Making meals together

What are some fun but fairly simple meals I could cook with my OH?

I always find that the fun in cooking is doing it yourself. But then again, my wife cant cook for shit, so she never bothers and I wont let her :P

EskimoKisser wrote:

I always find that the fun in cooking is doing it yourself. But then again, my wife cant cook for shit, so she never bothers and I wont let her :P

I hate my husband being in the kitchen when i cook and vice versa. Wouldnt work for me!!

My husband can't cook to save his life

my flatmate says fajitas are easy, fun and sociable to make. i prefer eating them as im a bit of a culinary disaster and most people are glad that i avoid the kitchen. a man who can (and will) cook is a must for me!

xH

My OH is banned from the kitchen since I caught him finishing cheese on toast in the microwave

xGGx

the microwave is a kitchen god! (except for boiled eggs, i learnt the hard way)

i get my partner to do "important Job" when i cook or wash up :) it basicly means "can you please hug me whilst i do this" i love it.

This is the easiet, you hold the phone get ur OH to dial the number and jobs a golden a nice Chinese ordered together :)

Of course in joking lol a nice Bolognese very simple and quick

cant go wrong with a good bolognese or pasta bake. can pretty much try whatever you like in it. currys also quite easy to make but can go very wrong if you experiment too much. we both do cook quite well i like to think n i do the majority of it. occasionally we'll help each other but i tend to get a bit handsy n get threatened with various kitchen knives

I and my partner use to make meals togethr all the time. This thread reminded me, that'll be great to do it once again =)

She cooks I help prepare stuff and wash things (my mother trained me) lol

Ork wrote:

Hazy wrote:

the microwave is a kitchen god! (except for boiled eggs, i learnt the hard way)

Heracy I say lol

haha thats my mums opinion too! she hates them. both my parents and my sister can cook. they tried to tech me, but it seems like a wasted effort. im doomed to a life of burnt food for my sins...

lol maybe i should learn to cook when i finish uni :p

Our kitchen is pretty small so it's not always practical to both help with the cooking at the same time, but we do try, or at the very least one cooks and the other washes up to spread the load a little. We do quite enjoy cooking though and try to help each other, although there are some meals that one or other of us always takes more responsibility for, for example I always make the lasagne if that's what we're having, because my lasagne is awesome, and he always does the curry because he's way better at that than me. Other stuff we make together is stuff like fajitas, spaghetti and meat balls/bolognese, pasta bakes, chilli. I don't know if you're into baking, but we quite like to bake stuff together because we both have a terrible sweet tooth, just stuff like muffins, fruit loaf, banana bread.

Stir fry, I would say. You can go for the super easy super lazy option: get a sauce portion sachet and ready chopped veg from supermarket prepared veg section, throw them in a frying pan / wok and boil the noodles which you then throw in at the end (don't get the ready prepped noodles, they are just evil!) A lot of supermarkets even do offers on them if you buy several items together.

If you want to "elaborate" and your stir fry skills are more advanced, you can get all the veg, spices and other bits separately but still buy ready-made sauce, or go crazy and make it all from scratch. The ready-prepped option is easy and no fuss even if you don't know anything about cooking because it's just a case of throwing it all together, but it still feels more like cooking than horrible ready meals.

I enjoy cooking together, but you have to know how to divide the work - you always risk it becoming a mess if two people are trying to do one job. Either divide it between prepping and the actual cooking, or one person is in charge of veg and the other of meat when you do a roast etc etc. (just like professional kitchens..) ...also it's not always about actually cooking together but deciding what to cook and tasting and hanging out in the kitchen together that matters, obvs!

Any Italian pasta dish ! usually you dont need more than 5 ingredients , not long to cook and lots of fun later !

Aglio, olio, prezzemolo e pepperoncino :)

How did you know this ?

Go on the BBC good food website - it's pretty awesome considering it's free.

One of you can make the starter/main/dessert. That always works well as sometimes you feel like a spare part as not many meals require two people to help!