Just had my first hollywood wax yesterday....ouch

I had my first hollywood wax yesterday and i have to say i dont think i will ever feel embarrassed about anything again after going through that experience.

Thankfully the beautician was nice and kept me busy by getting me to hold my legs etc apart so i didnt have time to cry but the first few rips did make me cry out!

has anyone else had this done before? i love the results and feel super sexy now as personally i always felt having hair down there was not natural for me but i know alot of women like it and feel having no hair is child like and wierd...guess its each to their own.

I get what my waxer calls "bikini line", which for her means my sphincter, everything outside my outer labia, and she evens off the top of a good sized triangle at the front.

I do like the results a lot but it hurts like a sonofabitch for a few seconds for each rip. My waxer is fine with me shrieking, but she draws the line at me yelling loud enough for other customers to hear:

• "Oh no, you promised me last time no more rampaging gorillas!"

That's too bad, I always wanted to yell that. :p

I'm an all or nothing girl...I like having no hair at all and my OH likes it au naturale so I alternate between the two extremes as the mood (and botherdness to epilate) takes me!

I've never waxed but I use an epilator and that hurts a fair bit...I actually quite like the pain tho!

xxKPxx

KP, I'm thinking about starting to epilate....is it safe to do all over in such a sensitive area?

Ax

i want to get a wax. i know its gonna hurt, but its so annoying shaving every couple of days and the stubble rash etc...

i just need someone to push me there. x

poppy904 wrote:

i want to get a wax. i know its gonna hurt, but its so annoying shaving every couple of days and the stubble rash etc...

Aww i know what you mean, i have been wanting one for the best of 4 years and 2 weeks ago after i had my first smear test i thought 'you know what it cant be as bad as that!'. And actually it wasnt. yes its abit painful the first 2 rips where they take the majority of the hair off but after that its not bad and i dont have a high pain threshold so i am sure you will be fine. The only thing that got me was when i thought we had finished and she told me to turn over so she could do my bum hole....i was like what? haha

NaughtyT wrote:

poppy904 wrote:

Aww i know what you mean, i have been wanting one for the best of 4 years and 2 weeks ago after i had my first smear test i thought 'you know what it cant be as bad as that!'. And actually it wasnt. yes its abit painful the first 2 rips where they take the majority of the hair off but after that its not bad and i dont have a high pain threshold so i am sure you will be fine. The only thing that got me was when i thought we had finished and she told me to turn over so she could do my bum hole....i was like what? haha

oooh. not sure on bum ole wax, but im sure tere are worse things!!

in fact, ive been through childbirth and im worrying about ripping a few hairs out?!?!?!?!? x

Hollywoods are my normal wax and depepnding on the wax used, you kinda (KINDA!) get used to the pain. My waxer operates from home so sometimes you hear her kids in the background and don't want to yell so loud but she's so fab at getting me talking and concentrating on other things. Painkillers beforehand are a must though! I think hot wax used without strips is less painful than strip waxing. The whole bum thing depends on how hairy you are, but thankfully my waxer agrees that if you take all teh front off, you can't be left with a 'tail' behind so it's gotta go too and makes me feel really normal about wanting the hair there gone too. It actually 'bothers' me more than the front.

AdnaW wrote:

KP, I'm thinking about starting to epilate....is it safe to do all over in such a sensitive area?

Ax

I wouldn't do it right on the lips (you REALLY) don't want to get them caught...I got my underarm caught once and OWWWWWWW...anywhere more senseitive would be pretty damn painful.

I epilate the main triangle area higher up and do the rest with tweezers...takes a while but you stay so silky smooth for ages!

xxKPxx

I've had a few Hollywood waxes & prefer them to anything else. I can't stand being hairy downstairs particularly at the back (which I actually find hurts less than the front). the worst bit is just above the clit because the hair grows in all different directions. They are not pleasant generaly but particularly if you haven't had one for a while! I won't shave my pubes except on the bikini line because I get irritated easily & when it's growing back it's horrible. If you are getting waxed beforehand take painkillers and exfoliate the area. I was also told it is less painful just before your period rather than after x

With me, I shave everything off. I love the feel of it but I'm not very good and it always kind feels a bit stubbly on teh parts I cant reach/see. I'd love to get waxed but I have a rather low pain threshold, so its not for me!

