Not really in the spirit of things

I keep getting loads of friend requests but when I check them out they're from people who just have a 'sex toy tester' list - they have no posts, no comments, no reviews etc.

Not really in the right spirit to join the forums just to get freebies (which dosen't work like that anyway) I realise that these people may start posting etc but think it would be better to join in a bit first instead of just adding a sex toy tester list ?

I kind of agree with you Terri.

I guess everybody deserves a chance to test something though, and I must admit I hadn't posted much when I made a tester list, but did start posting as soon as I did.

It shouldn't be a requirement that people have to post to get to test things, but the way I see it is it's nice to get involved with the community and show that you actually care ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

I am sure the LH staff will take things like that into consideration before they start sending stuff out.

But I do agree with what you are saying.

Also to add if a person is confortable posting on a forum then they will be naturally more confortable posting a review . Just my penny's worth .

Sometimes I just wish there was an inbuilt spell checker as well ![](upload://l9s9e23YKLHpoOzgGVeUkhZGcEr.gif)

Terri JJ wrote:

I keep getting loads of friend requests but when I check them out they're from people who just have a 'sex toy tester' list - they have no posts, no comments, no reviews etc.

Not really in the right spirit to join the forums just to get freebies (which dosen't work like that anyway) I realise that these people may start posting etc but think it would be better to join in a bit first instead of just adding a sex toy tester list ?

ive had a couple i dont recognise and theres nothing on there profile. I find it bit weird

Terri JJ wrote:

Quite agree Terri . I only acknowledge fellow posters and contributors.

We have 4 friend requests but the Friends thing seems a bit pointless as it doesn't do anything. As for posting in the forum, we don't really have the compulsion to post much unless it's something that really interests us. We do love writing reviews for testers though and always try to make them as detailed as possible.

I must admit I havn't had any friends requests form people I havn't had any dialogue with .

So I can't really comment on that part.

It be good if Lovehoney did something about the friends `option` maybe a chat room for Lovehoney members to go to, obviously moderated and certain rules apply. It could work, IF it was set right

SensualFire wrote:

It be good if Lovehoney did something about the friends `option` maybe a chat room for Lovehoney members to go to, obviously moderated and certain rules apply. It could work, IF it was set right

true .be easier to chat to others.

jimbogemini wrote:

Terri JJ wrote:

Quite agree Terri . I only acknowledge fellow posters and contributors.

I am the same. When I get a friend request from a name I don't recognise I just delete it. It does seem odd to get requests from people with no posts and no reviews; why do they want to be friends?

However, I love getting requests from people I have interacted with on the forum and often send requests if someone's post makes me laugh or resonates in some way.

SensualFire wrote:

There used to be a chat facility, before I joined, but it was discontinued presumably because it was not cost effective to moderate. At least with this open forum everyone can see what is being said and join in if they want. Any abuse is also reported quickly, too.

I've had a number of requests like that Terri as a rule i only accept the ones where people have contributed to the site via reviews and/or forum

simplysexy wrote:

Speaking from the perspective of a new member here. I intially signed up after placing an order and getting OH points (I'm a sucker for collecting points anywhere!)

I looked further into LoveHoney and realised this forum was active! So often forums dedicated to sexuality are either inactive or have few members. I decided to review a few products after reading reviews that were short, and in my opinion, didn't tell the full story.

Today I made a Wishlist for Sex Toy Testers on the off chance that I might be selected in a few months. The same day I got an e-mail saying I would test a product. I can see why this might annoy the regular users here, especially when a newbie 'gets in' so quickly. Hopefully I'll do the review justice and get speaking with you guys soon - maybe we can compare notes!

It's not the fact that a newbie would get selected for a tester, I'm pleased for you, it's really exciting :) But more the fact that that's all some people seem to want - a freebie but they dont want to bother to write even one review or join in on here. I'm also a bit perplexed why anyone would want to add someone as a friend if they have never posted or interacted on the forum.

Good for you - your reviews must be up to scratch and informative if you're being sent a tester - enjoy and I hope you get sent many more - it's always exciting when the list is changed and an email arrives ;)

I agree Terri JJ, there has been so many new members recently as well I hope they start some dialogue and get chatating to everyone :) I've only been on here a month but everyone is so nice the friends I have on my list are people I have spoken to and got to know :) x

Terri JJ wrote:

No postie no likey.

Lovehoney - Jessa wrote:

I agree with what Terri JJ said - I'm no expert but I imagine a large amount of people hear about freebies, their ears prick up and they sign up for ALL THE THINGS, add ALL THE PEOPLE and then after a day or so realise that you don't just get things sent out to you for free, you do need to be active... and those people will then drop off from being active.

Not to worry! ![](upload://nXzNBAACFMemirV1148YTO7ENey.gif)

Yes, I imagine that happens a lot!

I won't name names, because it's not nice, but lately I've seen a few new members with very obvious usernames that, lets just say, suggest they've only created a profile for freebies. I've never seen any of these people post, but it's quite sad to think that there are some out there who expect something for nothing in return.

I agree with Jessa though, I doubt these people get much of a look in if they're not actively contributing ![](upload://ez5kOkpKXRZOxjavAURYmQxVTau.gif)

Shame they missing out making new friends by not interacting

Terri JJ wrote:

When I first started reviewing my own purchases and created a tester wishlist I had no intentions of joning the forums. I was quite shy in the chatty respect and had never used a forum before. I didn't think my OH (and dom) would like it either. But then I started getting friend requests and I felt rude not accepting them, then rude not interacting with those people so I ventured onto the forums. I see your point with the SEXTOYTESTERJESTER type accounts, but some folks might just be shy. They might love sex toys and writing reviews and they might just be sending friend requests because they like your reviews and want to keep an eye on them. Just a thought 😉

OUCH! Thank you ;) wrote:

Terri JJ wrote:

When I first started reviewing my own purchases and created a tester wishlist I had no intentions of joning the forums. I was quite shy in the chatty respect and had never used a forum before. I didn't think my OH (and dom) would like it either. But then I started getting friend requests and I felt rude not accepting them, then rude not interacting with those people so I ventured onto the forums. I see your point with the SEXTOYTESTERJESTER type accounts, but some folks might just be shy. They might love sex toys and writing reviews and they might just be sending friend requests because they like your reviews and want to keep an eye on them. Just a thought 😉
I was kind of the same - its not that I didnt want to post, I am just a bit shy and you can see people all know each other and you dont want to interrupt. Like off of Lovehoney, I am not even on any social networking site. I do love the idea of possibly helping someone pick a product by writing a helpful review though and I find writing the reviews really theraputic :) Ngl though, once you start, the forum gets pretty addictive haha :D