Lack of motivation

So basically, I'm unemployed, I only study part time, and I'm in a long distance relationship that's currently in one if it's proverbial downs, rather than ups.

As a result I find myself getting bored most of the time, and I wouldn't say I'm depressed, but just stuck in a rut and need something to kick myself out of it.

Anyone got any suggestions??

Get off the computer and go outside!!! The sun makes for a great mood lifter. Take on a new hobby - doesn't have to cost you any money (salsa for example). Take to the kitchen and change the way you cook - do more adventurous things if you're blessed with the time. Take up running (again, another mood lifter and it's free).

I agree with the sun being a mood lifter, shame there isn't any out at the moment. More adventurous cooking sounds like something I could try though . . .

Get on the BBC good food website and just go for it. Change the way you eat for the better. Your change in diet may upift your mood and don't worry about the cost of food because if you're doing it right the items aren't an addition to your bill, but an alternative so you should still spend the same amount each week.

Study as much as possible do what ever you can to make some money...I had 2 yrs out of work and spent all my redundancy money on courses and exams..it paid off

Ms M wrote:

Get on the BBC good food website and just go for it. Change the way you eat for the better. Your change in diet may upift your mood and don't worry about the cost of food because if you're doing it right the items aren't an addition to your bill, but an alternative so you should still spend the same amount each week.

Just made shepard's pie. Nothing fancy, but not a bad start.

I have the same problem! unemployed and on work programmes etc! I got depressed last year, I think I am starting to feel it again !

I just sit at home listening to music and repeat the same tracks!

It's pretty normal to get depressed usually in the winter, especially with the lack of sunshine etc.

I think the weather is on our side at this time of year. Make a list of stuff you need from the nearest supermarket or town place etc, then walk there. Any reason to exert some physical activity will leave you feeling a bit more accomplished.

I've recently bought a steamer to go accompany me on my diet, well, not even a diet just healthier eating. It really got me fired up to steam anything and everything. I'm still going through my list of things to try.

alwayssingle- try incorporating some exercise alongside those tracks, or simple listen to more upbeat ones. I've also found some random DVDs in the pound shop including an exercise DVD lol. Have yet to try but the point is, you don't need cash to find something like that. Youtube is an excellent source too.

I have a stack of notepads always on my desk. Anything that I think of doing, including recipes, I write them up. It really is something small but makes me feel a bit more organised and I end up with a list of things that I can do when I feel bored. You can start small with reading books, go to the library etc.

nice! "you been framed" and funny youtube vid like "pac man in supermarket" are good way of having a quick giggle

But I think if I just had a chance to cuddle a lady with a duvet round her that loves cuddles too, then that make us happy for a day :)

Exercise.

If you have an hour, go and walk for an hour. See the world, soak up the sun and/or rain. Even better, if you can stretch your budget - take your hour's walk and stop for ten minutes to treat yourself to a coffee. Or take a flask with you and sit somewhere pretty to enjoy it. Then see if you can still make it back inside the hour: pushing your body that little bit harder will improve your fitness and your mood.

Improving your diet should be easy enough, with the right cookbooks or online guides. Since you have time at your disposal, preparing fresh food from scratch will both give you something to do and enable you to avoid processed foods that can affect your mood.

Other than that, do what you enjoy! Join your library, feed the ducks, find out about volunteering for a local charity a few hours a week. And study more! Read around your subject, aim to work on bigger and better things when you plan an essay.

Or you could always start writing that award-winning book or screenplay - you have time, which is something you won't miss until it's gone. Make use of it, and you'll feel better.

Best of luck

MrMr

If you can get a SAD lamp. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), better known as the winter blues, is common in northern countries and with vitamin D, most probably your mood will improve. I live normally somewhere much more sunnier than UK and sometime while being there the lack of light really made me feel awful, but the lamp helped me a lot. If you really feel too down, most sensible is to go the doctor. Depression is something chemical and can be fixed ;)

Distance relationships can happen meanwhile both of you work hard on them and if you build up emotional maturity, sadness might be there but wont destroy everything.

