Ole' moonshine!

david doe wrote:

I made 18 gallons of cider last autumn ,gathered apples ,crushed etc ,easiest brew to make , strength from normal beer to make you blind , apples free just look along country lanes, dual carriage ways in the summer , also make sloe gin ,damson vodka which is delicious ,bramble vodka , only 8 gallons of cider left .must make more next year

Double D

Good work!

I usually make my apples into chutneys, sauces and then stew and freeze them. Cider making may be on the cards next year. We've also got damson trees in our garden so the damson vodka sounds like a good idea!

Made several litres of sloe gin this year which was delicious - loads left!

I make blackberry jam every year, but blackberry vodka/gin sounds inspired. I can also heartily recommend raspberry gin (it goes a gorgeous bright pink).

I never knew home brewing was so popular! (says the citee boi, brap, iite *gansta sign* and baseball cap too big for head)

I have no intention of making any homebrew, I'd probably kill someone, but what exactly do you need other than the fruity stuff?

Never thought of making fruit vodka before! Love the sound of it, might have to give it a try sometime!

Alice where is your garden? I love damsons! x

my mother makes all sorts. rasperry and bramble whiskeys, plum vodka, summer fruits rum, sloe gin

my fave is the rasperry whiskey. will probably make some myself when rasps come back in season in the summer.

Tar AA. I didn't expect it to be that simple.

Well, I sorta did because I've heard about elephants getting pissed of 'wild' alcohol but I thought we humans would have refined things a bit more.

WandA wrote:

I never knew home brewing was so popular! (says the citee boi, brap, iite *gansta sign* and baseball cap too big for head)

I have no intention of making any homebrew, I'd probably kill someone, but what exactly do you need other than the fruity stuff?

And a lot of cleaning and sterilising!

Thermometers and little bits and pieces help, if you look it up online there are a lot of good brewing guides, also most of the shops will be more than happy to talk to you for hours about it!

Bakewell wrote:

WandA wrote:

Thermometers and little bits and pieces help, if you look it up online there are a lot of good brewing guides, also most of the shops will be more than happy to talk to you for hours about it!

The problem is I don't like the taste of alcohol so I wouldn't bother doing it myself I just like to learn stuff, even if that includes knowledge I'll never use!

Wow! I had no idea there were so many of us about! I have been making wine and champagne at home since I was a kid. My mum taught me and she was amazing. I always have something fermenting away although most of it ends up being bottled for several years of course. I'm always interested in new recipes though if anyone has them?

LoveHoney - Hella Rouge wrote:

Jamba, your avatar is my new favourite photo. What a joker! Is that Bumblebee?

:D Why yes it is! Poor little fella has been re-homed even though he's always been my favourite character... *sniff*

Bakewell wrote:

it depends on what you make as well though.

when we make the whiskeys we dont bother sterilising the bottles, we just open them and pour them into the rum toff/ bowl and then put the top back on tightly. its had alcahol in it so its not going to go off as long as its kept in a cool dark place.