Hand washing lingerie advice

So I’ve just bought my first two bits of lingerie. I saw them in the sale and I thought “why not?” I was putting it off a bit because I didn’t know if I’d like it as I’m a bigger woman (UK size 18) and I didn’t want to spend £20-£40 on something I didn’t know if I’d like. Also some people are a bit iffy with the sizing saying it’s either too big or too small so I want to know where I stand in the sizing on here incase I need to size up or down or if I’m fine with my current size of 18.

One of them is like a mesh material and one is like a lace material. Will I be able to hand wash them? If so how? I don’t really want to use a washing machine because I live with my family and I don’t want them questioning me all the time because they can be quite nosey. I’ll link them down below:

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

I hand-wash most of ours using the ‘warm water and baby shampoo’ technique, and then pat dry between a couple of towels. :+1:

There’s a Lovehoney Guide that you might find useful:

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/blog/lingerie-care-guide.html

4 Likes

Most lingerie can be handwashed. If you need to do it discretely then pop in the sink in the bathroom, wash gently, don’t scrub at delicates and squeeze out most of the water. You can dry off further by wrapping a towel round it and squeezing a bit more… at least it won’t be dripping wet by then.

Oh just seen @Ian_Chimp suggestion of baby shampoo, great idea!

5 Likes

I second @wildflower 's advice :grin: They also make washing liquid specifically designed for delicates that’s less harsh and doesn’t have any added dyes, perfumes, etc. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Love the lace body!
I’ve just washed my pair of Cheri Lace knickers in the washing machine instead of handwash :see_no_evil: Mainly because none of my clothes are hand washed only. They’ve came out of the wash absolutely fine- may use my delicate wash bag next time though. I have two older sons and it’s difficult to hang up my new array of underwear - don’t think they take much notice thankfully :blush:

2 Likes

I bought some laundry bags for my wife to throw lingerie in. They are great for bras, strappy items and anything you don’t want stretched out, especially in the dryer when it twists everything into a knot.

Just throw your gear in the bag, zip it or snap it tight and throw the whole bag in the washer. Keeps everything safe and doesn’t allow stretching, twisting or damage to some expensive and extremely delicate items.

Here is an example: https://www.amazon.com/Laundry-Bags-Delicates-Organize-Underwear/dp/B075YV41GQ/ref=sr_1_10?crid=N83QJW26E9U9&dchild=1&keywords=lingerie+laundry+bags+mesh+wash+bags&qid=1624641962&sprefix=lingerie+laundry+%2Caps%2C198&sr=8-10

1 Like

Another top tip: fasten bras up before you put them in the washer, and that will stop the hooks catching on things. :+1:

5 Likes

@Ian_Chimp Learnt this trick last week when my whole washing load was attached to my one bra hook :upside_down_face::rofl:

@sharbur I hand wash most of my LH lingerie in the sink with a hand wash/ delicate detergent and have a small airer in my room for them to dry on. I also have one of those bra type laundry bags with a zip closure to put lingerie that I can’t be bothered to hand wash in with the washing machine. It stays closed and is discreet so that’s always an option if you wanted to air dry them in your room too.

5 Likes

I put my machine washable lingerie in a pillowcase and tie it up before popping into the machine. Keeps all the delicates from getting snagged on other things.

1 Like

@Ian_Chimp can I put them on the radiator to dry or does it have to be completely air dried?

I rinse them and squeeze out as much water as I can (without being too rough), then pat them dry between two towels, and then hang them inside on the airer. Most of it dries really quickly, though things with padding can take longer.

But if your radiator doesn’t get too hot, and they’re not directly on it, you should be okay. :+1:

1 Like

Yes of course you should be able to hand wash them in a bowl of warm water mixed with a little detergent.

2 Likes

I hand-wash all of my lingerie, merely because I want it to last longer. I do hang everything up inside to dry though, and have a dehumidifier nearby to help the drying process.

1 Like

My wife wanted me to put my lacy delicates in the washer with her’s.

Although I have a mesh laundry bag, I prefer to take my delicates in the shower with me to wash once I have enough for laundering.

I find that this saves time and avoids any excess water being splashed around from hand washing in a sink.

Baby shampoo is a mild detergent, so is perfect for use on delicate materials such as lace etc.

Once rinsed, I gently squeeze out the excess water before pegging them out on an Addis 28 Peg Airer. I either attach the airer to the support bar of our walk-in shower, or the bars of our towel radiator during the winter months (non-drying days).

I always ensure that none of the material comes into direct contact with any heat source like the radiator.

1 Like

You will usually find your washing machine will have a spin only function, which is what I use once I have hand washed the things that need this sort of wash. Most things then come out almost dry.

4 Likes