How important is it for your toys to look good?

I've been looking into the revel body sol (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=32379) and the womaniser (http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=32547) but in spite of the amazing reviews and how unique they sound, I can't bring myself to plan a purchase because of how they look! The sol just looks unbelievably tacky, like an ear thermometer that comes free with a pre-teen magazine or something and as for the revel, I just can't get excited about something that looks like it should be sold in Halfords!

Am I alone in my shallow judgement of toys? I wouldn't mind so much for £30 and under toys, but when I'm paying a premium price, I want BEAUTY! I want the Eva Longoria of the toy world wrapped in the Chanel of toy packaging (or to put it in toy terms, the Tracey Cox rabbit in Lelo packaging). Will anyone else refuse to buy a toy with amazing reviews because it looks hideous? Do tell.

They both do look dreadful. As the one who buys all the toys in our relationship I have to agree that looks are important, especially if I was buying something for my girlfriend. I wouldn't want her first reaction to be "what the hell are you going to do with that?!" As would probably be the case with either of those!
I have just bought a £80 buttplug primarily for it's appearance and a beautiful glass dildo was added to my 'next order' wishlist last night

Nope, you're not alone. It can be as simple as the colour of the toy, like the Vixen Mustang. I love the look of it and I know it's going to be good. But neither of the flesh colours look quite right to me and I HATE orange so the multicolour one is out too (though if I thought I could pick one with just the other colours and no orange I'd love it lol). So even though it's a dildo I know I'd like and I KNOW it'll be inside me and I won't see it...I can't buy it! Fussy perhaps, but these are luxuries after so why not be fussy :p

I quite like the look of the sol personally, but I am with you on the womanizer. That thing, even in the less offensive black, is just...well, offensive lol. I just don't want to blow that much money on a cheap and tacky looking sex toy no matter how curious I am about the sensations!

So yeah. Visual appeal is a big thing to me, to the point where it can be and often is a deal breaker!

I am with you on that too. It does come across shallow but the appearance of a toy to me is just as important as the quality of the toy.

I agree with you, both of those toys look horrible. They're on my wish list too, but after sending back a We-Vibe and a Rosa Rouge in the space of a month I've sort of given up on luxury toys altogether!

I don't think it's too fussy to expect more from a toy that costs that much, even if it's not the most important aspect of the toy. After all, these luxury toy companies supposedly spend more time and money conducting research to make the perfect toy - you'd think for the price it costs it wouldn't be too difficult to make it look nice for a start!

I'm with you all the way, however I don't think the appearance of either of those toys is an absolute deal breaker for me. Very off putting, but still something I'd like to try at some point (although after my recent sex toy experiences, I don't think I'm likely to take the leap).

Lovebirds_x wrote:

I quite like the look of the sol personally, but I am with you on the womanizer. That thing, even in the less offensive black, is just...well, offensive lol. I just don't want to blow that much money on a cheap and tacky looking sex toy no matter how curious I am about the sensations!

So yeah. Visual appeal is a big thing to me, to the point where it can be and often is a deal breaker!

+1

I am dying to try the womanizer, but I refuse to spend that much on such a cheap looking thing! Also, I hardly ever consider toys that are not waterproof, as I appreciate the ease of mind of cleaning them thoroughly under water. Due to the reviews, I’ve been trying to convince myself to buy the womanizer, but I think I’ll just wait for the next edition hoping they will improve both aspects… I truly cannot understand why a company would choose that tasteless design for a “high end” toy…

I have both on my wish list they both look "cheap" but if the reviews are good I will eventually buy them, well maybe before they get discontinued.

Do you really care what it looks like when it's giving you unbelievable pleasure it's not like you can see the item while it's in use![](upload://5BDs2y1gm13l2R58ovmAMxyNM3f.gif)

I dont really care what a toy looks like to be honest, I'm more interested in how it feels. If it gets me where I need to be then it can look as ugly as it likes. . . .with the exception of glass.... I love glass both to look at and use :)

I wouldn't buy a toy I don't like the look of. Even if it's amazing, it would kill me to look at something ugly in my drawer.

