Naughty trip to Amsterdam

Me and the oh have just booked a short break next month to Amsterdam. I was wondering if anyone has visited it and has any advice/things to do and see? The oh has been before many years ago with a friend on a drunken weekend break, but wanted to go again to see more of it, and I've been wanting to go for a long while now too. Seeing all the sex shops and possibly visiting the red light district(s) especially appeal to me and I suggested it to my oh as a means it might spice our sex life up a bit and for a bit of a giggle.

ronnie-baby

xx

There are two museums that consider sex. One's more about prostitution and the other's about sex toys. The Red Light district is known as the Walletjes. Ite lies between Oudezijds Voorburgwal and Geldersegracht. Lots of sex shops there. Many sex shops have peep shows, which you might find exciting. There are also sex shops which cater to the leather and fetish crowd. One famous one is Rob, which is really for gay leathermen. Many sex shops have video booths and there are shops that have private cabins which you can rent by the hour. There are also sex cinemas and sex cinemas with dark areas and labyrinths. If you are looking for anonymous action these can be quite exciting.

If you thinking of going to a working girl/boy. Be polite and ask her/him if she/he is willing to do what you want. Agree to a price and stick to it. You will have to pay in advance. Always wear a condom. Don't be a pain and try not to go in when you are drunk. Take the amount of money with you that you are willing to spend. Leave the rest of your money in the hotel safe.

There are also nightclubs like YabYum and others. Fetish parties are organized regularly, but you need to do a bit of internet exploring to find the dates.

There are also numerous coffee shops. They can vary greatly in quality and friendliness. Check out the online Amsterdam Coffee Shop guide. Smart Shops sell legal pyschedelics.

Big shopping streets are the Kalverstraat and the PC Hooftstraat.

Watch your wallet/purse/handbag, especially in the more touristy areas.

If you want to explore the city a bit more; I recommend renting a bike. You can find bike rental shops all over town, make sure you lock it up properly though when you are not using it.

I came back from Amsterdam with the OH last week, was an amazing trip went for 6 days and wish we had more time.

Not sure how your getting there, but if your flying, I would recommend the train to central (somtimes written as centraal) station. TRY NOT to buy tickets for the trams on the tram itself, it's cheaper from shops. Everyone is friendly and nice and everyone speaks English, don't be afraid to ask directions.

I would highly recommend the Ann Frank house, but go late, around 8:00 otherwise it's packed and you will queue for 1-1.5 hours getting in, check the closing time, but I think 8:00 was when we got there.

The van gough is also pretty good, but expensive and you will need time.

The chips are great!

There us a great little shop called pylons, if your into quirky colourful gifts it's located on Leidsestraat? in the leidseplein.

As for the red light district, 10:30 onwards is when it livens up a bit, during the day it's not as interesting. Lots of sex shops, with a huge selection of things, unfortunately I have only recently told my OH that I quite like her being the dominant one, we didn't really have time to get anything useful, don't buy cheap handcuffs they hurt! Lol.

We went to the sex museum, it was over rated, but maybe worth going for just saying you have been. Then there is the erotic museum, I think that's what it was called, we only looked in the entrance to this one, but it looked better than the sex museum, we just didn't have the time.

Just have fun, it's a great city with loads of experiences

I came back from Amsterdam yesterday, but we were only there for a few hours on a mini cruise. We went to the Heineken Experience, which for 16EUR you get two and a half pints, plus a 4D cinema thing, loads of little interactive things to do plus learning about brewing (and tasting wort... unpleasant!) It was great fun.

It's quite nice to just wander round, take some photos, sit in a cafe. The canal cruises were also recommended to us, but we didn't really have time :(

Agree with a lot of what has been said. Have been to Amsterdam a few times and visited Van Gogh/ Rijksmuseum / Anne Frank's Haus / Tropenmuseum etc. Must say my favourite bits are off the beaten track.

Definitely recommend the flower market and if you like cats as much as me you might enjoy the KattenKabinet. Around the KattenKabinet is is also a really nice area of Amsterdam to stroll around. If you love Art Deco then take a trip to the Tuschinski Theatre which is a cinema that used to be an auditorium/theatre. It's definitely one of my highlights.

