My ByBox

Hmm, my nearest is at a petrol station, maybe 15 minutes away. Not too bad i guess.

Anyway, i think the service is probably not for everyone, but I can imagine some people in different circumstances that it could be a really useful service. I used to live in a shared house at Uni, and post wasnt particularly private. This service would have been handy. Assuming its not that much more expensive than standard delivery.

I would have found it helpful at one period, when there was never anyone home to sign for parcels. Now, there is usually someone at home, so we wouldn't use it. And no pickup location in our town anyway.

Its a great idea for some that are working and not sure if they will be in to recieve a parcel or need that privacy from family and friends.

For me my nearest one is 30 mile trip for me; as I live out in the sticks, so I would not use this personally, but then theres always someone in here.

Great idea though.

Hi,

I had a look and my nearest one is some miles away and, without a car, it'd be a real pain to get their by public transport. A nice idea but I'll stick to Royal Mail.

Regards

M4S

Ditto, the nearest one to us (Sheffield) is in Rotheram. I've picked up parcels before from a depot near where it is and it was far from convenient.

Well the area where they are situated near me isn't great... so I probably wouldn't venture there.

I like the way it is now. Nice, simple and quick.

Mine's in town, but it's arseways up a horrible one-way system, and up-hill, too, so driving would be hellish and walking even more so. Especially when my local PO is only 20mins up the road, definitely not something I'd ever use.

I think its a great idea for people that live miles & miles from their local sorting office. But my sorting office is only a 5 minute drive away & the nearest ByBox pick up is 20. Plus my sorting office just started late night opening on wednesdays so much more convenient for me to go there.

Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind me joining the conversation. I work for ByBox and spent a couple of years building the myByBox service for online shopping.

Thank you Matt for starting the conversation. Everyone's responses have been really insightful. An obvious point is that we need more lockers - picked up on sheffield so we'll definitely do our best to install one there as soon as we can. But if you think you would use the service but don't have one close enough - then feel free to shout out convenient places near you.

We try to install them in friendly places that people will go passed on their daily route. The reason for this is because collecting a parcel from a ByBox on your daily route is 83% more carbon efficient than waiting in for the delivery driver. Might sound like green washing but happens to be true. Which is why we try to find places that are safe, with 24/7 access, with good transport links nearby (so either a motorway or train station).

We would absolutely love to help anyone that isn't at home during the day and wants to receive a parcel. So your opinions really do help to mould the service.

Thanks all and thank you Matt

Hi ByBox,

You're right; you do need more lockers. But location is critical. I have put in various locations where I have lived and commuted mainly in North and West Yorkshire. The bybox points are not convienient at all. I think you need to research areas extremely carefully. I think your chosen locations proves to be a lack of insight.

Example: I put in York to find the nearest bybox. The closest bybox is in Harrogate. Harrogate is a town for affluent families and tourists. Why would professionals need to use the service when most likely their partner will be at home. Fair enough not everyone in Harrogate has the luxury of one partner staying at home but I bet you they probably have secretaries. Harrogate really isn't a place where there are single, young, professional commuters either. I was surprised to see York not having a central bybox. I know York is a honey pot for tourists but it's a city.

"We try to install them in friendly places that people will go passed on their daily route. The reason for this is because collecting a parcel from a ByBox on your daily route is 83% more carbon efficient than waiting in for the delivery driver. Might sound like green washing but happens to be true. Which is why we try to find places that are safe, with 24/7 access, with good transport links nearby (so either a motorway or train station)."

I'm currently living in Leeds at the moment. The nearest bybox to me is Hunslet. It's definitely not on my commute and I wouldn't venture out of my way so far to do so. I do not feel it is a safe area. Hunslet is near the M621 so you're correct a lot of commuters will use the (short) motorway link. Great for people who drive cars. Absolute pain if you don't. And the motorway is on the south side of the city and Leeds has quite a big one way system route. Another traffic jam at 5pm? No thanks.

(Locations I put in; York, Harrogate, Leeds, Guiseley, Ilkley, Scarcroft.)

