our future plans. We've been together 10 years and she's been on the pill for at least 9 of those. (We were a long distance couple and each others first sexual partners)

Condoms took a bit of a back seat after the pill came along but there is no need for her to be on a pill every day if I take the bullets out of the gun so to speak. I waited 7 months for my appointment, I wouldn't say I'm nervous about it, but ask me again in the car on the way there.

I'm just sorry I never looked into this earlier in life. One of the upshots of coming off the pill is an increased sex drive in women, so that is something I am seriously looking forward to!

I can only see positives, the week off work is a nice touch as well!

After two kids and partner on the mini pill for 7 years instead or 4 as doctor recommended i decided to get the snip and partner agreed as no more kids.

Best thing I ever done as sex drive is higher now and no risk of contraception for me or her.

I felt like a right Billy Sore Balls and a few days off work and they do heal nicely in that no problems shaving down there now.

As mentioned several times above, you really have to be sure about having the snip. I was lucky I had mine successfully reversed but they will always tell you it has to be treated as non reversible. You may feel all loved up with your partner now, but things and people change, so take in to account you just may want children with someone else. Without being too morbid, what if something happened to one or more of your children, would that change your thoughts too?
When I had it done second time it was a no brainer for me after six kids. I was also lucky that after having a boy first, I then had five girls. Each subsequent time I only wanted a girl so I've again been lucky and blessed with five of the most gorgeous daughters any father could wish for. My youngest is two and a half and really is my little angel / princess. I really couldn't imagine ever wanting any more children now plus as previously mentioned earlier, I also believe I've reached an age where I want to be able to see my youngest grow up in to an adult and more.
Just be more than one hundred percent sure before having it done

One other thing to consider is if there is a history of cardiac problems in your family. If you need bypass surgery there is an increased risk in those who have had a vasectomy due to one of the medicines used.

I had it done some years ago. Whe Mrs D and I decided we were permanent, my son was grown up and having children would be her worst nightmare.

I have to admit, it was bloody painful, the Dr banged huge amounts of local in me but it still felt like he was pulling my tubes down from my ears!!! Add to that the smell of burning me as he cauterised the tube ends and it was not the best experience of my life.

Don't let that put you off though.......plenty of men have reported it being totally painless

Yes as sd63 as said, don't let my comment put you off.

You know your lifestyle better than anyone. I just always feel I need to share my own experience to help people get a full idea of the impact it may have. 

All the best in whatever decision you come to :) 

I've had the snip, 9 years ago. Very much a key-hole surgery these days. In and out in 30 mins. Just make sure you take it easy for 2 days (like really easy!) to prevent complications.

After that - absolutely no loss of libido, I can assure you. Quite the opposite, knowing there's zero risk now!

Lovehoney - Leanne wrote:

You know your lifestyle better than anyone. I just always feel I need to share my own experience to help people get a full idea of the impact it may have.

I think your post is probably the most important one Leanne as it points out exactly the issues someone having the snip may truly face. You are in the most unfortunate position possible in this type of scenario and must be really heart breaking at times. It really is a decision that must not be taken too lightly.

Michael777 wrote:

Lovehoney - Leanne wrote:

I think your post is probably the most important one Leanne as it points out exactly the issues someone having the snip may truly face. You are in the most unfortunate position possible in this type of scenario and must be really heart breaking at times. It really is a decision that must not be taken too lightly.

Thank you, yes it is, especially as his ex has gone on to have a baby with someone else now too. 

But he thought he was saving his marriage and did what was best at the time, sadly has now had a HUGE impact on our future. 

It is a big decision so I do hope my input helps give a better picture of all outcomes.