Had my initial appointment

I completely understand where you're coming from. Stepping out the front door is such a task for me too. I rarely leave the house alone because I and up making a fool of myself taking panic attacks, running out of shops because I'm freaking out or panic attacking. I tend to lock myself away in my bedroom 90% of the time. It's difficult because my oh has similiar issues so we feed off eachother leading to it becoming worse. Although we also are very supportive of eachother which is a comfort.
It's really difficult to get out of the routine and the longer it goes on it gets alot harder. I'm so glad you're getting help hunni and hope you can kick your mental health issues ass. It will take awhile to get better, Rome wasn't built in a day but one step at a time and you'll get there. Just take it slowly,don't rush into discussing stuff you're not ready to.
Everytime I feel ready for therapy by the time the appointment comes around I'm not ready anymore so have missed alot of opportunities. I'm so glad you waited it out and are now getting the help you need.
Mental health does need to be more widely discussed. There's people who think "it's mental health you can snap out of it", this really winds me up as it's certainly not that simple if we could snap out of it don't they think we would?
Anyway I've babbled on long enough so I'll sign off by saying I'm really proud of you and thank you for sharing your experience, its encouraged alot of people to open up about mental health 💜xx

Well done on getting the help you need Kirsty, and I'm so glad it is helping *hugs* xx

Thank you and I understand what you mean slinky binky lately I can't even motivate myself to go to the shops like 5 minutes away (although I'm sure that's because it's so bitterly cold, at least that's my reasoning) it must be even more difficult for you and your OH although st least you can help and support each other and have an idea on what the other is going through. I can't stand people saying things like snap out of it too and "why are you withdrawn" if I knew I'd tell you and no I can't "just think positive" or "snap out of it" it doesn't work like that. I won't rush myself but I've actually been looking forward to talk about most things so I can see a professionals outlook on it

Thank you scorpius *hugs*

the cold weather doesn't help at all hunni. I never want to get out of bed, never mind the front door! Motivation is near impossible to find when you're feeling this way. It's a really hard illness to deal with isn't it? Yeah I honestly don't think I'd be here today if i hadn't of met oh, honestly I was on a path of destruction when we met. I don't know why he wanted me, I'm so glad he did though. We have helped each other alot too, he was really bad with his depression and anxiety when we first met too but we helped each other and started to get back to normality (whatever that is) then various events happened like health issues and loosing loved ones it triggers the depression and anxiety off all over again, we we got stuck in a rut again. I mean we always say we've got a wonderful relationship so why can't we get past this? But unfortunately it isn't that simple, I don't want to waste my best years or whole life like this but don't know what to do about it. I'm more than sure we are both too much for the Drs to handle!
There's nought worse than ignorance "what have you got to be down about", "sort yourself out" etc. If only it was that simple!
What you said earlier about more awareness needs to be made for mental health issues is spot on. There's so many folk who think; its in your head so easily solved. We wish!
Thats really positive to hear you're looking forward to talking and getting a professional's outlook. You know your own pace to go at, and you seem proper ready. You're making me take a long look at myself, I'm thinking I need to deal with mine and so does oh. *♡*xx

the cold weather doesn't help at all hunni. I never want to get out of bed, never mind the front door! Motivation is near impossible to find when you're feeling this way. It's a really hard illness to deal with isn't it? Yeah I honestly don't think I'd be here today if i hadn't of met oh, honestly I was on a path of destruction when we met. I don't know why he wanted me, I'm so glad he did though. We have helped each other alot too, he was really bad with his depression and anxiety when we first met too but we helped each other and started to get back to normality (whatever that is) then various events happened like health issues and loosing loved ones it triggers the depression and anxiety off all over again, we we got stuck in a rut again. I mean we always say we've got a wonderful relationship so why can't we get past this? But unfortunately it isn't that simple, I don't want to waste my best years or whole life like this but don't know what to do about it. I'm more than sure we are both too much for the Drs to handle!
There's nought worse than ignorance "what have you got to be down about", "sort yourself out" etc. If only it was that simple!
What you said earlier about more awareness needs to be made for mental health issues is spot on. There's so many folk who think; its in your head so easily solved. We wish!
Thats really positive to hear you're looking forward to talking and getting a professional's outlook. You know your own pace to go at, and you seem proper ready. You're making me take a long look at myself, I'm thinking I need to deal with mine and so does oh. *♡*xx

Hi Kirsty,

first off well done on taking the first steps towards your recovery by speaking to your doctor.

I myself being a young otherwise healthy male in a very male orientated profession as a firefighter, found it very hard to accept what was going on with my mental health and wellbeing, and even more so I didn't want to accept it as I thought my colleagues would think I'm weak and would begin treating me differently.

And regrettably it took just over 2 years of putting my wife and daughter and my colleagues through constant mood swings(happy to sad), and social avoidance(wouldn't sit and eat at table with colleagues, would take myself away and sit in room on my own rather than be near others, wouldn't attend work Xmas parties,birthdays etc). And minor self harm (pain release) by scratching, no one was aware I was doing this I must add, as I'm sure they would have stepped in before if they knew it was going on. It took my wife threatening to leave and a colleague saying they was worried about me for me to take my first steps towards recovery by going to my doctor.

The result of that first appointment was a referral to the wellbeing team which was sorted for the following day. After sitting down for almost 1.5 hrs of talking to them and completing the depression and anxiety scale test i was diagnosed with severe clinical depression and social anxiety disorder almost instantly I felt an overwhelming release of pressure as I now had a reason and a name for why I was feeling how I was. I was instantly put on medication for both my depression and axiety aswell as being referred for Cognitive behaviour therapy.

im now 14 months down the line of my recovery and my depression is completely gone, and I've made massive steps with my social anxiety issues to the point I managed to attend my works Xmas party in December just gone and although I didn't leave the comfort of my seat around the dinner table I was there and I was enjoying myself for the first time in a long time.

during my 14 months of recovery I took an even bigger and bolder step and enrolled in a mental health awareness degree though my work which was completed through distant learning(don't think I could have handled rooms full of people at uni then lol). I passed it with flying colours and now have a better understanding of what and why i was suffering from these mental health illnesses and also how to cope/manage them.

