Long Distance Relationship

So I'm currently in Australia, and I will be for a few months yet, but my guy is back home in Scotland, so as far as long distance goes, this is a rather large distance! So obviously I miss him, quite a lot!

Anyone ever been in a long distance relationship?

Do you have any advice for making things easier?

Advice for keeping things alive?!

Yes, I have and it wasn't easy. You have to trust him 100% and I would say ensure you both know how to use skype/facetime etc to make sure there are regular chats/seeing each other.

One suggestion I was told was to set up regular skype date nights/emails

I'm afraid it isnt easy and I dont think there is any solution or help to make it easier. I personally found it very difficult and am healthier and happier for not being in a LDR now.

Stay positive and just remind yoursel you are nearly home!

(ps love the user name!)

occhiverdi wrote:

Yes, I have and it wasn't easy. You have to trust him 100% and I would say ensure you both know how to use skype/facetime etc to make sure there are regular chats/seeing each other.

One suggestion I was told was to set up regular skype date nights/emails

I'm afraid it isnt easy and I dont think there is any solution or help to make it easier. I personally found it very difficult and am healthier and happier for not being in a LDR now.

Stay positive and just remind yoursel you are nearly home!

(ps love the user name!)

I do trust him, defnitely! I don't think skype or facetime is something that will ever happen, we don't even talk on the phone! Both of us seem to have major problems with phonecalls!

We do text every day though. I'm finding it more difficult than I thought it would be. It really sucks!

I seem to remind myself constantly that I'm nearly home!

(Thanks! First time anyone has ever commented on that particular User name!)

We were appart during university and have now been married and together for 4 years. Shes heading to America soon though and it won't be easy then.

I would recomend skype even if you aren't used to it, maybe just make sure you have time to say something every other day.

Hope it goes well

xrd_man wrote:

We were appart during university and have now been married and together for 4 years. Shes heading to America soon though and it won't be easy then.

I would recomend skype even if you aren't used to it, maybe just make sure you have time to say something every other day.

Hope it goes well

Thanks, hope it goes well for you too, I can't imagine how hard it is when you have been together for four years!

Maybe I'll bring up the idea of skype.

I agree with regular dates either on Skype/messenger/phone. I'm not too great on the phone but it's become such a habit with my long distance partner. There's nothing quite like that contact as it's the closest form of contact in LDRs- that and with webcam.

Messages and texts are good too but they're easily misinterpreted.

Try sending him a little hamper of goodies to show you're missing him and vice versa. Letters are a really nice touch too with photos. Little things like that make a big difference.

As for keeping things alive- sexually, just try and be a little adventerous. I know, kind of difficult with the distance! But things like getting each other off on the phone can be mutually satisfying especially knowing thir exact thoughts. You can invest in a realistic dildo, and him in a male sleeve/stroker. You can invest in a willy moulding kit so that it's really realistic- I think they're a bit fiddly though- http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/fun/sexy-gifts/willy-moulding-kits/ It's a good phase in your lives to talk about fantasies and get to know each other more as it really is focused on communication.

Ps, I agree about Skype. It's practically a must-have for LDRs. This is a great site for ideas to keep things refreshing- http://www.lovingfromadistance.com/thingsforldrcouplestodo.html

Great minds, eh? ;D

I very much agree with all that's been stated. That link to ideas to keep things going and fresh in LDRs are really useful.

I did buy the willy moulding kit and we were supposed to do it when we got together last... but we never got round to it. >.< I don't think he'll be able to do it sucessfully on his own. The reviews make it seem a little awkward! Oh well, next time!

Thanks for all the advice!

Skype is definitely something I will have to work up to! And phonecalls... We are just such awkward people, it's a nightmare.

Surpringly the texting isn't a problem, we know each other well enough to understand the meaning being the words. Most of the time anyway.

I love the little hamper idea! though now that it's been mentioned, I don't actually have his address, though he has mine!

Phonesex is something I have tried before, and I don't think I've ever felt so awkward in my life!

MaloSiempre wrote:

Thanks for all the advice!

