Mirena advice

The wife has been thinking of having a Mirena fitted as we have been using comdoms for over 20 years other than for 2 kids.

I would to like go naked the odd time (well twice) we have sex just as she has come on with out a comdom its great realy gets me going.

Do any of the women use one and if so what's the pro's and cons.

You tend to find two schools of women, those who love it and those who hate it.

I will not scare you with my personal experience but will say it may not be for her if she is effected in any way by hormones. They say the hormones are localised to the womb but that was not the case with me.

Weight gain seems to be the normal for quite a lot of women and it is resistant to any attempts to lose it.

Please tell her to do her homework before making any decision, I done mine too late.Get her to do a google search and read other peoples experiences on it.

Also if heavy periods are not an issue then the copper coil may be better as it is hormone free.

Hope you find something that will work for you both xxx

If you go to a GUM clinic and tell them you've been considering it, they'll tell you all the pros and cons of it, along with any other methods they think might be suitable for you and the pros and cons of them. I did research on the injection and went in adamant that that was what I wanted, and I ended up getting the implant after they explained it all to me because it sounded better.

Do Google it, but take it with a pinch of salt. You do hear some horror stories and it makes some methods sound terrible. While such stories are probably true, the wave of people completely happy with their method of contraception tend not to splash it over the internet as much.

I've had this for over a year now and it's the best thing I ever did. I don't seem to have experienced any side effects whatsoever, love not having any periods and hormonally I seem much more balanced, no PMT etc, and I feel I'm the most chilled out have been for about 20 years and no-one has to hide for one week a month....

As has been said there are horror stories out there, I imagine you get that with everything, there's always good and bad, so research fully, ask the health professionals and make an educated choice. As Ecksvie says, the internet is great but as with most things, more unhappy people write than happy ones, same as with hotel reviews etc...

It works for me, altho I do panic every now and then when I check for the strings and they seem to have disappeared...haha!

Hope you find something that works for you both

i have this col and have gained weight but I also know i have terrible eatign patterns with working and missing meals then snacking ..

I have found it great for me but know other people who have hated it.

I have had mine for 4 yrs..had it fitted when my daughter was 6 weeks old and apart from some bleeding on and off in the 1st few months I am period free so pmt free to.

MissTerry I know exactly what you mean about the strings disappearing and that heart stopping moment for a few seconds lol

Other options maybe something like the pill patch.

Hope you find the the thing that works well for the both of you.

x

Glad it's not just me that has 'strings' issues Smirnoff, I did wonder..... lol

To be honest, anything will come with the risk of side effects. I went with the 10-week jab first, and ended up with eleven weeks of heavy bleeding - which along with a young child zapped my energy completely - and ended up having to go on hormone tablets to stop the flow. You'll find similar horror stories about the implant, or the pill, or anything really: anything that messes with your body chemistry comes with a chance of not being suitable, and the only way to find out is to try it.

I had my coil fitted in April, and love it. I used to suffer from insanely heavy and irregular periods, and now I get maybe a day of spotting once a month right on schedule, not even a full period, so for that reason alone, I'm over the moon. I alos had the vanishiong strings issue, can't find them at all myself, but had the clinic nurse have a look and it's all in order, just they've softened and shortened to such a point that they're rather well hidden (but the nurse did say if I wanted I could make an appointment at any time to have someone with a better viewpoint check for me, and told me about what signs should point to things being irregular, like pains or so forth, so I'm fairly comfortable with not being able to check myself).

Some women have reported issues like irregular bleeding or weight gain or headaches or whatever, but that's something you don't know until you try it, and if there's anything you're concerned about, it shouldn't be a problem to pop along and get checked out, and either reassured that it'll settle down or get it removed. That's actually why I opted to try the coil first over the implant, because if I ever needed it removed I can pop up to the gyno at the local health centre instead of having to make an appointment at the actual clinic. It's pretty simple to remove, barring any serious complications.

The insertion process is not pleasant, with sounds and so forth, but for me at least it was really just uncomfrotable and a day of mild cramping - less painful than period cramps - so nothing a couple of asprin and a bit of rest shouldn't be able to handle. for the first few months, periods did still come as heavy as before, although much more regular, with a fair amoutn of spotting and discharge, but that's normal, and worth a couple of moths of slight annoyance for a few years of not having to worry about contraception or possibly even periods altogether.

I'd say definitely go down to the clinc and talk to them about it. They're more than happy to give you all the information you need and talk through any concerns you have, and discuss what other options she might prefer if she's still wary, and let you go away to think about it, although I got mine fitted the day I went.

