[Not so sexy] Help with UTI issues

My OH has found she is more prone to a UTI if we have sex during or before that time of the month, is that normal?

drink lotz of water...go to the loo pre and post sex...

Make sure she goes to the loo frequesntly at other times to...i had a bladder scope a few years back as though i did not feel ill i had constant raised white cells ..a sign of infection and it was discovered I had a narrow urethra..since having this done I have not had a problem...

Maybe worth requesting furhter tests.

For the record, we're incredibly aware of all the basic problems: water intake, controlled peeing, sugar levels, vitiamin c intake. It's just that we've now established that antibiotics aren't working either, hence the problem, and our looking into Cystex - we're just looking to see if anyone has used it before, and/or knows where to find it in the UK and Ireland.

Some of the information in this thread is a little concerning to say the least - I work in a microbiology lab in hospital ( currently at a GUM lab) UTI's are in no way affected by sexual position if antibiotics are not working ask if urine samples have been sent for culturing - if they grow something they should be tested for antibiotic sensitivities against the microbe. advising people not to take antibiotics is irresponsible without people knowing the full history - in extreme cases uti's can develop into blood poisoning or renal failure. If you want would more advice PM me and I'll try and help - Dr do tend to 'diagnose' things like this as uti's with little real thought.

Cheers for the advice, we may ask them questions.

And to be clear, I never recommended that people don't take antibiotics. I said that they have been proven not to work for my partner, and that we are looking for other options.

Seraphina wrote:

Dr do tend to 'diagnose' things like this as uti's with little real thought.

I wonder how often this actually happens? I know it's happened to me a couple of times where I've gone to the doctor feeling like I had a UTI and they've just given me the antibiotics, then when I asked about it later it turned out there were no signs of infection in the samples they sent for culture. So I've definitely taken the antibiotics a few times unnecessarily, which worries me a bit since there's already issues with over-prescribing of antibiotics and resistance and stuff.

I don't get them but a lot of my friends do. It's strange, we seem to have come up with a pattern that we either seem to get thrush or UTIs but none of us have ever had both of them!

I can't really give much advice on positions but a lot of my friends found that using condoms helped. Always makes sure she empties her bladder before sex. She needs to drink loads of water to keep her wee dilute and cranberry juice too!

She should wash after sex (not the most romantic thing I know) but it will help, just with warm water nothing else.

Keep the sex gentle, not so much hard pounding!

Now I'm going to show my age and tell you the advice I was given as a young woman plagued with cystitis

To drink lemon barley water and to make it myself and it does taste nice You slice lemons into a heatproof jug add a couple of handfuls of pearl barley and top up with hot water and sugar to taste and leave overnight

To pee before and after and then afterwards to take a hot flannel and apply to lady bits until it cools

This was in pre-antiobiotic treatment and I was given sulphur based drugs for 6 months eventually which did clear it up completely.

My doctor did say in a very embarassed manner that anal sex did increase its likelihood

Not sure if any of this will help but lemon barley might and also the hot flannel ( does also help the symptoms as well)

ive had them permanently for like three years :' (

drink millions of water

if you feel one coming on then put bicarb of soda in water and drink it

avoid lemonade, lime juice, orange juice etc

dont bother with antibiotics, or buying anything for it