Just had my first hollywood wax yesterday....ouch

masterandslave wrote:

I would like to have a wax but i have a very low pain threshold and would be too scared (even though I know they see them all the time!) my hair grows ridiculously fast - I'll normally have stubble within about 6 hours! So I tend to trim rather than constantly shave!

x

I get that too. I have a shower in the morning and shave if I know I'll be seeing my boyfriend that night, and by the time I see him there's already often stubble. I remember when we first started going out, I could spend half an hour or more sat in front of the mirror trying to get it perfect. Now I've been with my boyfriend a bit longer and am more comfortable (and knowing he doesnt judge me and loves me whatever), I'm less fussy. I get off what I can in the shower, sit in front of the mirror after getting out so I can see the bits between the lips, but I dont go to great lengths any more. The main reason I started doing it was making it nicer for my boyfriend to give me oral, but he doesnt do that so often any more - now we've got contraception and STD tests and whatnot, there's alot more options for us!

i use these

http://www.jmldirect.com/src/AW/Satin-Pure-PS5684/

some people find they work and some people dont but for me they are fab,after shaving my lady garden everyday for over a year i developed exzema down there and pretty bad to,my doctor had to prescribe steroid cream,so me and my partner were looking for alternatives,i came accros these and they are brill,only have to use once a week,just make sure you apply a little moistuiser afterwards or it might be a little bit sore,but the result i get is smother then waxing,and my exzema is now non existant!!!

bride2b wrote:

i use these

http://www.jmldirect.com/src/AW/Satin-Pure-PS5684/

some people find they work and some people dont but for me they are fab,after shaving my lady garden everyday for over a year i developed exzema down there and pretty bad to,my doctor had to prescribe steroid cream,so me and my partner were looking for alternatives,i came accros these and they are brill,only have to use once a week,just make sure you apply a little moistuiser afterwards or it might be a little bit sore,but the result i get is smother then waxing,and my exzema is now non existant!!!

I've seen them about but never really looked into them, but they look good.

How long does a £4.99 packet last?

one pack usually lasts me 1-2 months,depending on the growth. you can reuse them 2-3-4 times,but i find twice is enough,,in the pack you get the bigger one for legs ,underarms and lady garden plus a smaller (slip on finger) one for bikini line,they do take a bit of getting used to and seeing dead skin falling off isnt very attractive but the results are really good

first of i really dont understand why you younger guys have had issues with bauty people about waxing, i understand if your under 16 (as they have to have permission from your parents). but i dont hve a clue why some one would be rude or look down on you, when i worked in my last hairdresser there was a beauty room and most girls coming in was from 18 up getting all sorts of things done, its like the norm for girls to get waxed, tanned what ever. i think if youve had problems go to a differant salon! as it shouldnt happen.

and i just shave everything off as i cant do waxing im not good with pain! lol

Dxx

diamonds wrote:

first of i really dont understand why you younger guys have had issues with bauty people about waxing, i understand if your under 16 (as they have to have permission from your parents). but i dont hve a clue why some one would be rude or look down on you, when i worked in my last hairdresser there was a beauty room and most girls coming in was from 18 up getting all sorts of things done, its like the norm for girls to get waxed, tanned what ever. i think if youve had problems go to a differant salon! as it shouldnt happen.

and i just shave everything off as i cant do waxing im not good with pain! lol

Dxx

It shouldn't happen D, but unfortunately it does....plus I look really young and innocent so people often judge....it's a sad fact, but it does happen! I'd rather not set myself up for the judgement, as I said in a previous post, I've had a lot of problems with judgemental people in the past and I just don't want to have to deal with it anymore. Most places I go, just to get my nails done, tend to speak to me like I'm a child, so I'd rather not be in an uncomfortable situation and spoken to like I'm a child.

Ax

AdnaW wrote:

diamonds wrote:

first of i really dont understand why you younger guys have had issues with bauty people about waxing, [...] i dont hve a clue why some one would be rude or look down on you, [...] i think if youve had problems go to a differant salon! as it shouldnt happen.

It shouldn't happen D, but unfortunately it does....plus I look really young and innocent so people often judge....it's a sad fact, but it does happen! I'd rather not set myself up for the judgement, as I said in a previous post, I've had a lot of problems with judgemental people in the past and I just don't want to have to deal with it anymore. Most places I go, just to get my nails done, tend to speak to me like I'm a child, so I'd rather not be in an uncomfortable situation and spoken to like I'm a child.

A thought occurs to me which might be useful to you - My experience with being patronised is that this is more likely to come from younger people who haven't learnt any better than from older people, and many people in beauty industry jobs can be quite young.

