No- scalpel vasectomy

Hello :).

Im asking in behalf of my husband who isnt a member of LH community, but has any had the no-scalpel vasectomy done? We are looking into having it done privately so we can pick & choose our dates, but it seems less invasive and quicker recovery compared to a standard vasectomy. He's in his mid 30's and we have two beautiful children. We both agree that we dont wish to have anymore children and im struggling to find a contraception that suits due to hormone allergies and blood clots that run in my immediate family history.

Hope to hear some inputs or advice :). Many thanks xx

Hi, my hubby had the no scalpel vasectomy and I was in with him for the op. It was very quick, he agreed to the needless injection for local anesthetic however he would not recommend it as it is quite painful The female doctor described it as feeling like an elastic band gently flicking the testicles, my hubby does not agree! they "inject" quite a number of times on each testicle, more than if it had been a standard needle so that's something to be aware of. It was all over in 20 minutes and he had the weekend to recover before being back in work on the Monday. His was done on the NHS at our local doctors surgery. In the long term he has had no problems.

Hope this helps 😁

NSV takes about an hour and a half. Very little swelling and virtually pain free with minimum bruising.

Your GP can book you in and you can choose a slot with the clinic. No need to go private.

Thank you both for the replies :). Nice to see it went ok for you and recovery afterwards wasnt too painful. I'll take note of that Libby (in regards to anesthetic), sounds rather uncomfortable!

Will look at NHS route too.

Thanks again xx

I had mine done 17 years back.
Pair of sisors. then in and done.
But I do suffer with ball pain now and again.
No real pain on the day or following days. but no one will tell you or him about the long term possible tie of ball pain
.Sorry if it's negative but it's what has happened to me

I'm on the waiting list. Procedure 8th July, and I have a pre-op phone consultation before then, some time next week. I'll ask then if it's the non-scalpel method; I dont mi D either way but pretty sure that's the most common method these days even on the NHS.

Was 13 weeks from initial docs appt to the snip date :)