Hit by a car

Early yesterday morning my oh was out for an early morning training run. He always wears loads of reflective clothing and runs on quiet roads (we're talikng 4.30am) and runs well tucked in to the side of the roads.

He was running along and heard a car approaching from behind. The car hooted and oh thought it was just warning him that it was coming past but the next moment it drives into his right calf, rolls him over the bonnet and on to the ground. The driver stopped and just said that he thought oh was going to get off the road !! (He did have the decency to bring him home though at least) .

He's not seriously injured, thank god, but has a very sore calf and thigh. I'm posting this really as a warning as I know others on here run quite a lot. Please be careful - you may do everything you can to keep yourselves safe but you need to watch out very carefully.

And if you drive ? PLEASE watch out for runners and cyclists - he's been knocked off his bike 3 times too x

That is ridiculous!!! I hope your OH isn't too sore :(

I can't believe they beeped and then carried on driving, it's not like they haven't seen him. Bloody stupid people, they could have swerved to not hit him or something at least.

My dad bike rides every day and Ive lost count of the amount of times he's been knocked of his bike, I've stopped running at the moment due to baby taking up all my spare time but even when I had my motorbikes there was always idiots on the road who just have no regard for anyone else.

Oh god that's awful! I can't believe someone would do that - just because you bib your horn doesn't mean you can run someone over if they don't move out the way. Is getting where you need to be really that important :/

I hope your OH feels better soon, glad he's not seriously hurt xxx

Hope your OH isn't seriously hurt Terri, and that his training isn't affected.

Sounds like the driver was just... deluded.

Gosh Terri that's terrible!! I hope he's ok...

As a cyclist I know only too well how much attention drivers don't pay to us (other than to desperately try to sneak past at the soonest opportunity.) It's terrifying! 

Wishing him a speedy recovery - I hope it doesn't put him off getting back on the road running again! 

Hope your partner is ok Terri. Can you take advantage of him while he's recovering ![](upload://h7LJ67OOrR57VDYrj5ZEwwHAfLG.gif).

Have you thought about reporting the driver at all ?

That's disgusting! If t was me I'd report him to the police. Shouldn't be allowed to drive if he is knocking into people he clearly can see!

I use a moped in and around central London and there are some right idiots on the road, not just car and van drivers, but bus drivers and motorcyclists and cyclists too!

Been hit a couple of times and had a lot of near misses as well as been literally chased down roads by drivers because I'm riding at the speed limit even though the road is clear and choose not to break the law!

I have no tolerance for dangerous drivers who put others lives at risk

How can you beep someone and then hit them with your car. This guy was aware that your hubby was there because he beeped to acknowledge and in my eyes he then intentionally hit your hubby with his car. I would take this further. That person should not be in charge of a vehicle. Wreckless at best pre meditated at worst.
Hope hubby is ok. I would get him checked out though.

Awful what happened to your OH the driver obviously saw him and didn't see why he should move out of your partners way.

on the subject of cyclists though, I'm a learner driver and get 4 hours on the road a week for the past month, the amount of stupid arrogant cyclists I've seen in that time is rediculous, cycling on the inside of a round about and trying to push their way out, not indicating where they're going, cycling in groups of 5+ taking up the whole road with a massive que of cars behind them. Not only is it stupidly dangerous but makes other road users resent them, so the good cyclists that actually stay to the side are tarred with the same brush :/

Unfortunately some drivers are not aware of other vehicles let alone runners or cyclists. Two weeks ago i was in an rta not our fault it was all his stupidity and my c5 and c8 trapped nerves so not fun.

Wishing him a speedy recovery but maybe get it checked if it continues to ache because not all symptoms come out so soon x

That sounds really bad, why would someone do that?!?

If there was no one else on the road why would the driver expect your OH to get off the road? Why did he/she not just drive round?

The only advice I can offer is that it is expected that pedestrians walk (or run) into the traffic, so on the oposit side of the road to where you would drive. This way you can see the traffic coming and judge for yourself if the car is going to go round or through you!

I hope your OH recovers quickly, best wishes to him.

Oh my gosh! I hope he is okay and gets a full recovery soon so he can carry on running. It makes me wonder how some people's brains work!

I do have to admit though I have seen this at the complete wrong time as I am going for my first run later with the wife so fingers crossed now lol!!!

Omg Terri so so sorry to hear that, I hope your hubby is not too hurt and is recovering ok. That person sounds like a head case, there are a lot of crazy drivers on the roads!

Hope he feels better soon x

How awful, I hope he feels better soon Hun :) xx

Hope he rests up for the moment and is ok. The driver should of never presumed and waited or honked again.no need to run him over .hugs for you both

Fun Louise wrote:

That sounds really bad, why would someone do that?!?

If there was no one else on the road why would the driver expect your OH to get off the road? Why did he/she not just drive round?

The only advice I can offer is that it is expected that pedestrians walk (or run) into the traffic, so on the oposit side of the road to where you would drive. This way you can see the traffic coming and judge for yourself if the car is going to go round or through you!

I hope your OH recovers quickly, best wishes to him.

Sorry, but this isn't true and is very very dangerous if anyone is doing this. Cyclists and pedestrians are expected to run with the flow of traffic so that cars can clearly see them from behind and can overtake safer. Otherwise there will be blind corners that the cyclists or runner will turn into and potentially come face to face with a car. You should never travel into on coming traffic.

I assume your OH is going to report the driver to the police for dangerous driving? Seriously, I'm not usually a judgemental person, but that is the kind of driver that needs to get off the road. Rule 1 of driving is don't expect other people to do anything. You should be the one taking safety into account. Not only could you end up killing someone but you could also face imprisonment. Plus the highway code says you should give non vehicular travellers as much berth as you would a car. I would say running into the back of him isnt enough space.

I'm glad your OH is okay though. You must have been frantic when you first found out. WIsh him all the best from us and I hope he recovers quickly. :)

Oh Terri how awful, I hope that you OH is ok and recovers quickly.

I live in a very small country village and regularly walk my dog on the roads and you are very vulnerable. Most people from our village drive slowly and are very careful, I can imagine the scandal if we hit someone who lives here. I wish drivers would slow down, and show respect to other road users.

That's awful Terri and thank god he wasn't' seriously injured!

Here's to his speedy recovery x

I am sorry to hear that Terri and I hope your fella makes a full and speedy recovery.

As regards driving in general , I have been discussing this for years on various forums although not this one.

Whilst there are many of us who are safe,considerate drivers, there is an ever increasing number of bad drivers with very bad habits. Going through red lights , poor lane dicipline,failure to indicate to other road users and roundabouts are a joke. . Unfortunately I can't see this getting any better as it appears to be the traffic police that are at the brunt of the cutbacks.and an ever increasing number of vehicles on the road. Speed Cameras are totally worthless when it comes to road safety and are just cash cows and won't pick up bad driving habits.

There are also many bad cyclists with littel or no road sense. One passed me this morning going the wrong way down a one way street. So the problem IMO is accross the board .

Thats awful! I hope hes okay x