New Royal Mail Delivery Plans

It seems that Royal Mail's latest plan is to allow posties to leave your undelivered mail (including signed for items) with neighbours instead of taking it back to the delivery office. Worrying there will be NO way for anyone to opt out of this scheme meaning that your private post and LH packages can and will be left with people that perhaps you don't know or even trust!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-14346271

You can raise your concerns about this idea here (second link down):

http://www.psc.gov.uk/consultations/royalmailstermsandconditions

I read this am concerned for 2 reasons, I sell on Ebay and that could be a nightmare with people claiming non receipt. But on a personal level I really do not want Lh parcels going to my neighbours, one side is fine I know she wont open anything but the other side is flats with a regular turnover of tenants I never get to know. Certainly not enough for them to see the things I buy

xGGx

You are correct GG, eBay will become a nightmare. We only post via recorded/special delivery as it is due to PayPal's rules but this will no doubt make things much worse.

I do not trust our neighbours an inch and certainly do not want any sensitive data/packages left with them. In this age of identify theft and electronic crime this is really is a stupid idea.

My postie has actually been doing this for a few years, which is great for me as in the past I've just missed him, been left the red note but have to wait up to 5 hours before I can pick it up at the office.

Having said that, it's a nice area and the postie knows we're okay with him leaving packages with my neighbour. I can understand why people wouldnt want their neighbours having their post. My sister lives in a flat with a shared letterbox and she gets her post delivered to her old address here as she doesnt trust her neighbours.

I don't know if this is strictly allowed but out postie signs for parcels himself and then leaves them in an agreed safe place. Works well for us but we do trust our postman and have a secure area to leave things.

I agree though, although our neighbours are fine, I wouldn't be happy with just anyone signing for my stuff!

Ecksvie wrote:

My postie has actually been doing this for a few years, which is great for me as in the past I've just missed him, been left the red note but have to wait up to 5 hours before I can pick it up at the office.

Pixie_Murree wrote:

I don't know if this is strictly allowed but out postie signs for parcels himself and then leaves them in an agreed safe place. Works well for us but we do trust our postman and have a secure area to leave things.

Our postie would have no problem leaving things for us if we asked her but sometimes she is on holiday or sick so friendly arrangements don't always work. The biggest problem with the new plans though is they don't give you any choice in the matter, there will be no opt out.

Probably depends on where you live, im rural and we all know each other. Plus my grandmother is my neighbour so I know she wont snoop

Well. if thats so, I am really really worried, because our neighbour apparetly is stealing items if left with her - 2 delivery companies made that mistake and my landlady never saw the items again! As the woman just refused to give those up and they had to redelivery her a new one. So no, no, no! I dont want my stuff left with that woman, as I would have to go to what? Legal claims? And be at risk of never seeing my items again? Thanks, but this is not a good move.

I do not want my post, which amongst other things can and will include:

Bank details

Money (cash, cheques, loan information etc)

Expensive goods such as electronics

Underwear

Sex Toys

Other personal details that COULD be used in IDENTITY THEFT & FRAUD.

being delivered to neighbours that I do not know, have no wish to know and do not speak to, ever.

Not to mention that should any item goes missing, it will be hell to prove that they took it. This is such a terrible idea.

I tried to read through the documents, but I did not get one thing, I may be missing it. And thats what would happen if they leave my parcel with the neighbour and she denies it. I will be parcel short?

As mentioned in section 2.1 above, other delivery companies resolve questions of liability in different ways in their terms and conditions, but generally do not accept liability beyond the point at which they no longer have control of the item. Royal Mail considers that this is the intent of the Mails Integrity Code and is a reasonable approach for the trial. We recognise that it is important to be clear about whether the posting customer, neighbour or receiving customer is liable for loss or damage to items. Royal Mail would address issues of liability in the amendments to the Schemes and terms and conditions for the trial. We seek any consent which Postcomm considers necessary under Condition 8(2) for any non-compliance with the Code which might be caused by the normal operation of the trial affecting Code Postal Packets.