So please know it is possible to come out the other side feeling better and back to the person you want to be. I've gone from being happy one minute, crying the next, being argumentative the next, and being completely silent and distant. To a almost always happy although still on my gaurd during social events bubbly individual that is trying to live life to the fullest. And everyone around me is amazed by my transformation.

We are all behind you, having a support network is the best way to come out the other side with a smile x

if you need anything I'm hear

Jimjam26 that's amazing well done

And yeah I know how you both feel it's not talked about i felt weak that's why i never cry in public or open up (if I open up I'll cry)

It's a long and complicated issue mental health and I hate being told "you're young why are you down?" Or "just cheer up" oh thanks because I hadn't thought of that I woke up thinking I'll continue to feel like a depressive piece of shit today carry on my streak 😒

I'm sure you and your OH will manage and help each other slinky binky

Has anyone ever been fobbed off by their doctor for having these issues? I hate going to the doctors anyway, but the thought of being told I'm wasting their time puts me off. And I feel like I would be wasting their time, because I don't think pills or therapy will resolve my real issues.

One of my doctors told me to "see how it goes"

Update: therapist got back to me yesterday but only just been able to call him back now. I am due to undergo stage 2 cognitive behaviour therapy via computer. I chose the route of computer because I can do it around work and it's only a week waiting list (but just as effective if not more) but face to face would've been nice but it's a 3-4 month waiting list to be told the same thing to my face. Apparently there will be someone to support me all the time, the site is accessible 24/7 so can do it around my work

One of my doctors told me to "see how it goes"

Update: therapist got back to me yesterday but only just been able to call him back now. I am due to undergo stage 2 cognitive behaviour therapy via computer. I chose the route of computer because I can do it around work and it's only a week waiting list (but just as effective if not more) but face to face would've been nice but it's a 3-4 month waiting list to be told the same thing to my face. Apparently there will be someone to support me all the time, the site is accessible 24/7 so can do it around my work

doctors
If i told you my story i would be here all day.
i know the feels

I take anti depression pills.
because apariently at the time i was depressed
but actuly i had breathing difficultys -_-
i been in and out the hospital my hole life.
had 9 operations, 2 of them destryoed most my life (i have difficulty spelling btw sorry)
im 28 female!

i dont post on these pages offten
but i just thought i would let you know that you are not the only one hun xx

i go to a group to help the issues
not just that but i have a physical disability aswell.

where do you want me to start.
i was at the hospital every weak for random stuff.
only last year the hospital has stopped thank god.
it has played a big part of my life and i just had enough.

yes always feel like i waist doctors time
but they are the ones who give me an opointment because they want to keep and eye out for me.
im an unsual case lol

i dont know how to delete this comment >.<

missyO wrote:

Has anyone ever been fobbed off by their doctor for having these issues? I hate going to the doctors anyway, but the thought of being told I'm wasting their time puts me off. And I feel like I would be wasting their time, because I don't think pills or therapy will resolve my real issues.

where do you want me to start.
i was at the hospital every weak for random stuff.
only last year the hospital has stopped thank god.
it has played a big part of my life and i just had enough.

yes always feel like i waist doctors time
but they are the ones who give me an opointment because they want to keep and eye out for me.
im an unsual case lol

I'm sorry about that miss dee

Hey Kirsty..

Firstly, go you for getting help! I know it can be hard, but it's definately the first step in the right direction!

I too live with depression (I also have a few other things getting funky in my brain but i won't say too much about that stuff) after being diagnosed at 14... But if you need any help remember that even though we haven't spoken yet, I'd be happy to listen! and I'm sure there are loads of other people here for you too!

Big hugs! and good luck too! x

thank you so much HappyHippy

I'm about half way through and it's not doing too bad the online journal helps more than anything i just hope it actually makes me imporve because at the moment there's not much improvement.

Been told today there's some programme i can go for if i want to i think it's for my self esteem and i want to but it's during work so will have to try and book the day off and as my brothers op is due at the end of the month i don't know how much time i need off for that to help my parents.

Hi Kristy it's great to see you're sticking with it and giving it your best shot 😊 I have no idea about how much it will help. A close family member of mine has been though like a half course of cbt and stopped but the change in said persons thinking is evident. This person was very negative especially on themselves and has changed alot. They still have had times but nowhere near as bad as before. If you're seeing any improvement then that's progress 👌 and if come the end you feel like you need more than you could look into a face to face option. I understand your work commitments really I do, but, on the flipside your health all be it mental or physical is the one of, if not the most important thing in the world. Which leads me to ask, could you speak to any of your employers about additional time off if required? If you don't feel that's an option as not wanting to publicly speak about it or just don't feel you can, could you squeeze these appointments in around work? I'm so hopeful that it does work and this course sounds good for self esteem too, you've obviously found the right people which is key.
Also sorry to hear about your brother having surgery, hope all goes well hunni 💜xx

Jimbo thank you 4 sharing such a possitive story, there's so many people who will take encouragement from that, myself included. So happy you've came so far in a relatively short period, that's amazing and so nice to read. Im sure youll continue to enjoy life and further your recovery with social situations. Its incredible to read how far you have came 💜xx

Happy hippy and miss see, hope to see both of you and anyone else make recoveries in the near future 💜xx