The sex museum is supremely over-rated - the one in Paris is much better.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned are the sex shows. Obviously, they're a vehicle for selling lots of drinks so you get a lot of preamble - the usual ping-pong-ball-firing, banana insertion and permanent marker inserted and used to write on one of the audience's chest. The sex show itself is highly choreographed and, while impressive, I did not find it at all erotic! I suppose if you want to say you've been, go. If you want anything else out of it don't bother.

Just strolling around the red light district is fun and very easy to navigate. People will try and sell you illegal drugs in and around the red light area - just ignore them. If that's your thing, go to a proper shop where it's legal.

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

*sigh* I wanna go to amsterdam now. I want to go a lot of places. Ideally just anywhere out of this little town and away from screaching seagulls would be enough for me. Will have to have a chat with the OH when he gets up. Certainly can't afford a proper holiday, but just going for a trip a few miles inland would be enough! I'll ask if he has any need to go to one of the nearby villages! Lol!

Aw! You sound so down. Hope you get a trip out.

Enjoy Amsterdam RB. Watch out for that space cake (or was that just in Deuce Bigalow?)

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

*sigh* I wanna go to amsterdam now. I want to go a lot of places. Ideally just anywhere out of this little town and away from screaching seagulls would be enough for me. Will have to have a chat with the OH when he gets up. Certainly can't afford a proper holiday, but just going for a trip a few miles inland would be enough! I'll ask if he has any need to go to one of the nearby villages! Lol!

One time I collected up some vouchers from a newspaper and so got the flights to Amsterdam free - except for the tax which wasn't much. I then booked hostel accommodation which was the cheapest way of staying there. Obviously holidaying isn't cheap, but keep your eyes peeled for deals!

I have to agree with Alice about the Sex Museum being over-rated; it's really overpriced for what you get!

When I was in Amsterdam I went on a boat trip around the canals which was fantastic. Although my guide wasn't great the buildings and bridges etc were beautiful and I highly recommend it. There are tons of boats offering tours so the best thing to do is ask at a few to find the best price - I paid around 10 euros for a 45 minute trip.

Amsterdam is an amazing city, have fun!

Last time I went to Disneyland I pulled one of the elves' woolly hat over his eyes because he was pestering me. I received a good talking to and the odium of wife and 3 children for the rest of the stay. My mother on the other hand couldn't stop laughing about it.

The nicest thing we did last time we went to Amsterdam was a visit to the handbag museum. If you have jewish roots the Jewish Historical Museum is worth a visit. You can also view the Portuguese Synagogue and the Holocaust Memorial Project. Seeing my family's name there was quite an experience.

atlanta wrote:

The nicest thing we did last time we went to Amsterdam was a visit to the handbag museum. If you have jewish roots the Jewish Historical Museum is worth a visit. You can also view the Portuguese Synagogue and the Holocaust Memorial Project. Seeing my family's name there was quite an experience.

I second these suggestions. Also the Botanical Gardens (the butterfly house was quite something!).

Lovehoney - Alice wrote:

Avrielle_Aniko wrote:

One time I collected up some vouchers from a newspaper and so got the flights to Amsterdam free - except for the tax which wasn't much. I then booked hostel accommodation which was the cheapest way of staying there. Obviously holidaying isn't cheap, but keep your eyes peeled for deals!

I'd love to bump into Alice in a hostel! (The Stayokay Hostel by Vondelpark is quite nice btw, for anyone looking to stay cheaply. There are cheaper places but they're in noisier, less nice places and in older buildings with loads of steep stairs to lug your stuff up.)

I agree that Amsterdam isn't actually that sexy a place - just amusingly full of novelty. The sex shows are more bizzarre than anything else, the sex museum is meant to be pretty rubbish and I wasn't that turned on when walking around the Red Light district - more just pleased and fascinated by how open it all was!

Let's face it Dutch people are more interested in cheese than in sex ;). Fortunately for us all they have been remarkably sensible about commercial sex in the last 40 years or so, but it hasn't always been like that.

For those interested in expressing their sexuality and dressing up The Wasteland and The Clinic are two of the main fetish parties. They are organized about twice a year.

For a good fetish shop, I'd recommend Demask: http://www.demask.com

Lots of rubber, leather and bondage gear. Not cheap though. It's where we bought our first strap-on, which was a pair of rubber knickers with internal and external dildos. Now THAT was a good night! :)