If you have a low pain threshold then avoid. It's not for the faint hearted. I swear a couple of times I've nearly walked out with only half done - not quite the sexy look I was going for x

KittyPurry wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

I wouldn't do it right on the lips (you REALLY) don't want to get them caught...I got my underarm caught once and OWWWWWWW...anywhere more senseitive would be pretty damn painful.

I epilate the main triangle area higher up and do the rest with tweezers...takes a while but you stay so silky smooth for ages!

xxKPxx

Thanks KP, might give it a go then, I don't mind shaving my lips as they go pretty smooth with a razor, but the triangle area is never truely smooth so I'd like to try epilating. I don't think the pain would bother me as I actually quite like certain types of pain (although I will definately avoid catching skin, sounds nasty! Epilators are scary looking aren't they!) so I might give it a go...as a step up towards waxing!

I'm too nervous to get waxed at the minute as I've had age prejudice from people before, and I definately wouldn't like a waxer looking down on me for getting waxed at 19.....silly reason, but I'd just rather wait 'til I'm a little older....definately will get it done one day though, if only to watch the technique to learn how to do it myself (save spending a fortune!).

Ax

AdnaW wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

xxKPxx

Thanks KP, might give it a go then, I don't mind shaving my lips as they go pretty smooth with a razor, but the triangle area is never truely smooth so I'd like to try epilating. I don't think the pain would bother me as I actually quite like certain types of pain (although I will definately avoid catching skin, sounds nasty! Epilators are scary looking aren't they!) so I might give it a go...as a step up towards waxing!

I'm too nervous to get waxed at the minute as I've had age prejudice from people before, and I definately wouldn't like a waxer looking down on me for getting waxed at 19.....silly reason, but I'd just rather wait 'til I'm a little older....definately will get it done one day though, if only to watch the technique to learn how to do it myself (save spending a fortune!).

Ax

Woohoo! Definately recommend it for a lovely smooth mound! I actually do enjoy the pain myself but if you wanted to take the edge off: a couple of ibruprofen about half an hour before hand would do the trick. My technique is to trim so the hair is about half a centimeter long the start at the top. I use my free hand to pull the skin taught (and stop nasty catching). Afterwards I give it a quick clean with some tea-tree wipes to stop any icky bugs getting in (strings for a second but it's not so bad really) then I ice the area to cool and sooth. If you exfoliate every other day you shouldn't get any ingrown hairs either External Media

xxKPxx

AdnaW wrote:

I'm too nervous to get waxed at the minute as I've had age prejudice from people before, and I definately wouldn't like a waxer looking down on me for getting waxed at 19.....silly reason, but I'd just rather wait 'til I'm a little older

You are aware, aren't you, that even if they weren't service providers whom you pay for a service, you are still entitled to be treated respectfully?

Ageism is the same as any other -ism. This is the part of the exclusion I was referring to in the other thread when I was talking about being Jewish. If nobody asserted themselves in the face of exclusion, then nobody would ever know it is unacceptable. I know it wouldn't help you at all if I were to say, "Oh, I'm 43 and I've never had anybody look down on me for being too young for a wax so I don't know why you have. Why not just accept it?"

So I won't say that. :)

I'm sorry you've had such experiences. I hope you can find it within yourself to let these people know in no uncertain terms each and every time that their behaviour is disrespectful, excluding, inappropriate, unprofessional, and unacceptable. Because all of us, including you, deserve better. :)

I do agree with you! It's a shame! But the last few years I've had quite a lot to deal with, and to be honest. I'd rather not fight it, I'd rather avoid it until the problem goes away (i.e. I'm deemed old enough by whoever has an opinion that shouldn't).

