implant

PokingFun wrote:

I had mine removed after months of non stop bleeding, taking the pill plus pills to reduce the bleeding PLUS iron tablets... :/

They gave me the mini pill to take while I waited for my merina coil to be fitted. Best decision I ever made!! :D

Just talk with the nurse about your options :)

Don't self-prescribe iron tablets. The dose you can buy over the counter is about 11% of the dose you need to treat anaemia, so it won't help anaemia. And the dose you need to treat anaemia is too high to be taking if you don't actually have anaemia. Get your ferritin tested by the doctor and that will show you what you need. Get them to give you the actual number, too, as the NHS reference range for anaemia is a bit of a joke. They won't treat you unless your ferritin is under 12, but in most countries it's 25, in some countries it's 50 or even 75. I had to print out research showing that if you have Restless Leg Syndrome, you need your ferritin to be over 75, before they'd treat me. (And now the RLS is gone, hooray.)

As for Mirena, is that the best choice for people who reacted badly to Implanon? It's a slightly different version of the same hormone, after all. I didn't get on with one progestogen-only method, so unsurprisingly I don't get on with any of them. I have a copper IUD instead, they rock.

Sorry, I was in a rush and quoted the wrong post there! Wasn't someone else randomly advising folks to take iron tablets?

7 can't have been fun. I know someone who was at 3, and probably had been for years. Did they get it sorted out OK? I had a GP telling it was perfectly normal for my lips to turn blue ("It's because you're underweight," though when she finally weighed me and realised I was a smidgen overweight, she did stop saying that. Didn't treat me or anything, but stopped telling me I was underweight), and ignoring all the other symptoms of anaemia I had.

I agree with everyone whos said about different people tolerating different types. I think you need to try them for yourself to work out whats best for you.

I cant take the combined pill or implant. Not sure about coils.

I was prescribed the mini pill and i absolutely hated it. I wasnt sexually active at the time so wasnt worried about pregnancy. My periods were always very heavy and lasted over a week, and were usually 5-6 weeks apart. I had anaemia and took iron tablets.

when i started the mini pill it was awful. I was bleeding pretty much every day. Occasionally i would have days of spotting or light bleeding but usually it was proper period bleeding. After a few months i took myself off it.

When i became sexually active i went back on it again and had the same experience. This time i saw i through and after 6 months of unpredictable spotting i am period free! I havent had a period in years now and its the best thing i have ever taken.

I recommended it to my sister but she didnt get on with it at all and prefers the combined pill. But i think its best to try things and see how they are for you because they all have side effects and bad points.

Hey all just through id update you all, removal was great the doctor was so good :)

Only side effects of its removal is im always horny now ;) bad for me as I dont have a partner or money to bust on toys :(