I do absolutely appreciate that you have no wish to set yourself up for any more crap. Having said that I think you might have much better luck if you got a beautician/waxer/whatever who was older and knows more about how to behave. On the other hand some older people can patronise with the best of them, but my experience with patronising has been worse with younger people and better with older ones.

Just a thought. Again, really, really sorry you've had so much shit from so many people. I know from personal experience how difficult that can be. It sucks.

On a more cheerful note, there's always cookies. :)

(I know, lame, but the best I could do in the time) :p

Lubyanka wrote:

A thought occurs to me which might be useful to you - My experience with being patronised is that this is more likely to come from younger people who haven't learnt any better than from older people, and many people in beauty industry jobs can be quite young.

I do absolutely appreciate that you have no wish to set yourself up for any more crap. Having said that I think you might have much better luck if you got a beautician/waxer/whatever who was older and knows more about how to behave. On the other hand some older people can patronise with the best of them, but my experience with patronising has been worse with younger people and better with older ones.

Just a thought. Again, really, really sorry you've had so much shit from so many people. I know from personal experience how difficult that can be. It sucks.

On a more cheerful note, there's always cookies. :)

(I know, lame, but the best I could do in the time) :p

Thanks Lubyanka, it may be something to bare in mind in the future! I have experienced most of the patronising from older people, so I guess it's the luck of the draw....

Cookies aren't lame, I'll definately take cookies as a cheerful note!

Ax

LOL it's always the older people who haven't learnt any better that I have trouble with! I haven't had exactly a similar experience, but I do know what people mean about being made to feel crap coz they are younger. That still happens to me and I'm 27! Still get ID'd too dammit!

I think the problem is people judging without knowing, no matter who they are judging or how old they are. Pah silly people! Don't let it get to you anyone.

AdnaW wrote:

Cookies aren't lame, I'll definately take cookies as a cheerful note!

Hahahah, oh dear, heh, I meant my effort to be cheerful was lame, not cookies. Never cookies! :D

imeldaimelda wrote:

I think the problem is people judging without knowing, no matter who they are judging or how old they are. Pah silly people! Don't let it get to you anyone.

Well, isn't that what judging is, concluding without knowing? Yeah, it sucks no matter who's doing it, who they're doing it to, or why they're doing it. Grrr.

Let's all get together and fling smelly socks at them. That'll fix 'em!

(ok no it won't, but definitely fun) :p

SMELLY SOCKS! Fabulous idea!

I've always found my waxers to behave very professionally. I find it very frustrating if they don't get all the hair or the wax isn't even tho. My ex once complained to me when I had a brazillian - "but she hasn't even done it straight - you've got like extra that side...". No pleasing some people ;-) Has anyone ever complained about a bikini wax? I don't think I dare! x

I didn't complain, I just never went back to one place. My waxer now is totally fab though and I wouldn't really look anywhere unless she wasn't available for a while. It is hard to complain about these things though.

My OH has a Hollywood - I bought her Spa gift vouchers for her birthday.

I love it - and so does she.

I don't get hair in my teeth any more ...

And she tells me it feels so much nicer!

Dunca1348 wrote:

I would love to get a wax but i can't find anybody in my area that will wax mens genitalia.

Have you asked at your local salon? Just because they're geared towards women doesnt always mean they wont do men.

KittyPurry wrote:

I'm an all or nothing girl...I like having no hair at all and my OH likes it au naturale so I alternate between the two extremes as the mood (and botherdness to epilate) takes me!

I've never waxed but I use an epilator and that hurts a fair bit...I actually quite like the pain tho!

xxKPxx

I always thought I was alone with this! I'm so with you KP. I am either bare or completely natural, depending on whether I can be bothered, I also epilate, and I also quite enjoy the pain. But it's not something I'd ever let a partner do to me, I don't think! Gorgeous new image by the way.

SS xx

My OH loves being smooth and I love her being smooth too.

I'd quite like to be trimmed but she won't hear of it.

I don't think being smooth for me would be a good thing as I'm quite hairy generally, so if I get the male Hollywood it'd look a bit odd ... unless I wax my stomach, chest, shoulders and back. I think that's too much pain for any one man to suffer!!!!!!!

I love being smooth, but shaved rather than waxed. Pain threshold's not that good!!

First one? You get the purple heart, sister. I prefer being waxed with a landing strip because as Wizzie says it's that last little piece that hurts the most. I can't stand the pain of shaving and creams so waxing is suprisingly the least painful option for me. I invested a lot in laser too which is a dream and the only method that doesn't result in paiful regrowth and ingrown hairs.