Why can't i sleep!!

So ive said before that my sleeping pattern is fucked.

But seriusly this is getting ridiculous!

I woke up at about 12:00 yesterday (note this will be in 24 hour clock) and was out socialing which is a big deal for me till 16:00, so come 00:00 this morning i was feeling really tired, and a bit emotionally upset due to certain conversations i had been having that night, so i thought id get some sleep.

But nooo! God forbid i want to get some sleep! I offically hit the pillow at 01:40 and its now *checks clock* 04:45 and ive not had any sleep at all!!!

I gave up and came on here to rant about my lack of sleeping, not really expecting a reponse now but i am hopeing tht stimulating my brain to do some work will help me get tired, doesnt seem to be working though, damn you lazy student brain!!!

Even my friends in America are all asleep! this is getting anoying! i need to get out of bed at 08:00!

Hello,

I know how this feels. I would personally advise a glass of warm milk, sometimes helped me. also chamomile tea can help or Lemon balm is supposed to help with sleeping issues. otherwise its more like exercise, being outside in the nature if possible. Cannot think of much else. Apart from sleeping meds, which I am trying to avoid - also having bit of sleeping issues time.

Waking up at noon will set you up for a late night. Noon minus 8 hours is 4 am, minus 7 hours is 5 am. So being awake at 4:45 is well within normal.

You mentioned being really tired at midnight, but didn't 'hit the pillow' until 1:40. If your body was ready to go to sleep at midnight and you didn't let it for an hour and 40 minutes, it would have become used to staying awake. Have you spent much time around babies and toddlers? Getting them down before they become too tired is important, otherwise they become overtired and have a difficult time falling asleep. Same thing still happens when we're grown-up, it's just that we do it to ourselves.

Artificial light from computer and television screens tells our bodies that it's day time and our bodies react accordingly. When I'm having problems sleeping, I shut everything down and meditate in the dark until my body is ready. That gives my body some time to get melatonin levels up, quiet everything else down and let go of any stresses.

From what you've written, it sounds like you're working against your body and getting upset when it doesn't do what you want when you want. Does that sound right to you? If it does, paying attention to what your body is telling you and acting in accord with that information might help a lot.

i am a terrible sleeper,even though i feel tired when i go to bed i cant sleep,i have been taking valerian capsules and lemon balm capsule,both from holland and barratt but im sure loads of other places sell them,they have helped me alot,i am sleeping alot better than before x

I am the same hun, i wake up at 8am every morning... but tend to go back to sleep until up to 2pm. I stay up late and when i do sleep, if i sleep, i have nightmares and therefore wake up tireder than when i went to sleep.

I think you just need tucked in and a night night kiss from your fav dyke

luckylesbo wrote:

I think you just need tucked in and a night night kiss from your fav dyke

that must be it :P

thanks guys thats a lot of good advice!!

I do live on a highstreet but i do own blackout blind already!

However our telephone and router and stuff is in my room so there are constant LED's on in my room, i try and hide them behind stuff but they get pretty bright in the darkness,

Im usually ok with them tbh as they have been there for years, but i was awake all of last night! i went bk to bed after writing this at about 5:00, i didnt fall asleep till 7, which ment i got 1 hours sleep.. SIGH!

i know what your all saying about no caffine and stuff, but it was more that i was emotionally not in a nice place last night and my mind just couldnt stop thinking :(

It's certainly a good idea to try some of the suggestions on here. My favourite is exercise. I am a terrible sleeper and as a result find myself at the pharamacy maybe once a month buying sleeping pills! I get really frustrated by this as I don't want to become dependent on them though I think I may already be on my way. Anyway, back to the point. At least an hour of exercise will help to tire you physically and I also find it helps me switch off mentally if I listen to music whilst I do it. It might be best to try and put yourself in a routine. Being in a routine will really aid your sleep, even if it does make you feel abit like a child again :p

Hope you get some sleep soon. SBB x