Implant and Side Affects . . .

Just as an aside, you can have the implant and be on the pill at the same time, they did this with me initially, on the implant for contraception and the pill to regulate periods.

Also, I react to the progesterone only pill but not to the implant, so I'm not sure the type of hormone is always relevant. Side affects can be a result of a reaction with one of the other ingredients, or delivery method.

I do wonder if there was a bad batch of implants going around a couple of years ago, as I know a few people, including myself, who suddenly had issues after long term use, and these are now resolved after having the implant changed.

With the non hormone coil (copper) these do increase your risk slightly of ectopic prgnancy and you need to take into acount allergies to metals. Given the mess that was made of my ears when I tried to have a piercing I would hate to think what would happen if I had something like that in my insides!

I have had the implant, was warned off the injection as it can affect fertility if you ever want children.

Had the implant for about 6 years now. No major issues, plus side I don't get periods downside I did have weight gain and also for a time it affected my sex drive however the implant affects everyone differently. The good thing though is if you are really unhappy it can be taken out. Oh and it glows under uv lights, with that and my contacts it's rum interesting lol

I had the implant fitted on Friday, so for anyone thinking of having the implant and worry about how it is fitted it was fine, it just feels like an injection when they give you the local but i couldnt feel anything after that and it only took a few minutes to insert. I have a big bandage on at the mo to stop bruising but i havent had any pain or anything since.

I can know forget about contraception for 3 yrs and it also stops ovulation and the ovulation pain that i normally get so a brilliant form of contraceptive for me ;-)

My OH is on her second implant and she has always had side effects while on it, the most notable is very irregular periods, ranging from 3 weeks on 1 off and then 3 weeks on again to two periods in a month and then nothing for 6-8 weeks. It has her ever paranoid if she is pregnant or not meaning we buy tests regular but she still prefers it over the constant thinking "have I taken my pill today" so it's what we've stuck with, I've offered to go back to condoms but she says the sex is too good without.

Good luck in what you decide, some good advice in this thread :)

Oh, and on first getting the implant you might end up with a large tender bruise on your arm and find its hard to raise it above your head for a few days <----- advice just voiced by the OH :)

I prefer boob implants on a woman...

Jimi I think you may be thinking of the wrong type of implants! xx

I know I am just being a silly boy as usual ! XX

A couple people i know had very bad mood swings with the implant, and actually had to take them out because they became 'monsters' lol.

I have the implant and hasn't given much side affects, i have acne proned skin anyway and haven't noticed much change since i got the implant, i have slight mood swings but not that bad. The only side affect i have is periods, I rarely get them, i will every couple months. and it lasts longer than normal. about 2 weeks.
My mum on the other hand who also has the implant, her periods never stop. they might stop ofr about a week or two if she's lucky. Her mood swings are slightly worse than mine but still nothing terrible to be honest.
Mine is due to be taken out next month, and i'm getting it replaced with another, My mum has decided to keep hers out though.

Basically, it affects people in different ways. There's no way of knowing how it will affect you personally. Just think, if it doesn't work for you then you can just get it taken out whenever you want.

Ive been on the implant for the past 2 years, yes my periods have stopped but thats hardly a bad thing? Ive had no bad side effects whatsoever! it all just depends on your personal hormone balance.

It really is great, I dont constantly have to remember to take pills or check things are still in place or wap condoms out,honestly this little thing is great!