Skype is definitely something I will have to work up to! And phonecalls... We are just such awkward people, it's a nightmare.

Surpringly the texting isn't a problem, we know each other well enough to understand the meaning being the words. Most of the time anyway.

I love the little hamper idea! though now that it's been mentioned, I don't actually have his address, though he has mine!

Phonesex is something I have tried before, and I don't think I've ever felt so awkward in my life!

Face to Face is something I found comforting and helped when I was having a bad day.

You say that about texts, but I remember times when something was so simply said and it was taken wrong all because of the mood one of us was in!

Hampers are amazing ideas :D

How long have you been together and how long have you been in Oz?

I am in a long distance relationship to and skypeing is a must for me. I am not sure if we would still be together without it.

I to hate the phone. So much so I do everything I can to put of making phone calles. Skype really is not as scary as it first seams. You should give it a go. When I first started skyping I just use to voice chat with no video, this helpped me to build up the confidence about using skype and now I am ok skypeing anyone.

Ive been in one for 27 years off and on

Stay positive

dont moan, dont pass on your stress to your OH always sound happy to hear his her voice send surprises reminisce about the good times, forget any faults they may have. If you arrange a phone or skype call make sure you keep it.

Good luck, 3 months? Ive been longer under water lol (an expression from Saudi Arabia)

skype or telephone isnt absolutely essential we used to write letters

phone sex, visit her,flowers,wine and dine and engagement ring otherwise it wouldn't have worked for me.

Wish you good luck.

My OH proposed marriage by letter when I was in Saudi, that sort of made it worthwhile

I've been in Oz since... November last year. So it's not so bad, and I was back in Scotland in june. We've been officially "together" for two months. I've known him for a while and, the whole relationship thing was a should we shouldn't we thing, because I'm not there.

Oh I understand that about the texting, that has happened with us before, but now if we think that a text could be taken the wrong way we usually sort it out before it can be!

Skype and phonecalls is something I don't do with anyone! I''m that bad! Though skype is probably a good idea, phonecalls are so damn expensive.

MaloSiempre wrote:

I've been in Oz since... November last year. So it's not so bad, and I was back in Scotland in june. We've been officially "together" for two months. I've known him for a while and, the whole relationship thing was a should we shouldn't we thing, because I'm not there.

Oh I understand that about the texting, that has happened with us before, but now if we think that a text could be taken the wrong way we usually sort it out before it can be!

Skype and phonecalls is something I don't do with anyone! I''m that bad! Though skype is probably a good idea, phonecalls are so damn expensive.

I didnt do them with anyone but my ex... skype is something I am not really a fan of.

I would say.... go with the flow you've been together 2 months and he has to be as commited in it as you.

Some good suggestions on here. I think it is important to share the small things, talk about thoughts that have occured to you, ideas for the future, films and TV.

One big thing would be to both make an effort never to end a correspondance on a negative point, it will start to make the relationship feel like a drain rather than a form of support

Lovehoney - Nicole wrote:

Even instant messaging is better than texting, it at least allows you to have a realtime conversation (albeit, non-verbal). If I were you I'd install skype, and if you're not comfortable talking on it, use the instant messaging feature. Also to be noted is that skype can be really frustrating unless both of you have a good internet connection :(

Well I use viber, which is a free text and call service that uses the internet, so it's instant.

MaloSiempre wrote:

Even instant messaging is better than texting, it at least allows you to have a realtime conversation (albeit, non-verbal). If I were you I'd install skype, and if you're not comfortable talking on it, use the instant messaging feature. Also to be noted is that skype can be really frustrating unless both of you have a good internet connection :(

Well I use viber, which is a free text and call service that uses the internet, so it's instant.

and it has free calls :D:D:D

occhiverdi wrote:

MaloSiempre wrote:

and it has free calls :D:D:D

Never heard of it, must check it out! :D

yes, it has free calls, it's amazing for instant texts, but unless you have the most fantastic internet connection, then phonecalls make people sound like slow motion robots!

And yeah, check it out, it's a free app!

3-4 hours isn't that bad a difference! I'm on 9 hours right now, and soon it will go back to 11 I think.