Having nipples pierced

Iam thinking about having my nipples pierced

what is / was your experince of having them done, regarding pain, healing and how to clean afterwards etc.

Was it a desision well made or you regret doing ?

any advise would be most welcomed thanks.

1 Like

I've never had a nipple/s pierced, only ears and tongue. I can tell you though that you should go to a professional. Go to one that uses a needle, not a gun, more precision, more care taken. A clean, sterilised place.

There is just simple healing involving turning the ring/barbell so that it doesn't heal into the skin. It's unpleasant but not overly so.

The pain of the actual piercing is over so quickly that it's bearable no matter where. My tongue, I thought, 'I can't take it' exactly as it finished.

Good luck! I'm sure there'll be others along shortly..

Oh, I forgot to say, with my tongue, I don't wear a barbell any longer, though it has remained open for over 20 years. But the beauty with a piercing is that it's so small, it's not an issue.

My tattoo on the other hand... 2 years and counting removing that monstrosity.. *sigh*

So, don't like? Take out. Done. Nothing could be simpler.

Hi Solitare225

I had my left nipple pierced many tears ago now. My right was naturally perky, but my left not, so I made the desist on to have it pierced. I traveled for about an hour on a train to go to Sheffielf, to a tattoo and piercing studio called "thou art". It is one of the best. It really is worth using a good studio.

I was made to go away and think about it and could not come back in less than an hour. Very sensible. I was asked if I wanted a female piercer, I wasn't bothered so got a man. He was very helpful, and professional. I was asked to lay down and he put two black dots on my nipple, one either side. Then I was asked to stand up and see if the dots were level (I wanted my piercing horizontal). I was happy so he then froze me with some spray, cleaned thoroughly,applied a sort of clamp to my nipple. Then pierced it with a needle, a tube fed over the needle and the needle was removed. The titanium bar went through the tube, then the tube was removed. All done.

I had no pain at all, honestly none. I cleaned it twice a day with salted water and gauss, turned it twice a day. It healed well, although it takes longer to heal than you think, maybe 3 months.

I still have mine pierced, and it has a 9ct gold bar in it with amythests in the balls.

My advice, do your research choose a good studio. Don't fiddle with the piercing, just clean it and turn it.

I've had both of mine done, around 3 months apart. Had them now around 2 years.
Pain wise, sure it hurts. It's a sensitive area! But it's pretty pointless saying how much it hurts as some people have said it's the worst they've ever had, some say it was a breeze. Myself? A wince and a outtake of breath and I was fine. It varies from person to person hugely.
Healing, well.. I still get crusting after two years. They're like most piercings which need continuous care to keep them clean and healthy. Though the initial pain, bleeding, etc stage lasted around 4-6 weeks for me.
Best cleaning advice I can give is to get a warm salt wash solution in a small cup, and let this wash over the piercing for a few minutes. Remove any crusties carefully with a clean cotton bud and leave to air dry.

I have recently thought of removing my piercings, but only because I'm pregnant and my nipples are crazy sore/sensitive with the hormones. Every time I get cold or excited by something, I find the gentle movement of the skin around the bars is agony for me at the moment.

If you've thought about it thoroughly, and you're sure it's something you want, I'd say go for it. Though as others have said, pick your piercer carefully x

I got my left nipple done about 8 months ago and I'm very happy with it!

It was quite painful getting it done, but as the pain doesn't last long (a few seconds really) it's bearable. I experienced a little discomfort the next few days as it was very sensitive and it kept bleeding a bit for about a week, but I never had any problem afterwards.

I had been thinking about it for years but for some time, I didn't have the money/the guts/a good professional studio around to get it done so I kept postponing... so it was really not a whim ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif)

I will get the other one done when I'm bored of having only one, haha!

Hi Solitaire225

I'd recommend searching the forum for information about Nipple Piercings - there are loooaaads of threads on this subject. 

Here is my advice from a few years ago though: 

"I trained in body piercing and have to say that each person responds to the pain and healing differently.

I have both of my nipples pierced. I have to say, it wasn't a "pleasant" experience, however I would happily have it done again if something happened to them. I've had them both pierced for about 6 years and although they have technically finished healing, they still play up from time to time and I need to treat them with a bit of care.

As far as sensitivity - I find that my nipples are more sensitive now and personally I'm pleased with them aesthetically too.

Key points to make sure you have the easiest piercing with minimal healing time:

- go to a reputable body piercer who uses needles (cannot stress this enough) and not a gun. (Believe it or not... some people WILL try this!!)

- do not have the piercing numbed. This extends healing dramatically and it really isn't good for any part of your body to be 'frozen' in this way.

- the initial bar should be at least 14mm in length (depending on nipple size) to allow for swelling.

- opt for a bar / barbell when you get pierced, not a ring/BCR. A ring will extend your healing period A LOT! Once it's healed, change it to anything you like!

- only titanium, PTFE/Bioplast or Blackline jewellery should be used in an initial piercing. Don't be fobbed off with stainless steel or anything else.

- clean regularly with saline / weak salt water (but don't overclean. 3 / 4 times a day is good)

- wait about 2 - 3 months before you even think about changing the jewellery, and even then, "play it by ear".

- when they've healed, only use water-based lubes for stretching and play. Oils and other creams could aggrevate the piercing.

- if you should end up with any complications (infection, soreness etc) don't be tempted to remove the piercing. Clean it with salt water and take Ibrobrufen. If it persists, visit your GP for antibiotics. Removing the piercing will only trap the infection making it more difficult to get rid of. Leaving the jewellery in gives your body a place for the infection to escape through.

Overall - even though it sounds like a lot of hard work - my nipples are probably 2 of my favourite piercings and I would never want to loose them. Even though they take a little maintainence, it's definitely worth it. Just like re-dying your hair, shaving your legs or anything else cosmetic, you need to maintain the care to keep them looking the best!"

I hope that helps a bit? The only update since that post in 2013 is that I've now had to retire one of my nipple peircings due to it refusing to heal. It was a sad day, and I still wish I had them both done, but the other one is still going strong! 

I have both mine done, don't regret it at all! The pain wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but there were a few seconds of a lot of pain when she was replacing the needle etc and getting the piercing in.

I went for straight bar, my friend went for rings from day one and even the piercer said she didn't really like putting in rings straight away as it would hurt more and was just generally harder for her to get it.

They do take a long time to heal, mine still go crusty sometimes 5 months on, but it's managable :)

Wow. This thread definitely made my mind up about NOT having them. Thanks! *shrieks away*

hi

thanks to you all,

for the advice given about nipple piercings. My oh got his done last week. A week later i took the plunge and had both mine pierced as well.

Still painfull but early days

I had mine pierced at the beginning of this year, before lockdown and covid and all that. Love them!

Getting them done was excruciating, I have never made such a horrible noise in my life. The increased sensitivity is nice but can be annoying during my period.