So aside from all that, I like to feel I have been provided a special service. I am not sure what special service the bybox lockers are going to provide for me. I feel like the bybox delivery service is only doing half a job. Ideally, from a hard day at work, I like to come home to suburbia to find my package at home waiting for me or the postal slip saying they tried to deliver it. It wouldn't take me long at all to go my local post office pick up point and collect the parcel or ask for a re-delivery.

Ideally, I would love to pick up the phone and say, "I'm home now, please may you deliver my parcel." And within half an hour, just like a take away service, it comes to me. That would be some excellent customer service.

Now I know you are concerned about the carbon emissions. But let's be honest it probably saves a whole lot of money not providing a straight-to-the-home delivery service. But I would spend more money on petrol etc collecting the parcel and spending my time doing so. Time = Money.

I would try putting the bybox lockers very close to train stations, petrol stations, airports and city centres if you're aiming it to commuters. And lots of them.

I've said the above quite quickly and lightly however this isn't a forum about how to improve your business and services. Good luck.

Definitely hit it, SnL. Kilmarnock's where I searched, and while it is relatively near the train station, it's in the opposite direction to pretty much everything, meaning a horrible walk. If you can drive, then you can pretty much pop into the PO on the way home; if you know something's coming, you can even pop in with ID, don't really need the card. In theory catering to non-drivers is the better plan. Here, if it was by the bus station, you'd get almost all of the non-driving communtrs, as well as being convenient and within walking distance of anyone who wants to walk by on their lunch hour or after work. It's even where the majority of the car parking facilities are, so almost everyone in the town heads there or close enough to there that it's not inconvenient to get there.

I do think it's a fabulous idea, but seems to be that the locations aren't any better than POs, and often times are worse, which makes it not as attractive a prospect as standard mail to a consumer.

Notwithstanding the previous comments - I just checked my work address and there is a ByBox 4 mins away which peaks my interest a little more than my previous post!!

But, my employment isn't exactly what you'd call as being on the way to anything - yes it's near the M1 but definately out of the way to get too if you wasn't heading in that general direction anyway....

I think you defo need to check out locations. I note a few people have said their local box is at a Tesco/Asda whereas there aren't any near me. Being at one of these locations would appeal to me. I couldn't care less if people saw me picking up a box from the car park as long as someone didn't try to mug me!!! I might have to batter them with my dildo......

We couldn't agree more! That's exactly the plan, target commuters or mobile workers. So petrol stations, supermarkets, train and bus stations, everywhere.

We realise that where we are today is the first pass at getting lockers on the street and telling people there is another way to do things. Our aim is to get up to 1000 more lockers on the street within the next few years at more of the easy-to-walk-to locations.

SnL you are spot on, because delivering to a locker bank is so much faster and more efficient than couriers, we’re hoping to get to the point where same-day delivery is possible — and next-day delivery is free. So for those days you do come in and find the delivery card, you can expect your parcel within 30 minutes.

And thank you Dirty Red Angel for the feedback - we're sure you won't need to resort to that when picking up your goods! :)

Sorry to dig up this thread but I've only recently discovered ByBox and it sounds like a great way of buying lingerie discreetly (which is really important to me!).

Has anybody actually had a LoveHoney order sent to one, and if so how did it work out?

I know that Figleaves have some kind of arrangement with ByBox, but I don't think there is any reason why you couldn't also send a LoveHoney order to a ByBox? It might just take longer in comparison??

Any advice would be great, thanks!

My ByBox is at the city centre, which is great as the Royal Mail centre is really out of the way (especially as I don't drive at the moment). In fact I have an LH box at the post office at the moment and not looking forward to taking 2 buses just to get there!

Sounds like a good idea for me! Although my nearest ByBox is in a Liverpool tesco that I can't get to easily. Something city centre based would be much better :)

What sort of cost are we looking at?

Mine is on my drive home from work so would actually be better than me hoping a neighbour doesnt sign for it and go snooping.

Been looking into ByBox and it seems that it automatically choses the nearest box to my home post code?

If I was to use it, I'd want to chose the box. I basically want it to one near a train station for a weekened away.