Meeting boyfriend’s dad and sister

So, I’m meeting my boyfriend‘s dad and sister soon for the first time since we started dating, but I’m really nervous… I’ve never really met a partners family before!

Any tips? Questions I can ask, should I bring a gift? I’ve got his sister a book as it’s her birthday and she loves literature. I’m thinking of getting some flowers for his dad and his dad’s partner…

I’m not sure if there’s anything specifically I can do to help things go smoothly, but any tips and advice are welcome!

2 Likes

Just be yourself and be polite (which it sounds like you would be anyway!). If your boyfriend likes you chances are his family will too. And even if you don’t end up being besties it’s far more important that you and your boyfriend get on well anyway. You’re dating him, not his family.

So stay calm and try to enjoy it :blush: good luck!

1 Like

All I can suggest is not overthinking it! Before I met my boyfriends family for the first time, I asked him what they’re like and gauged my interaction off that. He told me they can be quite tactile. His mum welcomed me with a huge hug and I immediately felt like part of the family and have never worried since. I’ve never bought them gifts (except birthdays, Christmas etc) but I think that’s a lovely idea.

1 Like

@Cassii yeah I’ll always be polite, of course! I’ll try and be myself. I think I’m quite different to what they’re used to, I’m kind of a hippy, not very money focused, and have an alternative background and I guess I worry they might not think I’m good enough for NAME as I think they’re all quite ambitious

@For_Your_Eyes_Only_x yeah I’ve found out a bit about his dad and sister so I have something to go off, I might try and talk to him a bit more about them so I feel a bit more prepared!

@Justthe2ofus2007 I hope they like me and I can have a good relationship with them, they’re important to me simply because they’re important to my bf. I’m probably worrying too much like always :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Hi @ScarletRose :slightly_smiling_face: You might want to remove the name. It feels very comfortable on here, and it’s easy to forget that it’s a public forum, but anyone can read everything. The less unnecessary personal info the better. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

Aww just go with the flow hunny.

Ask her about literature. Has she read the book u got her? Is she doing a course etc.

What does his dad do for a living. Maybe ask more about that.

I’m sure conversation will flow. You’ll all be trying to make an impression babe.

Omg first time I met my ex’s family he knocked a big bottle of boost all over me. I was so embarrassed lol

Just be yourself and ask basic questions if you don’t know what to say. When I say basic I mean things like how’s your week been or questions about his hobbies or work. Sister can ask about what her favorited books are and what else she likes etc.

Also some flowers for the house can be nice but isn’t necessary.

Lastly you can talk to your boyfriend about his family to have a idea of good topics to bring up, but try to relax and not be nervous.

@Ian_Chimp don’t worry, it’s not my real name

@Orgasm_Chaser yeah I’m defo gonna ask her about what poetry she likes and talk to her about Lana Del Rey who we both really like. And yeah I’m going to ask lots of questions to everyone! I think I’m just nervous so having some ideas in the back of my mind helps!

@Enchantress29 yeah I think sometimes I feel a need to always be asking good in depth questions but maybe simple is good too! I’ll be meeting them after they come back from holiday so at least I can ask them about that!

Thanks everyone :kissing_heart:

Keep us updated with how it goes!

1 Like

I’m afraid I have no real advice for this one - I’ve had minimal “meet the family” situations and one was just a disaster that I prefer to forget :joy:

However, whenever I meet friends new partners I’m always much more interested in how they are with each other in their interactions etc, and how comfortable and happy my friend seems, than whether they ask me a specific question or whatever. So be yourself, and I’m sure the rest will all flow naturally! Hope it goes well :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I wouldn’t worry about being different from what you think his family “might want in a partner”.

My wife was almost the complete opposite of me (we were flatmates before hooking up), I was a young banker (she used to call me a yuppy - for those that can remember the term from the 80s/90s) and she was the artsy one (made her own clothes which were all “alternative” etc).

We had both met each others family’s before becoming involved so there wasn’t that awkwardness around meeting “the in laws”, but their main concern is 99.99% most likely going to be the happiness of their son, whether or not you are in the same mould as him, or a complete opposite is by the by.

If all else fails, avoid talk about religion and politics… (not serious)

1 Like

My wife was terrified of meeting my family, it took months, they thought I’d made her up.
When she met them they all got on like they’d know each other for years, they loved her like their own daughter.
Just go for it, you never know until you meet them.

1 Like

You refer to your partner by their first name in that post. It seems a little indiscreet, especially after sharing some of their bedroom issues in another topic. :+1:

1 Like

As others have said just be yourself. I am not sure if presents are required, though they do show thought. I would suggest that if you are going for a meal then flowers and a bottle of wine may be appropriate. it will be fine.

1 Like

Some good advice here. I’ve not done a meet the family members since I was a lot younger. Always dreaded it and would be extremely shy and quiet. With time I came out of my shell, but first meetings I was pretty awkward. :flushed:

1 Like

I hope themeet went well. The first time I met my boyfriends dad I was wearing my boyfriends dressing gown and was naked underneath . We where sat having breakfast when he pooped round . I felt so embarrassed :flushed:

2 Likes

Hey everyone, just an update - it all went perfectly well, his family were really nice and welcoming. It was a success :smile_cat:

10 Likes

Glad it went well for you :grinning:

1 Like

Yay! That’s great news :grin:

1 Like

We’re glad it went well for you. :grin:
:chipmunk: :rabbit2:

1 Like