Trouble Sleeping

Good morning everybody,

As you can see by the time stamp its 2:20am (well it was when i started writing).

Ive been staying awake until atleast 3am every night for the past week. I dont so much fall asleep as i do pass out from exhaustion.

Know i have a few theorys on why i cant sleep; depression, lonlyness, an irrational fear of pillows. you know all the usual... Ok so the last one was made up.

I mainly sit up all night on my laptop and watch tv, theres usally a movie or 2 on which i can watch. However im getting pretty fed up with it, I want to be able to get up at a reasonable time and go to bed at a reasonable time. right now im getting up at like 12am and going to bed at 4am :|

What can you suggest? Ive tried exercising, reading, warm water cause i dont like tea. Been trying to cut down on suger but its like 50% of my diet so kinda hard.

Anybody got any other ideas? Much appreatied!

Just reset your body-clock. Set your alarm at 7.am and be ready and out of bed by 8. There you go - will be tough in the beginning but you will get used to it.

Depends on your job. I usually get in at 1.30am, have a bit to eat, relax, check the computer etc and before you know its 4am - I don't really see it as a problem, still up at 8 or 9. But it depends on how much sleep you need I suppose

As janny has said. I work shifts and have just finished for the week,I will goto bed at 8am get up at 12 dinner time and goto bed when the wife goes up tonight. Tomorrow I will get up at 6.55 am and then I will be back to normal. Will usually keep that pattern till I go back to work next week.
Also going to bed straight after watching tv or using pc is never any good, you need to wait 30 minutes to an hour to wind down.

I feel your pain Steve - on my first work shift of the week I have to get up to go work at 4am. Then by the weekend I am doing night shifts and going to bed at 8am after starting work at 8pm the day before.

Remember to unwind, maybe a read a book or magazine before going sleep, avoid sweets, coffee, chocolate, computers and TVs. You have to wind down in the last hour before you go sleep. Exercising helps exhaust you as well if you're not tired enough to go sleep - and yes, starjumps in your bedroom do count!

Just tell yourself "I AM going to bed at 10pm tonight" and then set your alarm for 7am or whatever time you want to get up. Then you MUST get up and go bed at the right time - no TV, no laptop - you'll eventually get used to it and fall sleep, it just takes time. Good luck x

you tried getting one of those white or pin noise apps you can get on your phone or lappy to play in the background at nights ? supposed to soothe you off to sleep .

its not a perma solution but boots do an own brand herbal sleeping aid for about 3 quid .. two of them help me no end .. take em for two days till your body gets used to the routine and then you should be able to sleep naturally at about that time ?

rubysoho wrote:

you tried getting one of those white or pin noise apps you can get on your phone or lappy to play in the background at nights ? supposed to soothe you off to sleep .

its not a perma solution but boots do an own brand herbal sleeping aid for about 3 quid .. two of them help me no end .. take em for two days till your body gets used to the routine and then you should be able to sleep naturally at about that time ?

WS, take any advice Ruby gives you in this thread, with a pinch of salt. She's up at 2 am writing threads and posts..... she's obviously so tired and wasted that they come out like gobbledeegook !!

Sorry, Ruby (.....you know I love you)

I'm basically going to say the same as other people here.

You pretty much need to reset your body clock. I do feel your pain though as this happens to me quite a lot where I go through periods of time where for no apparent reason I just won't be able to sleep until at least 3 am which in turn makes me wake up later the next day. Everytime this happens I usually just have to reset my body clock by getting up really early, say 7am, keep my self really busy during the day to try and make myself tired so that I'll want to sleep earlier.

Other factors that may help with this could be to cut some carbohydrates out in your dinner / tea and stop eating anything after 7pm-ish. Only drink water as well due to sugar found in a lot of drinks. I've also heard in the past that anything electronical with a screen such as t.v, laptop, phone, etc, should be avoided for at least half an hour prior to going to bed because apparently the monitor's flash so fast that our eyes can't actually see it, and it makes the brain work harder therefore keeping it more active.

Maybe try having a relaxing bath or shower before going to bed as well. I find that lavender is really good for relaxing me...I actually have a dinosaur toy that smells of lavender (yes, it is awesome!), which I put next to my pillow sometimes.

Lifebuoy wrote:

rubysoho wrote:

WS, take any advice Ruby gives you in this thread, with a pinch of salt. She's up at 2 am writing threads and posts..... she's obviously so tired and wasted that they come out like gobbledeegook !!

Sorry, Ruby (.....you know I love you)

lol ... im in a baaaaad headspace lately ... not sleeping at night an drinking too much .. uuuusually sleep & i are best buds :)))

SophieM wrote:

I actually have a dinosaur toy that smells of lavender (yes, it is awesome!), which I put next to my pillow sometimes.

that sounds amazing! im going to hunt you down and steal it muhahahaha!

or Steve you could get some Lavender Oil and make Ralph smell pretty :)

Get up.

Its that simple.

Youre sleeping for 8 hours, you just need to get them in the right place, and its a lot easier to get up tired than go to sleep awake.

WeeSteve wrote:

SophieM wrote:

I actually have a dinosaur toy that smells of lavender (yes, it is awesome!), which I put next to my pillow sometimes.

Hahahahaha, you wish! I put up a good fight you know. :P

And it is amazing, he can even go in the microwave!

SophieM wrote:

WeeSteve wrote:

SophieM wrote:

Hahahahaha, you wish! I put up a good fight you know. :P

And it is amazing, he can even go in the microwave!

WOT ! Roast dinosaur ! That would be a sell-out as a Tesco's ready meal

I hope you get some zzz some time soon weesteve got nothing to add then what everyone else has said babe xx

Nah ork ive tried that, i just tose and turn for hours and get frustrated.

Ork wrote:

When all else fails to google! It came up with this: http://www.wikihow.com/Fall-Asleep

Or if you are really desperate, you could try some over the counter sleeping pills or something, as a tempoary solution if this is just a short term problem, obviously with your anxiety and everything it might not be as simple as "going to the shop and getting it" if its a really big problem, you might want to consider going to the doctors... not that they will really help, but you never know :)

Its not really a problem. i have no reason to get up early, or do anything during the day. But its just anoying.

Only use your bedroom for sleep! I find that if i sit in bed all day i cant sleep that night and have to use alcohol (oops), whereas if i only sit in bed when im going to bed, its much easier. You could also go running/jogging in the evening? That helps a lot. And youre probably off uni by now so setting an alarm each morning for 9/10 o clock would help tonprevent your body clock gradually shifting to 2pm-4am (as mine tends to)

fistinglover69 wrote:

Only use your bedroom for sleep! I find that if i sit in bed all day i cant sleep that night and have to use alcohol (oops), whereas if i only sit in bed when im going to bed, its much easier. You could also go running/jogging in the evening? That helps a lot. And youre probably off uni by now so setting an alarm each morning for 9/10 o clock would help tonprevent your body clock gradually shifting to 2pm-4am (as mine tends to)

I finished uni last december hun :). Ive been looking for work for 6 months almost :| proper nightmare.

As you can see, still wake at 2am!

I've been up an hour already....

I woke up at 6 also. But two days off so possibly a little snooze mid afternoon