I know it's defeatist and it's silly....but the ageism I had first was from a doctor, when I was 15/16 ish and I wasn't as sure of myself as I am now, I was too embarrassed to complain (and I wish I had!), since then I've had various medical issues that have been a lot to deal with at a young age (because of prejudices that "at your age" I shouldn't be incapable of helping my mother carry shopping bags or walking too far and because my friends don't understand that I can't do some things because of my pain and they think I look down on them for going out drinking and that's the real reason I don't go out) I've had age prejudice because I've been with my OH since 15 and "you can't feel love at that age" and "you shouldn't waste away your youth by settling down so young" and various other things.......to be honest, I'm sick of it, and unfortunately no amount of fighting will make it change, so I would rather wait 'til I'm older, the problem will disappear then.

The problem is, I would have to re-educate most people I know and nearly everyone I encounter because most people I have ever met have the same prejudices and I just havn't got the fight in me!

As you can probably tell, even at 19, I have strong views and a lot of confidence for what I believe in, I think I've got myself (and my life, priorities etc.) more sussed than a lot of people I know who are twice my age, but they still see the 19-ness as an issue....that's their problem!

Those that matter, know and love me for me, and I'll do what I can to avoid other people's uneccessary prejudices until I'm older and the prejudices stop.

Anyway, that's a rather long off topic comment so I shall add.....yay for those who have the confidence to get waxed!

Ax

KittyPurry wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

KittyPurry wrote:

AdnaW wrote:

Ax

xxKPxx

Ax

Woohoo! Definately recommend it for a lovely smooth mound! I actually do enjoy the pain myself but if you wanted to take the edge off: a couple of ibruprofen about half an hour before hand would do the trick. My technique is to trim so the hair is about half a centimeter long the start at the top. I use my free hand to pull the skin taught (and stop nasty catching). Afterwards I give it a quick clean with some tea-tree wipes to stop any icky bugs getting in (strings for a second but it's not so bad really) then I ice the area to cool and sooth. If you exfoliate every other day you shouldn't get any ingrown hairs either External Media

xxKPxx

Thanks lovely!! I'll give it a go....mum said I could have her epilator that she's never used so I'll pick it up next time I'm home and give it a try!

Ax

AdnaW wrote:

I'll do what I can to avoid other people's uneccessary prejudices until I'm older and the prejudices stop.

That's just it, unfortunately the prejudices never stop, if it isn't one thing, it's another. I think you'll find that the age thing can be perpetrated against those of any age, and if age isn't their issue, then something else will be. That's why I feel so strongly about always speaking out when somebody tries to use their -isms on me.

I know it takes a lot of mental energy, often more than I have to be honest, but it takes even more to deal with the shit and overall I feel better when I object, so that's what I do.

Good luck. :)

Sounds sore. I had my bikini line waxed which didnt hurt but I like KP dont mind the pain when I can focus my mind.

AdnaW I know how you feel, I had mine done when I was 18 and felt I was being judged, but you shouldnt worry. If they say anything they are probably just jealous that you are confident and secure enough in yourself to enjoy sex and have it done.

My biggest issue is this feeling that you must have it done (hair free).

I know most people on LH say they get it done for themselves which is great but I dont want to do it. I dont like the regrowth or the look of it being hairless. So I just trim most of the time, but it does make me feel a bit insecure about the fact that everyone has it done and feel as if Im being compared to my boyfriends ex (which Im not but you cant help insecurity most of the time)

So I sat my boyfriend down and explained that I wasnt going to do it and I hope that he respects my wishes. (I dont like oral so he is not going down on me anyway) and he was fine with it. Its just I feel like the only one who doesnt wax or shave.

I would like to have a wax but i have a very low pain threshold and would be too scared (even though I know they see them all the time!) my hair grows ridiculously fast - I'll normally have stubble within about 6 hours! So I tend to trim rather than constantly shave!

x