Ladies advice on pubic hair removal

Hello ladies

Looking for a little advice on hair removal. Normally I keep it trimmed short but now I'm wanting to keep it completely hair free.
I've been shaving but I get a bit sore. I've tried moisturising and shaving Creams/foams but still the same result. I'm too shy to go to a salon for waxing.
Are the home waxing kits any good?? Because I want to remove everything down there. Any tips or suggestions welcome. Thank you

Sorry,i`m not a lady,but my wife goes to a local salon as home waxing can be disastrous!(Very sensitive area!) She has the lot removed,she said it was embarrasing at first,but to the waxers you`re just another job.So,in your best interest pluck up the courage,the first time is always the worst,after that you`ll not be embarrassed! One tip,take a couple of pain killers about an hour before you go,just to take the edge off.

A salon really isn't an option for me. But thanks for your in put.

Other than shaving or getting waxed I wouldnt really advise anything else. I know people that have tried hair removal cream and ended up in a right mess!

X

Hi there!

I shave. I have been doing it since my teens, as I really hate hair down there. Initially I got very sensitive too, but then your skin gets used to it. I shave every day, it is part of my morning routine, and I do it on wet skin (usually sitting on the bidet, as this is a very comfortable position to me). If plain wet still doesn’t work for you, you can try shaving on slightly soaped (slippery) skin. Have a very steady hand though, as it’s easy to loose grip and cut yourself. If you do, don’t worry, I still cut myself slightly sometimes (usually with new blades), but small cuts in the area heal in just a couple of hours and have no discomfort whatsoever in the meantime. I would also recommend you invest in one of those lady shavers with replaceable heads, and don’t use the disposable ones or the male specific products.

I have tried creams and foams and such (even for the specific area), but felt a burning sensation and the effects did not last longer anyway so I just don’t see the point. I have never tried waxing, but have tried permanent hair removal with pulse light (in a salon), only to discover that my hair even down there is way too blonde for it to work. If you have darker natural hair, and you can afford it, I would recommend buying yourself a good quality pulse light hair removal (most multinational brands sell them with a starting price at around 300). It is not unbearable (it is way less painful than one would think and you do get used to it just like to the pain initially caused by epilators), and the treatment would be more or less permanent after using it properly. And you can use it on all areas too, like armpits or legs or arms or even face. It is a good long term investment in my opinion.

As era said I too have shaved since my early teens and your skin does become used to it, I tend to use a little soap like dove shower gel, and a new rasor x

I'm also a man (sorry!) but I've been shaving now for almost a year and I found that what really helped was to exfoliate before shaving. I use one of those bath sponges with a soft side and a slightly rough side - get them in any supermarket. Just give the area a little gentle scrub for fifteen to twenty seconds or so, then soften up your skin in your usual way and shave, and afterwards exfoliate again - gently! After a shave or two you should notice your skin's a lot less sore and you shouldn't get any red patches or ingrown hairs either.

I go to a salon for the "hollywood" wax, all off including in between your arse cheeks which is better for us as we enjoy anal. My waxer has become a good friend now! It's hard not to feel embarrassed to begin with as I have to participate a little by spreading my cheeks to get every last hair but I was fine after the first appointment and it's the best way to get long lasting results for me. My appointments take 20-30 minutes every 5 weeks or so

Another man here I'm afraid.

Both I and my OH shave regulalry - we normally do it in the shower almost daily. We find that the shower gel lubricates the razor and as it's done regulalyr the hair doesn't get long enough to cause much resistance.

My OH uses some moisturiser afterwards but I don't bother. We also make sure we change razors often - old razors get blunt quickly and can drag causing cuts and sorness.

Good luck

PS I did try a home wax kit once - not only was it a complete failure but it took ages to try to get rid of the wax - I wouldn't try it again!

Hey! I can super relate to the not-going-to-a-salon thing. I know, logically, that to them it's just "another person like all the other people", but I am too shy and sensitive about my body and body hair to go.

I have a couple of tips in regards to shaving though:

1. Cut the hair short first, as short as you can safely cut it without any personal damage (believe me... not worth it!)

2. Exfoliate before you start! I don't know why it helps, but it does, and also makes the chance of ingrown hair (used to be a big problem for me) much smaller.

3. Use a brand new razor. Your skin will thank you. Don't use any of those cheap disposable ones either. Use one with minimum 4 blades, it just makes the whole process better. It's not good for your skin at all if you have to go over it many times with a small blunt razor.

4.Use shower gel or shampoo instead of foam! It makes the razor glide easily and it also tends to show you the hair better.

5 Don't go against the grain. People differ on this, some say do one time each way, for me it has proven infinitely safer and healthier to just go with the flow, and preferably only once.

6. Use an unperfumed moisturizer

7. Exfoliate again the next day.

8. Keep up the shaving frequently.

I've tried home waxing, and it really was an unpleasant experience and it took forever to get the area back into working order. Just... not worth it for me!

There are special creams and hair removal gels you can use. I've tried a couple. If you do, my best advice is to actually do one of those skin-tests the packaging always tell you to do, cut the hair short first, use the gel/cream over a small area at a time, and keep the hair down by shawing frequently after. I've had mixed results, and once I got a chemical burn all across my lady garden. Not romantic. Not sexy. Not pleasant.

Good luck!

DO NOT HOME WAX!!!!!

Please, do not suffer that pain! It's far too easy to do it badly, I speak from experience. There was a time I had to keep smooth down there but couldn't afford the salon and thanks to my dark hair showing through skin shaving wasn't good enough... So I can say honestly that home intimate waxing is the devil's work. I'll urge all innocent souls to avoid it, lest it suck you to the same murky abyss my once pure soul has been taken.

I know it sounds tedious but my OH plucks herself smooth, gives the best results that last for a long time with the bonus that plucking can kill follicle, so less to pluck in the long run, my OH has hardly any growth now on her lips! Win, win for both of us!

Yes man wrote:

I know it sounds tedious but my OH plucks herself smooth, gives the best results that last for a long time with the bonus that plucking can kill follicle, so less to pluck in the long run, my OH has hardly any growth now on her lips! Win, win for both of us!

Oh goodnes, does that not take forever and a day?

Shadow Collector wrote:

DO NOT HOME WAX!!!!!

Please, do not suffer that pain! It's far too easy to do it badly, I speak from experience. There was a time I had to keep smooth down there but couldn't afford the salon and thanks to my dark hair showing through skin shaving wasn't good enough... So I can say honestly that home intimate waxing is the devil's work. I'll urge all innocent souls to avoid it, lest it suck you to the same murky abyss my once pure soul has been taken.

PREACH!

Clockwork_Oasis wrote:

Yes man wrote:

Oh goodnes, does that not take forever and a day?

Takes a while, normally a couple of hours but she obviously thinks it's worth it as it's the only way she does it!

I have found laser hair removal extremely effective it is expensive but worth it in the long run. I stumbled upon a brilliant product called 'Sass Perfect Me' I found it in boots (I think :$) Whatever you choose waxing, shaving etc it really helps with any skin irritation, good luck :)

Yes man wrote:

That sounds like absolute hell. She has the pain endurance, will power and patience of a warrior

popk1n wrote:

Yes man wrote:

That sounds like absolute hell. She has the pain endurance, will power and patience of a warrior
+1 I did try it with my epilator (manually I would have never!) a few times, but quickly went back to shaving. :)

Thank you for everyones input. I knew I could count on the lovehoney community for some sound advice.

If you experience redness or ingrown hairs I recommend the Miracle Oil that Lovehoney sells as well. I shave pretty much daily, with good old shower cream or gel and recommend keeping razor fresh.