So she would keep my stuff and I what? Would be money down?

dannyxcore wrote:

I do not want my post, which amongst other things can and will include:

Bank details

Money (cash, cheques, loan information etc)

Expensive goods such as electronics

Underwear

Sex Toys

Other personal details that COULD be used in IDENTITY THEFT & FRAUD.

being delivered to neighbours that I do not know, have no wish to know and do not speak to, ever.

Not to mention that should any item goes missing, it will be hell to prove that they took it. This is such a terrible idea.

Completely agree! This is a really bad idea, I really cannot believe they thought of it!

I don't want stuff being left with my neighbour.

Take LH for example, 5 seconds on Google and anyone knows secret phrase is sex toys at Love Honey! Brilliant having the neighbours knowing about my shopping habbits.

Mine does this all the time, and I take in stuff for the neighbours, too, but again it's a small place and he knows everyone and knows we're ok with it. But I'd be concerned about later down the line: the folk I have the other side are old, and it's a council owned house, and nice as they are, it'd be stupid to assume they'll be there forever. And, given I'm the first non-junkie to be in this place for over six years, there's every likelihood that when they get replaced, it'll be someone who I wouldn't want to take in my junk mail, never mind anything important!

Granted, again I'm sure the postie will do what suits us, as he's a lovely chappy and just wants to make things as easy as possible on folk (to the point where he has nearly killed himself sprinting after me to give me a parcel to save me walking up to the office!), but I also don't plan on being here forever, and not everywhwere will be so lucky.

And it is too much of a grey area about whose responsability it is to whine at the thieves should they decide to hang onto what they get. I remember the woman at the post office giving me the wrong parcel, and i never noticed until I opened it. I took it straight back, but she was in bits because apparently I could have legally kept it and the post office would be held accountable (and they'd have looked to her when they had to pay out for it!). Fair enough in the case of a mistake on their part, but if they purposefully give it to the 'wrong' person...then what? It's all too vague for my liking.

A really bad idea, most objections have been mentioned on here. I wouldn't want my neighbours getting any of my mail and I get on okay with most of them. Plus you've got the added worry of identity theft. I doubt RM will sort the problem out if this happened. Again Royal Mail abrogating it's responsibilities.

Not sure if I'm going blind but I can't see anywhere on the link that allows you to object to this.

Sharry: there is postal address and email, I used the email, telling them we already had items stolen by our neighbour and we definitely object against this, as apparntly those items would be considered delivered and we would be basically buying her nice things, as she would keep them. And I am not sure what LH would do after announcement our lovely neighbour kept my parcel.

I send my sculpts out to customers by RM next day signed for and would be very worried about using RM if they introduced this. This is not on.

WHAT THEM sorry but my neighbours cant be trusted they took one for brother a while ago and clearly somone had opened and re taped it.

Laveila wrote:

Sharry: there is postal address and email, I used the email, telling them we already had items stolen by our neighbour and we definitely object against this, as apparntly those items would be considered delivered and we would be basically buying her nice things, as she would keep them. And I am not sure what LH would do after announcement our lovely neighbour kept my parcel.

Thanks, just seen it.. told you I was going blind!

Writing an email now.

Satoshi wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

Pixie_Murree wrote:

Our postie would have no problem leaving things for us if we asked her but sometimes she is on holiday or sick so friendly arrangements don't always work. The biggest problem with the new plans though is they don't give you any choice in the matter, there will be no opt out.

I got our postie into trouble recently. I moved from 48 to 45 in the same apartment block and he was bringing mail addressed to 48, to me in 45. I then had to collect a parcel from the sorting office and blerted out 'well he normally it through 45, he knows I've moved there'. Next time I saw him he said he got a bollocking off his manager, I was gutted for him.

I didn't realise that this wasn't always allowed. I can't remember not having stuff signed for by neighbours if they were in.

But I'm lucky, I love my neighbours

Lucyfer