Royal mail - leave with neighbours concern

I really don't know if this is the correct place to discuss this. I myself would find it very uncomfortable if one of the neighbours picked up one of our parcels.

What are your thoughts and have lovehoney thought about this? Especially, the september roll out is coming.

It says something discreet on the label (and its small) and unless they know what that is they wont have a clue :) x

Yea I have stuff delivered to work and reception pick it up and stuff, no one has clocked it yet. I hope anyway! I've been off work this week and a little birdie tells me I have a present waiting for me at work haha

I can understand your concern and if I lived in an area with dodgy or unreliable neighbours I wouldn't be too happy either.

Lovehoney though have all their packaging as discreet as possible so nothing really gives it away. It's Royal mail's policy that ends up being the one to really be dissatisfied with if you really don't want your neighbours to have your mail. I think you can also give further direction at a safe place for a package to be held though. You may also want to use the special delivery at a certain day to cover your ends.

Kohaku... You're not supposed to use the secret phrase... >.<

Nymeria wrote:

I can understand your concern and if I lived in an area with dodgy or unreliable neighbours I wouldn't be too happy either.

Lovehoney though have all their packaging as discreet as possible so nothing really gives it away. It's Royal mail's policy that ends up being the one to really be dissatisfied with if you really don't want your neighbours to have your mail. I think you can also give further direction at a safe place for a package to be held though. You may also want to use the special delivery at a certain day to cover your ends.

ah crap, what have i done?! I didnt know anything was a secret?! lol

It's just what's wriiten on the package (label) isn't supposed to lead any curious people back to this site. It's ok though, it'll be censored later. =)

ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh silly me. sorry!! x

No problem, it was just a heads up. Don't worry about it. =)

worse case scenario ?

the parcel breaks and the blow up doll pops out LOL

I don't think it's Lovehoneys choice, it's actually a Royal Mail thing that's happening. They will start to leave parcels with neighbours or safe places regardless soon if I remember correctly from what I read in the news. Lovehoney are giving you the option to request where it goes. You could ask for it to not be left and returned to the post / sorting office I think ?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2189671/At-Postmen-leave-parcels-neighbours-spelling-end-hated-sorry-cards.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Kohaku wrote:

Nymeria wrote:

ah crap, what have i done?! I didnt know anything was a secret?! lol

Yeah, I think it's to stop the site from coming up if anyone curious Googles what's written in small print on the package. :P

And I'm quite lucky - if we're out, the postman generally spots the coal bunker at the side of the house and leaves us a slip through the door saying that's where the parcel has been left. :3

Or, I have to go for a walk and pick it up from the Post Office Depot - which has really awkward opening times. I mean, it shuts at one in the afternoon! D:

We have a porch so things are generally left there unless you have to sign for it.

expensive but considered something like this as a possible solution?

http://www.hippo-box.co.uk/hippo_default.aspx?pg=1

When I'm not at home- or decide to turn the front door bell off, packages are literally left on my doorstep. Or on the wall. Or, once, when we were away for a week, slotted in between two wraut iron railings on our front porch. That gave me a fright, as the packaging had been torn slightly to reveal the very top of a plain white box- with the lovely LH logo on it! But they've never been left with the neighbours. I guess our postmen are a little lazy, but I actually like that they leave the boxes there. I've never had to pick up a standard parcels from the Post Office Depot- which would get quite awkward, as you need to bloody find it and get to it.

SN that only works when they put the parcels somewhere obvious.

my parents had a postman who instead of leaving it with my gran next door (semi detatched) would put parcels into the coal shed - in the middle of summer.

There is an opt out, if you get one of their leaflets you can call for a sticker which goes on your letterbox.

It lets the postie know that your post doesnt go to a neighbour and you wont take anyone elses either

as an ebay seller I am really unhappy with the whole idea

xGGx

Same here we know are postman well he leaves post at the back same with other deliveries!!

But I did have one or two leave with next door! lots of pyrotechnics and chem!!

Ah, yes - it does seem to vary from area to area and from postie to postie as to where they leave your parcel for you!

We switched our First Class service to First Class Tracked some months ago, and with First Class Tracked you can nominate a 'Safeplace' for your parcel to be left (like the coal bunker!) so it should go where you nominate instead of to a neighbour for extra peace of mind.

LH definitely use Royal Mail then? I've had a few parcels not come (ordered very closely so may have came altogether) I contacted LH and they said to ask Royal Mail and if they're not here by Tuesday to let them know. I think neighbours can be trusted though as my Mum has a lot of parcels and they usually leave a slip to say which address it is at so unless you were rivals I doubt they'd open your post. xx

sweetlove666 wrote:

SN that only works when they put the parcels somewhere obvious.

my parents had a postman who instead of leaving it with my gran next door (semi detatched) would put parcels into the coal shed - in the middle of summer.

Seems to me like your parents postman needed his head examined. How long did it take for them to figure that out? Surely, if he's not gonna be bothered to take it around the hedge to your neighbours to back to the depot, he could at the very least scribble a message to tell you where he's hidden them on the back of those notes they leave to tell you you've missed a parcel. Hmmmm, that is bizarre.

I have a very friendly relationship with my postman, lol. My room is at the front of the house, and my desk is alongside the window, which is actually the path that the postman has to take to get to the front door- due to a very spikey and spider-infested bush which sits to the other side of the door! This means that quite often, I'm sitting by my desk when he pulls up, and the number of times I've taken the post in through the window is brilliant! I just feel, if he's got the letters in his hands, and my window's already open, I might as well say a warm hello and save him from bending down yet again to reach the letter box. Also, it VERY MUCH helps when he's got parcels for me, because as I said previously, I have a tendency of turning the doorbell off when I know I've got something large coming my way (as I dont want to alert my parents to the number of parcels I get which I can explain!), and he will very often just pass it through the window to me.

I wonder, if to possibly stop the postman from returning stuff to depot or leaving with neighbours, if they would take notice if you left a very discreet note on the letter box to simply say 'If I'm not at home, there is a sheltered hidden place [state where] where you can leave a parcel on my behalf.'? If they've got written permission, they're more likely to do it.