Mirena advice

Ive spoke to a friend about it and she said she is surprised the doc recommended it for me as I have a tilted cervix and ovarian cysts! So... I have cancelled the appointment for now and will stick to the pill :)

occhiverdi wrote:

Ive spoke to a friend about it and she said she is surprised the doc recommended it for me as I have a tilted cervix and ovarian cysts! So... I have cancelled the appointment for now and will stick to the pill :)

If I were you I would get lots of opinions, dont be afraid to ask around. Clinics, doctors etc. Try not to go with what your friend said unless they are an expert. They mean well but they arent trained. My friends didnt think me getting the IUD was a good idea but I listened to the experts and it was a good choice.

she has similar set up to me (so to speak) and also from reading I'm not 100% about it.... i get really frequent UTI's and Kidney infections and apparently it can be increased with a IUD...

I'll stick to the pill and maybe readdress it in the future :)

thanks all MM.

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

I've got the IUD and I am considering getting the IUS. I tried lots of mini pills but they just didnt work. I am thinking of trying the pill to see what thats like.

Does anyone know if the IUS chemicals are closer to the mini pill or pill?

I dont want to get that and then the hormones just dont work for me.

The IUS is progesterone only which I believe is the same hormone that's in the mini pill (though with the IUS it's a much lower dose). "The pill" usually refers to the combined pill which is progesterone and oestrogen. External Media

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

I've got the IUD and I am considering getting the IUS. I tried lots of mini pills but they just didnt work. I am thinking of trying the pill to see what thats like.

Does anyone know if the IUS chemicals are closer to the mini pill or pill?

I dont want to get that and then the hormones just dont work for me.

The IUS is progesterone only which I believe is the same hormone that's in the mini pill (though with the IUS it's a much lower dose). "The pill" usually refers to the combined pill which is progesterone and oestrogen. External Media

xxKPxx

Oh right.

Well with the mini pill I was bleeding every 4 or 5 days. I dont want that again and its quite a big thing to keep havcing done.

Bumping an old thread... but Im considering Mirena again, as my blood pressure is high I know the doc will pretty soon recommend coming off the birth control pill.

Comments/experiences would be appreciated!

Mainly how long did you wait to have sex after getting it done?

I have this & I love it, no problems at all, no periods, no PMS, nothing, can't recomend it highly enough but I know not everyone is the same. Only problem I have is rooting around sometimes to check the strings monthly, haha!

Not sure on the sex thing cos I wasn't seeing anyone when I first had it fitted so wasn't an issue, Will have a look in my info pack when I get home & see if it says in there.

MissTerryCleavage wrote:

I have this & I love it, no problems at all, no periods, no PMS, nothing, can't recomend it highly enough but I know not everyone is the same. Only problem I have is rooting around sometimes to check the strings monthly, haha!

Not sure on the sex thing cos I wasn't seeing anyone when I first had it fitted so wasn't an issue, Will have a look in my info pack when I get home & see if it says in there.

Cool.... It sounds like something that would be good for me as a long term solution as I have been told being on the BCP at 31 isnt healthy! (hmmm). Im really not wanting to gain weight or put myself through more pain than I need to.

Reading up on it... as I have had PID, get lots of UTIs and thrush and this makes me think its not really for me.

I had a mirena coil fitted a few months after our youngest was born. I decided to try it because we both hate condoms but as I was breastfeeding that ruled out the combined pill. I had tried the mini pill and just could'nt get on with it and I had previously had a copper coil which, although I loved for the freedom it gave of just not having to worry, it gave me horrific periods.

I too was slightly bothered about the bad reports I found when i googled the mirena but I can honestly say it is the best contraceptive I have ever had! I did have a few weeks of bleeding here and there to start with but I havent had any monthlies since then

I wasnt told to hold off on the sex front at all when I had it fitted and hubby only felt the strings a couple of times before they were trimmed so that was soon fixed. As for UTIs, I used to suffer from them very frequently and they more often than not ended up as kidney infections but I cant remember the last one so hopefully that is reassuring for you.

oooh Blue sounds positive.... im going to look into it and possibly wait while OH is away on business.... im going to ask my doc on Monday when I am there... doubt they can do it asap as im just getting rid of thrush at the moment... its the knocking the strings im concerned about.