Just remember that it doesn't take effect contraception-wise instantly, so you'll still need an overlap time where you use both, but it is a long-term gain if it works for her, so a bit of patience is worth it.

Thanks for the replys.

I guess there are pros and cons for every type contraception having used a johnny for so long It would be nice for the wife to sort out something else.

I have got to laugh thou over the past 23 years must have spent a fortune on Durex up until a few years ago WE USED 2 at a time.LOL

Mind you by time she does anything the change will have happened.

I have the mirena coil and it caused me to gain weight but on the upside i have no periods!

Downside for my boyfriend is that occasionally the strings stab the end of his willy ...

Research is key.....i cant have anything with hormones as i have horrific adverse reactions.....(the pill made me hallucinate!!!).............hormones react to people in all sorts of ways...weight gain etc........

I have to say though i have a normal coil with no hormones and its been a god send........the current one i have is in for 10 years.......just get checked every year and thats it....my periods are alot heavier but thats the only real downside....also coils can make you more succeptable to infections......but its really worked for me.

But yeah consider every option before you go ahead and make a decision!!

The only con for me with the Mirena is that it hurt like a mother f***er when I had it fitted and for about 5 days afterwards.

The pros are - no periods at all, it's as effective as a sterilisation but isn't permanent, unlimited condom free sex!

xxKPxx

i also have two children and have had this in about two yrs, i love it and wish i'd got it age ago. i've had no period either great! when it first goes in u can feel the strings with you hand until they sofen up.

if my partner is in very deep ie different positions he says he can feel it rubbing on his bell end and love it! he normal cum's soon after. how have u manage 20 yrs of condom's the 6 weeks after i had my children killed me. i hate condom's!

Well nothing happened about this and it's not been mentioned for few months now so suppose I have to wait until the wife ready to do something about it.

I don't wont to push her it I will have to wait until the change to lose the condoms.

I'm getting Mirena fitted on Thursday... there are so many horror stories online I'm starting to question getting it! I am a size 16 at the moment and don't want to put on weight meanwhile they day that with the pill which I've been taking since I was 18!

How ouch is the string... as I have warned the OH he will feel them but we really go at it deep and hard and I dont fancy him screaming like a girl or me getting hurt!!!

occhiverdi wrote:

I'm getting Mirena fitted on Thursday... there are so many horror stories online I'm starting to question getting it! I am a size 16 at the moment and don't want to put on weight meanwhile they day that with the pill which I've been taking since I was 18!

How ouch is the string... as I have warned the OH he will feel them but we really go at it deep and hard and I dont fancy him screaming like a girl or me getting hurt!!!

The string is fine as long as they don't cut it too short. Your partner will probably be able to feel it but not painfully just a slight texture difference.

My weight was totally unaffected by the Mirena. The hormones are very localised unlike with the pill so I'd be very surprised if it truly caused weight gain.

It's probably worth a try because if you get on well with it the Mirena is excellent, if not you can just take it out and everything goes back to normal. External Media

xxKPxx

KittyPurry wrote:

occhiverdi wrote:

The string is fine as long as they don't cut it too short. Your partner will probably be able to feel it but not painfully just a slight texture difference.

My weight was totally unaffected by the Mirena. The hormones are very localised unlike with the pill so I'd be very surprised if it truly caused weight gain.

It's probably worth a try because if you get on well with it the Mirena is excellent, if not you can just take it out and everything goes back to normal. External Media

xxKPxx

KP... i have just text the OH about not going through with it... there are so many horror stories :|

im wondering whether to put myself through it and see OR just stick to the pill

I've been using the Mirena for over 10 years now and having previously been fitted with a copper coil which gave me the mother of all periods I was delighted when my periods finally stopped. I didn't gain weight despite my terrible eating habits and my OH doesn't mind feeling the strings every now and then.

If you're having one fitted soon, take some paracetemol before your fitting and I'd recommend going home to bed afterwards with a cup of tea and then some sleep.

Personally, I think it's worth it - I've saved so much money now that I don't need to use tampons!

Just make sure she (and you) have a good look into it before hand. I've heard the coil can really hurt but also heard great things about it too. Every ones different, so if you don't have any look with that there are others you can try. I really recommend the implant. I've tried so many different types of contraception and thats the only one I haven't had any trouble with plus no monthlies for me. Sadly though the anti depressants make me very dry so we are back to using the horrid little rubbers with loads of lube.

Hope you find the contraception that works for you.

I've got the IUD and I am considering getting the IUS. I tried lots of mini pills but they just didnt work. I am thinking of trying the pill to see what thats like.

Does anyone know if the IUS chemicals are closer to the mini pill or pill?

I dont want to get that and then the hormones just dont work for me.