And I share the exact same hate of orange and dislike of the mustang as you Livebirds :D.

Boogaloo wrote:

I agree with you, both of those toys look horrible. They're on my wish list too, but after sending back a We-Vibe and a Rosa Rouge in the space of a month I've sort of given up on luxury toys altogether!

I don't think it's too fussy to expect more from a toy that costs that much, even if it's not the most important aspect of the toy. After all, these luxury toy companies supposedly spend more time and money conducting research to make the perfect toy - you'd think for the price it costs it wouldn't be too difficult to make it look nice for a start!

My faith in luxury toys has also been shaken recently. I sent back my Tenga minamo, my Lelo Gigi 2 is getting the punt and my je joue mimi may be going as well. I feel SO GUILTY for sending back luxury toys (especially ones that have been so popular with everyone else!) but I can't justify keeping blah toys that cost £80+.

Exactly! I don't mind if a toy is quite plain or only comes in black instead of a beautiful turquoise colour, but COME ON! No need for a toy to be outright hideous. Either lower your prices (significantly) or raise your game!

The appearance is the first thing that draws me to toys .I have never brought somthing that looks awful maybe I should stop being so shallow! I'm sure that there are lots of toys that look ugly yet are amazing X

I've not tried the Sol, but I have played with one in the hand, and it's fine, nothing special but it's not tacky in any way. As for the Womanizer, well you probably know how I feel about that! I hated the look of it initially, but after discovering what it does to me, I couldn't care less! Yes it is expensive though, but at least you have the safety net of the returns policy. Lovehoney have kindly provided me with a Womanizer to give away, if anybody wants the link, it's in the bloggers thread

The reviews for the Womanizer tempt me so much but the look of it is just horrendous. It's the bright pink, leopard print and that gordy gem on the front. Blurgh. Why can't it just be plain?

Foxxy wrote:

I've not tried the Sol, but I have played with one in the hand, and it's fine, nothing special but it's not tacky in any way. As for the Womanizer, well you probably know how I feel about that! I hated the look of it initially, but after discovering what it does to me, I couldn't care less! Yes it is expensive though, but at least you have the safety net of the returns policy. Lovehoney have kindly provided me with a Womanizer to give away, if anybody wants the link, it's in the bloggers thread

I'm SO entering!! What amazing prizes! Just wanted to check, in the bit where you put your name and email does it have to be your real name or would you contact he winner for their full details after the draw? Because of my job I avoid giving my real name on sex toy related websites whenever possible, so just wanted to see if it's ok to use my Lovehoney screenname.

So, so, so, soooo important. I adore dildos, but I cant stand the gaudy looking pink or purple ones. There are honestly some toys I own that I don't use very much, but just love owning them because of how sexy they look. The Bam dildo is a great example. Really, it's too big to use regularly, but it just LOOKS so hot I could attach it to the wall and just LOOK at it for hours! But then, I do appear to be developing a strange dildo fetish, so maybe I'm alone in that. ;)

It's like the realtistic dildos on the sex toy testers list right now. They look stunning (to me) and practically had me drooling when I saw them. There's others that I see and they make me cringe.

So yeah. Incredibly important that they look good. As said by a lot of people in this thread, the first thing that draws me to a toy is looks.

Call yourself whatever you want :-) I'd only ask for your real name if you win, for posting, cause try collecting from the post office if you've no ID to prove your Wonderwoman! Haha!

Foxxy wrote:

Call yourself whatever you want :-) I'd only ask for your real name if you win, for posting, cause try collecting from the post office if you've no ID to prove your Wonderwoman! Haha!

Great! Haha don't think I'd have much luck proving that I'm a pair of magical shoes!

Yup, totally with you. Coloour and syle/design are important for me too.

In the same way a tope quality suit form a top quality designer may be the best made suit ever with fine material, but if it dosnt look good then you wont wear it (or in this case with a toy, use it)

Love the blog btw!

Thank you RRS :-)