Novelty product for external use only...

Ummm this is on the packaging of a toy I just bought.

This product is intended for use as a novelty product only. For external use only.

Don't know about anyone else but a bit perturbed & concerned to see that written on the packaging of a silicone toy that I bought as a G Spot vibrator.

![](upload://rWunPW3zYHdA0ypr4dRQnAP8JTy.gif)

Most toys say this on, I believe in the face of litigation culture across the pond

Ah ok I've never come across it on toy packaging before

Most things I own have come in box with this on it.. I must admit I've wondered it too : /

Yea most toys tend to come with this warning, or descibed as a massager, it's fine, don't worry xx

It's on some lubes, which is also a bit odd. :)

I may get that as a tattoo

I think it's because it costs a fortune to have all the tests to sell a sex toy so they put that on to say it's not a sex toy but it's your own fault if you use it as one. But don't hold me to that

You heard the lady. Anthing goes.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!aaaaaaaaaaargh

I've heard a couple of reasons, but obviously don't have confirmation or actual 100% I know this for sure facts:

1) It's so the company can duck respnsibility if someone tried to sue them over an accident injury

2) It's because medical devices have to pass through strict FDA rules on what materials can be used and if the company hasn't passed those tests it must print "novelty use only" on the packaging, unless they get their materials tested and pass FDA standards for use in and on the body.

3) It's something to do with trading between countries and drastically reducing the price of shipping if the items are marked "novelty" as opposed to medical devices or other.

So, that's some of the most common reasons I have heard. Don't know for sure the correct answer, but I think the second two sound most logical.

Forgot to add: I am sure I read somewhere that some companies do it merely because they see others do it and follow suit.

By calling a sex toy a novelty the toy companies don't have to prove any medical benefit and they can't claim any medical benefits

How strange *goes off to look at packaging*