Menstrual cup

After seeing the one on the sex toy testers, does anyone use similar ones for daily use? How do you clean them in 'public' I am very intrigued

If you have a light flow you don't need to clean them in public, you can do it before / after work at home. But after some practice it's completely doable. (I haven't tried a soft cup like the ziggy though, but I've been told it's super similar, just a different removal technique.) You wash your hands, carefully remove it, tip it out. Then you either don't clean it, or use a water bottle to rinse it a bit and pop it back in. You can wipe it with tissue, but this can leave tissue stuck to it which isn't good to put inside you. Then wipe your fingers on tissue or a wet wipe before going to wash your hands. You can also use it with pads, and that way you have the whole pad capacity as a back up.

They were on for testing? There really simple to use. As swishstick says. As long as place in correctly you get no leaks, I usually just try and empty it at home, I mainly do it in the morning and before bed. I remove it and just wash under a tap. I also use pad as a back up. Watch a u tube video there really helpful

I am totally sold on menstrual cups, they are fantastic and I wish I'd discovered them sooner. If I need to change it in public places I tend to use a disabled loo so there's a sink in the stall - can tend to get messy fingers and I prefer to fully rinse the cup (heavy flow) so I'm not a fan of doing it on a normal public stall. They take a few tries to get used to, but once you've got the hang of it they're easy, comfortable, cheaper and more eco friendly. Once I'd got the hang of it I've never had leaks, totally love them. I've not tried the one designed specifically for sex yet but would totally give it a try.

Is it okay to leave a full day at work without emptying? I worry with work in the toilets and people seeing lol

lovelylumps wrote:

Is it okay to leave a full day at work without emptying? I worry with work in the toilets and people seeing lol

I think it depends on your flow, I usually don't change mine at work, but I work shortish days. I use mine overnight with no problem.

On day 2 and maybe 3 I would need to empty around 2 in the day, on day 4 and 5 I can go morning to evening. It really is life changing and eco friendly. I started using them in February and I wouldn’t go back. I think I may even buy period pants and totally get rid of disposables I need to look for sex friendly one now.

BL140505 wrote:

On day 2 and maybe 3 I would need to empty around 2 in the day, on day 4 and 5 I can go morning to evening. It really is life changing and eco friendly. I started using them in February and I wouldn’t go back. I think I may even buy period pants and totally get rid of disposables I need to look for sex friendly one now.

There's a sex friendly one on the testing :)

You wouldn't need to wash these out in between emptying during the day as long as your hands are clean and you disinfect it as the instructions recommend.

If you felt you needed to and didn't want to trot out from the cubicle to wash your hands get yourself a bottle of Pjur Med cleansing spray from Lovehoney. I use it for extra cleanliness when using a catheter as it was recommended by my continence nurse. It's brilliant stuff and body safe. It won't damage your cup either.

It's not a large bottle (100ml) but you could decant it into a smaller bottle.

Alternatively, you could always use a disabled loo (but be prepared to come across some sarky people who might have a go at you if you don't "look" disabled). Just ignore them but if you're followed as I was before I had to use crutches tell them you use a continence aid (or tell them to mind their own business!).

Disabled loos are good for anyone needing to change tampons or cups as the sink inside the cubicle will help prevent cross-contamination opening and closing doors between washing hands.

Some cups will need boiling after a few days use, some will take a 10% bleach solution to disinfect. Definitely don't skip the disinfection stage as per instructions as you can be as likely to develop Toxic Shock Syndrome from cups as you can from tampons due to the amount of time they're inside you.

BL140505 wrote:

You can buy natural sponges from some continence sites. You can also buy soft sponge tampons from them.

I have requested trial packs on the Pander thread.

lovelylumps wrote:

After seeing the one on the sex toy testers, does anyone use similar ones for daily use? How do you clean them in 'public' I am very intrigued

I just checked that one out - looks great. Why has no one ever thought of this before?

Thanks for the replies, I think I may try one

Has anyone tried the sex-friendly one - and actually had sex with it in? Sounds like something we could use!

JohnA wrote:

Has anyone tried the sex-friendly one - and actually had sex with it in? Sounds like something we could use!

I am also very interested in this too

Just a note: I think menstrual cups are a great idea but if you have ever had sepsis or Toxic Shock Syndrome and been advised not to used tampoms, you shouldn't use these either. They are absolutely fine for most women but if in doubt, check with your nurse / GP.