When feelings are truly strong, they will survive ;)

Volunteer for charity work. It'll get you out the house, you'll feel good about doing good for others and you never know, you could get a job out of it!

meowmeow wrote:

If you can get a SAD lamp. Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), better known as the winter blues, is common in northern countries and with vitamin D, most probably your mood will improve. I live normally somewhere much more sunnier than UK and sometime while being there the lack of light really made me feel awful, but the lamp helped me a lot. If you really feel too down, most sensible is to go the doctor. Depression is something chemical and can be fixed ;)

Hmm...some would argue that the winter blue is a milder version of SAD - but that's me being pedantic over the use of "better known"

Though it seems the information is conflicted. I think it makes sense to keep the terms separated - largely because of the emotions involved for sufferers - take for example: I have a condition called hypermobility syndrome - it's a connective tissue disorder leading to pretty severe pain and nerve damage but because of that word "hypermobility" it tends to get the response "oh, that's double jointedness, I'm like that and I'm fine" despite hypermobility and hypermobility *syndrome* being two very different things. The same with SAD - if people call it the winter blues the sufferers may have to deal with the response "oh, everyone feels a bit down in the winter, it's nothing" - when it's not; it's a recognised form of depression.

Does that make sense? I find it very interesting the psychology of it all and your post was very succint but I do think it's interesting to consider the implications of language :)

Adx

keep in a working routine get up early and do something even if its only a walk, dont continually put things off but do them riht away.

Keep in a work routine.

Get dressed dont slob around.

Restrict your computer Tv watching.

Volunteer work.

Get outside even if its only to look at the sky.

Learn new skills....courses, cookery, knitting, pottery at an evening class anything really to get your mind working again.

When I went through that I went out to some forum meets- munches of the kinky variety, and meet up with people off the rabbit forum I use, plus did some voluntary stuff. It just gets you out the house and it's a way of making new friends that you can develop other social activities from. Exerise definately.

What are you studying?

PS where can you do salsa for free?! I gave it up because I coupldn't afford the lessons and the costs of getting in to the socials anymore.

Alicia D'amore wrote:

meowmeow wrote:

Hmm...some would argue that the winter blue is a milder version of SAD - but that's me being pedantic over the use of "better known"

Though it seems the information is conflicted. I think it makes sense to keep the terms separated - largely because of the emotions involved for sufferers - take for example: I have a condition called hypermobility syndrome - it's a connective tissue disorder leading to pretty severe pain and nerve damage but because of that word "hypermobility" it tends to get the response "oh, that's double jointedness, I'm like that and I'm fine" despite hypermobility and hypermobility *syndrome* being two very different things. The same with SAD - if people call it the winter blues the sufferers may have to deal with the response "oh, everyone feels a bit down in the winter, it's nothing" - when it's not; it's a recognised form of depression.

Does that make sense? I find it very interesting the psychology of it all and your post was very succint but I do think it's interesting to consider the implications of language :)

Adx

Im spanish, so take the info with the reserves of the case because my english is truly crap. ;)

Also Im a psychotherapist ;) Clinically its approved to use in spanish the term "depresion de invierno" but for simple mortals probably wiki can be more precise? :P

Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), also known as winter depression, winter blues, summer depression, summer blues, or seasonal depression, is a mood disorder in which people who have normal mental health throughout most of the year experience depressive symptoms in the winter or summer,[1] spring or autumn year after year. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV), SAD is not a unique mood disorder, but is "a specifier of major depression".[2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_affective_disorder

Also.. you might find these articles helpful...

http://www.ncpamd.com/seasonal.htm

http://www.lumie.com/help/quick-guides/sad

I know how you feel. I'm unemployed, and am suffering from depression. I've been in group therapy for a few months now, and I'm feeling alive again.

The other thing that helps is a group hobby. I dusted off my DSLR camera a few weeks ago, signed up with Meetup.com and joined a load of photography groups. In the last 2 weeks I've been to 5 meets, met loads of nice people, and reignited my passion for photography.

I've started to feel good about myself for the first time in around 2 years.

Lastly, don't feel embarrassed about having a low mood or feeling depressed. The boredom that you are experiencing most of the time does lead me to think that you are suffering from some mild depression. It may be Seasonal Affective Disorder, but it could be something more severe. Go and talk to your doctor about this. They really can offer you lots of help.

Take care of yourself and best of luck buddy!

P.s. Definitely check out Meetup.com

alwayssingle:( wrote:

I have the same problem! unemployed and on work programmes etc! I got depressed last year, I think I am starting to feel it again !

I just sit at home listening to music and repeat the same tracks!

Keep your chin up something will come along try and stay positive x