OCD

Has anyone got anything that they obsess over? Hopefully no-one here is truly afflicted by OCD as I understand it can really take over your life, but any quirky habits that you can't help but obsess over?

Mine include a need to have the volume of anything on an even number, and any items of laundry needing to be hung with identical coloured pegs.

Nothing too debilitating thankfully!

I really, reaaaally can't stand people who don't properly dress their bed. I will not sleep in a bed that has no pillow cases, no sheets and/or no duvet cover. Ugghh, it's too gross. Can't do it.

i also hate not being able to match colours. I refuse to wear odd socks and will not leave the house if I end up doing so. Bothers me too much, I feel all backwards and grim knowing I am committing such a crime.

I also refuse to put my hands in dirty water - which is hell when you need to soak things. I tend to leave that for the OH when I can but.. deep breaths.. deeeep breaths.. Ugh.

i diagnosed myself with ocd (i fit all the criterias). I'm obsessed with germs. I'm always eashing my hands. It's obsessing when I shake a hand or touch somethinh that has been touched by several person or by a person whom I know didn't wash his hands after going to the toilet, I get really anxious until I get to finally wash mine. Sometimes They still don't feel clean so I have to rewash it again and again. It's worse when I'm in a stressfull period.
I'm also afraid of being sick or catching a std.

If I touch an animal like a pet I have to wash my hands and then they still don't feel clean. It's annoying as I would love to have a pug one day.
I also absolutely have to know what time it is when I go to sleep and what time it is when I wake up.

I have to check my alarm for the next morning atleast 20 times (om good nights). Otherwise I can't sleep because I'm terrified to miss class or work.

*raises hand* Way too many to list here. :) Nothing debilitating so far, but several that irritate my husband.

@alone4ever - yep I have the loo roll one too, I even turn it round in other people's houses if they're hanging it wrong haha!

@Sxleksaker - I can relate to the alarms but not quite to that extreme. Having set the time, I need to switch the alarm off and then on again to make my phone prove to me that it knows what I want, and say 'alarm will go off in x hours and x minutes'

Vanilla_Kink wrote:

I also absolutely have to know what time it is when I go to sleep and what time it is when I wake up.

That is really funny :D

Most m๐Ÿ•ght suspect that ๐Ÿ• am obsess๐Ÿ•ve about p๐Ÿ•zza but ๐Ÿ•n actual fact ๐Ÿ•t's b๐Ÿ•t๐Ÿ•ng straws - ๐Ÿ• just can't stand ๐Ÿ•t. Teeth and straw should never come ๐Ÿ•n contact w๐Ÿ•th each other.

My wife avoids triple drain covers. If she treads on one she has to tap herself or someone else three times.

Weirdo.

Sex Squid wrote:

My wife avoids triple drain covers. If she treads on one she has to tap herself or someone else three times.

Weirdo.

Lol my partner is the same about triple drains. He even tells me off if I push the pram over them haha

I like things to be straight.

Computer key board, cutlery in the drawer and on the table, car parked completely straight, etc. And tins and jars in my pantry have to be neatly stacked with all the labels showing....and I'm the same with my washing....cant stand 2 different coloured pegs on one item ! lol x

I lock the front door, open my car door and then have to go back and check I locked the front door. It's ok if I tell myself in my head that I am locking the front door and don't need to check again but mostly I have to check.

MysticalMayhem wrote:

I hate it when people think cleaning is being OCD. "Ooh I'm so OCD today" NO! Just NO! My OH has OCD and it's painful watching him checking the alarm a million times in his specific routine. Checking the front door a million times. Washing his hands a gazillion times. Running routines in his head. It's frustrating for him.

+1. I have OCD too and it's really not helpful when people act like it's something cool to have. Massive difference between habits, superstitious rituals (like not walking under ladders) and quirks and the actual obsessions and complusions associated with OCD. You don't show off quirks with OCD nor do you find them amusing or endearing or anything else, you live in shame at the thoughts that take over your life and the behaviours that you know are irrational but you can't help performing over and over and over.

Don't mean to have a dig at the thread, but yeah. Title not so appropriate. Could have just called it 'Quirky habits' since it's nothing to do with OCD :/

OCD does come in different levels of intensity. Some of the ones listed above have absolutely to do with OCD and they're not just 'quirky habits'. People also expressed their own in a very simplistic way, it's not for us to interpret theirs isn't as serious as others' just because they chose to confess it here in a funny / self-analysing manner. Let's not be judge, jury and executioner on other people's condition please.

Lovebirds_x wrote:

MysticalMayhem wrote:

I hate it when people think cleaning is being OCD. "Ooh I'm so OCD today" NO! Just NO! My OH has OCD and it's painful watching him checking the alarm a million times in his specific routine. Checking the front door a million times. Washing his hands a gazillion times. Running routines in his head. It's frustrating for him.

+1. I have OCD too and it's really not helpful when people act like it's something cool to have. Massive difference between habits, superstitious rituals (like not walking under ladders) and quirks and the actual obsessions and complusions associated with OCD. You don't show off quirks with OCD nor do you find them amusing or endearing or anything else, you live in shame at the thoughts that take over your life and the behaviours that you know are irrational but you can't help performing over and over and over.

Don't mean to have a dig at the thread, but yeah. Title not so appropriate. Could have just called it 'Quirky habits' since it's nothing to do with OCD :/

Fair point, quirky habits would've been a far more fitting title; it wasn't meant to cause offence.or any upset, as per my first sentences in the opening post... Maybe if she sees this Leanne would be able to amend the thread title? x

MysticalMayhem wrote:

I wasn't judging anyone or anything... I'm talking about people in real life. Who like to think doing housework is being OCD. Or people who say "my car has to be cleaned every fortnight" and then go on to say they have OCD, and they didn't even wash their hands after taking a pee. :/

I know.

Sex Squid wrote:

Lovebirds_x wrote:

MysticalMayhem wrote:

Fair point, quirky habits would've been a far more fitting title; it wasn't meant to cause offence.or any upset, as per my first sentences in the opening post... Maybe if she sees this Leanne would be able to amend the thread title? x
No need to.

It's interesting though, how genuine OCD might develop... At what point might habit become obsessive? For me, things like the loo roll being put on the holder the wrong way is annoying, and bugs me but nothing more. Yet an item of clothing hung with two different coloured pegs, or the volume being on an odd number genuinely makes me feel uneasy. I freak out and have to rehang the washing if my wife has hung it wrong, or hit the off button on the stereo. Just.feels like something bad will happen otherwise. So why do we obsess over certain things but not others?

Any disorder is a collection of certain criteria. People can have some of the criteria without having ocd. These may be quirky habits. I think the title is fine and sex squid clearly made a point of not being offensive to anyone who does have ocd. Just because you haven't been diagnosed it doesn't mean you don't have some aspects of it. In fact most of us have aspects of many disorders just not enough to warrant a diagnosis.