Need A Little Help From The Girls!

I'm going on hiliday next month and i am going to be due on my period. i went to doctors to delay my period and he has prescribed me

NORETHISTHERONE

now i was just wndering, is this a contraceptive as well? or just somethin to delay my period a week? does anybody know, would be nice to know as i dont wanna make a holiday baby!

sorry, the letters have worn of my keyboard, i meant holiday. and any other spelling mistakes i made, very sorry

Direct from Net Dr;

Question

I wanted to delay my period for a week because I am going on holiday.

I was prescribed Norethisterone tablets 5mg, to take three a day for the duration of the holiday. I wanted to know if these tablets have any contraception effect.

Do I still need to carry on using condoms when I have sex with my boyfriend, for the time when I am taking these tablets?

If I don’t use condoms and have unprotected sex am I at risk of becoming pregnant? I do not take the contraceptive pill.

Answer

The answer to your enquiry is yes! Your are at risk of becoming pregnant if you have unprotected sex while taking Norethisterone to delay your period on holiday.

So do continue to use condoms and have a successful holiday.

Yours sincerely

Dr John Pillinger, GP

Oooh thanks!!! you just stopped me nearly having a baby at 18 haha! saved my life, i honestly didnt even think to ask my doctor, how dosey is that!

I've taken it and was absolutely fine with it, but other women I know have had horrendous side effects that have ruined their holiday, I made sure I had a trial run the month before I went away to essentially change my cycle and make sure I came on the week after we came back, you will probably have a very heavy/painful period after stopping it too. I have the uncanny knack of having my period due when on holiday but since changing my cycle I've managed to time things right, I always manage to come on early too, 3 days early this time , which would have been smack bang in the middle of being in Egypt last week if I hadn't altered things.

We go away again August bank holiday week so I'm keeping a close eye on things, I'm trying to decide whether to have the mirena coil fitted to hopefully stop my periods completely.

I was given Nortistherone by my doc last year when I was suffering with extremely heavy bleeding for weeks on end, prior to using the coil. The desired effect was to lessen the blood flow (it didn't work very well for me) so I imagine it has been prescribed to you to delay menstruation. So it is not a contraceptive.

A better tactic, for future use, would be if you are OK to use an oral contraceptive and you find that your "bleed" is due when you are going on holiday or have a special event coming up, is to not stop taking your pill after 21 days but to start a new strip right away. It isn't advised that you do this too often though.

Enjoy your holiday hun.

id say that if your not already in the pill and you def dont want a baby go on it and use condoms aswell that way your getting more protaction then just a condom and no worrying about taking the morning after pill.

i do have a tip though, even though your be using condoms ask your doctor for a privet percrsiption for the morning after pill to take with you as you never know if a condom might spilt or come off. a few years ago when i went on my holiday with my bf at the time my docotor said that this was a good idea and it certaily turned out to be as the condom had split one day when we was away! i was also perscriped the pill your be taken to stop them but i never got to take them as my period had come early as i had started to take the mini pill.

i take the cerazette (SP) pill which has stopped my periods completely, so i have no worrys now of when my period might turn up to ruin things. and it is lovely not having them anymore, i think maybe if as your not on the pill and def dont want babys yet it might be good to go on it or have coil or something aswell as using condoms as this way you proctecting yourself 2 ways from having an unwanted pregancy and the condoms there to stop any STD's aswell.

Dxx

awwh thanks everyone, much appreciated, we're only going to butlins. nowhere posh, but still i want to go swimming thats why i got this.

i am going to look into getting a regular contraceptive pill as i am always a bit concerned a condom may come off or break. it's never happened luckily and we have been together nearly two years now!

but really thanks to everyone. i've been a little worried about this so thanks you've put my mind at rest

Vampyrewillow wrote:

i am going to look into getting a regular contraceptive pill as i am always a bit concerned a condom may come off or break. it's never happened luckily and we have been together nearly two years now!

We've been together over 3 yrs... and only had one break for the first time recently.. theyre amazingly durable so long as you treat them with respect...

Hi Speedo but has the animal lust ever gotten the better of you, and you have gone through your durex????

TB

ok not sure where to put this, had look for it with the search button but couldnt find what i was looking for.

ive been on cerezett (SP) since 2007 and in the first few months of taken it i would bleed but not much ect but once my body got used to it my periods completely.

so now im a bit worried/unsure as when i went for a wee a little while ago i had some spotting in my knickers and when i whipe myself the was some spotting on the tissue now as i dont bleed anymore im not sure whats happening? ive not missed a pill, taken it every day and i have a 12 hr time scale i can take it in.

does anyone have any advice?

a bit worried

Dxx

I'm on that hun but very occasionally still get spotting. Some women even continue to have periods on it - I did the first time I took it. Though not this time. If you are concerned, call your doctors and ask for the GP to call you back; that way you'll know right away if there is need to be worried. xx

bigbrownblowjobeyes wrote:

I'm on that hun but very occasionally still get spotting. Some women even continue to have periods on it - I did the first time I took it. Though not this time. If you are concerned, call your doctors and ask for the GP to call you back; that way you'll know right away if there is need to be worried. xx

see ive not had spotting since i first started taking it, not sure really.

maybe its cos i didnt take it till 3pm today when i normaly take it when i wake up. but when ive taken it a bit later then normal nothing happend before as got that 12hr time period.

i will see how long it last and then i might contact the doc :S just feel silly phoneing about spotting :S

Dxx

i know if there is anything really wrong you should go to the doctors and im not saying people shouldnt do that ect

but i dont see anything wrong in asking other women about periods, spotting, pills, patches, condoms or coils ect as this is what women have been doing for years and years.

im not good with words but i wanted to put a reply.

i do remeber that thread but it wasnt other people worrying me i might be preggers, i remember being worried about that by myself.

as ive only ever had spotting before periods starting, i dont know what other reason it could be to course it.

i didnt google it as i never know what good sites to look out and take notice off.

so i came to ask here where ive always recived good sound advice, to ask about spotting which as ive already said i dont know much about thought was just a normal womens problem to ask about.

i know not to next time now.

This could be an occasion for "is there a doctor in the house???" Or in this case it would be "is there a doctor on the boards??" ^_^ hehe

x x x

Hi Diamonds...

I am on cerazette love and I get spotting a lot. My gp has said this is perfectly normal as i was hoping it would completely cancel out my period as well as t be used as a contraceptive. I dont get the spotting at any particular times either- ie when my period would be due.

hope that helps

xx

To be fair I DID clearly say to ring the GP.

Spotting is a well known side effect though and is printed on my leaflet for it. BNot claiming to be an expert at all.

i am on the same pill and get spotting a lot too, but as others have said it is something to inquire about at your doctors/ GUM clinic to be certain about.

while it is correct to go to the doctors as many are male they will probably not have the experience of taking medicines, and while any advice given here is to be taken with a pinch of salt it can be extremely helpful to hear other's experiences, esp as spotting is a common side effect of this particular medication

it might also be worth looking at the cezarette website as there is plenty of advise on there. http://www.cerazette.co.uk/bleedingpatterns.asp

thanks BBBJE, PPB and SL

i phoned my doc's as the nhs website and the cerazetter website was unhelpful.

and she thinks its just the pill but if it keeps going on or gets worse im to make an appointmeant with the nurse to have a little check up.

as i keep saying i wasnt looking for medical help just some womenly advice/information

next time i wont ask on the forums

Diamonds