Insomnia

Ok i just needed to post here because i'm at a point of breakdown right now... This is night 5 of not sleeping at all (give or take half hour a day) and i'm emotionally and physically exhausted.

The doctor has tried me on so many different kinds of sleeping pills and nothing works...(literally everything)....ive tried a bath, candles, no 'trigger' food or drink after 6pm and still cant sleep.

I'm a walking zombie i have to be up in four hours and its getting to a point where my head is totally spacing out...

Is there anyone else out there like this and what do you use to help you sleep?

I'm now at a point where im crying my eyes out because i'm so stressed/tired/angry.

Anyway i'm gonna turn this off and try and get some sleep...again... But any ideas/help/advice would be great. I'm at the point of curling up in bed all day crying and not getting up for anythinng. I'm sorry fot posting here but i literally have no where else to go. I'm sure everyone in my 'real life' are avoiding me. urgh. Sorry once again

Aromatherapy lavender helps me, also white noise ap on my phone I like ocean. Get off your screens / pc / phone the light interferes with ability to get to sleep.

I also sometimes read to the point of exhaustion but do a book, not electronic.

Hope this helps.

Tell me about it! I have been on and off sleeping meds for a while now. Depression has horrible affects on ones sleeping pattern. Some times I sleep for days other times I don't sleep at all. I was given some sleeping meds by the doctor and by god are they strong! I really suggest speaking to your doctor about and tell them the affect the lack of sleep is having on you.

I know some people don't like the idea of meds to help you sleep but sometimes it's the best option for you :) it can be the hard kick in the ass your brain needs.

However if you are not keen on that idea there is many herbal products you can buy on the highstreet that I have heard are worth a try.

Xx

Oops! I qouted myself instead of editing. Lol Xx

I'm only struggling at the moment because I have a rotten cold - usually I sleep like a baby. My youngest daughter used to suffer terribly with insomnia but she finds this helps.

No caffeine after 4.30pm. Away from computers, phones etc by 8pm. TV off no later than 9pm. Then take a nice long relaxing bath ( she adds lavendar oil). A cup of chamomile tea around 10.30pm and she says she sleeps so much better if she follows this routine. Hope this is of some use - no fun at all watching the clock all night. You must be absolutely exhausted, you poor love - sending big hugs ex

Fresh hops are the best thing to use. You can purchase them from health stores or online. Put them in a mesh bag (along with some lavender if you wish) and leave it by your bed.

There's a condition with hop farmers where they feel incredibly drowsy when they're harvesting their crop. Many years ago, some of the pickers used to be found sleeping in the fields as the effect can be so strong.

I also know many people that have used hops to help them sleep, and I have also seen a tv programme on it where they 5 insomniacs to use them instead of sleeping pills etc and they all reported that the effects were much better and there weren't any side effects.

I second the recommendation of chamomile tea, I think Twinnings actually sell one called sleepy tea and it has honey in too!

I sometimes don't sleep very well if I haven't been very active in the day so maybe take yourself out for an evening stroll, the fresh air will do you good too.

Have you tried a pillow spray too, I think Boots sell one by a brand called This Works? It's a nice lavender relaxing scent.

If all else fails a good sex session always knocks me out zzzzzzzz

good luck sweetie, hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for all the tips! I LOVE herbal tea i drink so much of it but sadly none helps :(

I also have pillow spray its great! :) Just unfortunatly does nothing for sleep!

However i have never heard of that app nor the hop so i will try all of that.

In terms of meds i have tried 5 different ones. One worked but only at such a high dose i was fully hallucinating so they doctor made me stop that.

I agree that depression is the worst though. I can't sleep because i'm so depressed and then the fact i can't sleep just makes me even more depressed....Urgh.

But thanks for all the ideas! For the ones that ive not yet tried i will give them a go :)

xx

Have you tried Calms? It is a herbal sleeping remedy ( smells like cat pee but works!)
The NHS have a wellbeing website with a lot of helpful info and a program for different conditions like stress / depression/ anxiety and sleep problems. You can sign up independently, or get referred by gp.and you can do at home with a booklet or go to a support group...depending on what you prefer.
But simple things like meditation/ ( combined with scented candles/ soft music) having a warm( but not too warm bedroom) maybe a hot chocolate to go to bed with... Limit PC / phone apps late at night, watch something not too stimulating on TV.

You could try a swim in the day, and or a walk in the evening to raise your adrenalin levels, which also raise your " feel good" levels, which will help you switch off.
I have issues with sleep still..even though I am in a far better place than I was 4 years ago..but I have them far less often.. Especially as I have a new man😊

Are you getting enough exercise on a daily basis?

Also there are certain types of yoga and yoga positions which help relax certain parts of the body to help trigger sleep

What about a nice relaxing massage to soothe you. Or a long walk along a beach, isn't sea air supposed to help, or am I totally making that up!!

I find having my partner comfort me when I sleep helps, like just having him in bed knowing that he cares. And cuddling me until I finally fall asleep

There was a thread on here ages ago (can't remember what it was called now) and Paige who works for LH in Australia mentioned adult colouring books. I was curious so tracked them down and they are lovely and relaxing. Very intricate designs which take concentration and I really enjoy doing them. There's a lovely one called 'Dreamcatcher - a soul birds journey' which has some really nice quotes in it too.
Also recommend lavender and chamomile essential oils and chamomile tea to help you relax.
If all else fails, I'll post you the toddler... He'll knacker you for sure!

I sleep with one eye open gripping my pillow tight!

Yeah i tried calms! It worked for about a week and then my body started fighting against it.

I exersise non stop i have to be up at 7am normally and i have my horse, and i work with horses in general and i dance, plus im babysitting my newphew when i have a day off or an afternoon off.

The partner bit!! ohhhh i tjink i need to hire someone out to be my cuddle buddy!

GRC hahaha i can imagine royal mail turning up with a baby and i'm just like... Ohhh GRC must have gifted me!

I'm gonna go look at the adult colouring books though :)

Thank you for all this everyone. I had the afternoon off tonight, I come home. drowned my room in lavender, took two sleeping pills and Kalms. Drunk two mugs of horlicks and i managed to get to sleep :) I'm awake now so abit ealier than i wanted to be but i got sleep so i generally dont care :)

Lovehoney - Dani wrote:

If reading relaxes you but you do prefer to do it on the phone or PC, look at a program called f.lux (you can download it in app stores or from a quick google search) THANK YOU downloaded an ap for this. Had no idea something like thus out there.