Our drawers are eating our sex toys.... seriously!

we keep our stash of toys in the bottom drawer of a bedside table, one of a pair bought from Ikea a few years ago.

It seems that the surface of these drawers is reacting with the translucent rubber toys causing them to blister and perish - just had to throw out 3 toys bought from LH recently :(

Really wierd - we've resorted to storing the rest in a seperate box which is a little more awkward to reach for when the need arises

Anyone else experienced this before?

yeah pretty much my thoughts too Avrielle, I lined the drawer with a towel - might well be worth looking into those storage bags you've linked to , thanks for that.

Definately serves as a warning to anyone else though!

If you're a fan of the Lovehoney page on Facebook you can get that satin toy bag for free when you spend just £1

You have to click on the image here for it to be added to your basket: https://www.facebook.com/LoveHoney/app_201742856511228

I think the offer will be changed tomorrow though.

awww what a shame I have never had it happen to me thankfully, but I keep everything seperately, I know that lovehoney do some storage bags, but I also remember Nymphomanic getting some fabric glasses cases from ebay once and using them, they were really good value.

Its just a shame that more toys don't come with their own storage bags.

I agree with the advice to store your toys in a protective environment. But I am not sure about the diagnosis of the problem. Silicone is fairly unreactive with most things (although it can interact with other silicone, this is unlikely to be used as a lining material in IKEA shelfs, and the reactivity is most pronounced with liquid silicones).

I have not heard of silicone as an additive in Jelly Rubber before either, the flexibility is usually given by the addition of phthalate plastisizers. You can see this for example on the LH sex toy materials guide, which states that Jelly toys are compatible with silicone lubricants:

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/buyers-guide/sex-toy-materials-phthalates-rubber-silicone/

Latex rubber on the other hand is fairly reactive with itself and a number of other chemicals, much more likely to be present in that environment.

Alex.

Alex

I think you may well be onto something, according to that link it states

"If you're going to use http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/vibrators/jelly-vibrators/, make sure you cover them in a condom first and never store them together - the materials will react and they'll melt!"

That is exactly what's happening - so it isn't the drawers that's causing the problem, its the fact that they are all piled into the same drawer and they are reacting with each other!

If this is the case - and it seems highly likely it is - I'm suprised it isn't a more widely mentioned or known problem.

M

Moz wrote:

Alex

"If you're going to use http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/sex-toys/vibrators/jelly-vibrators/, make sure you cover them in a condom first and never store them together - the materials will react and they'll melt!"

That is exactly what's happening - so it isn't the drawers that's causing the problem, its the fact that they are all piled into the same drawer and they are reacting with each other!

If this is the case - and it seems highly likely it is - I'm suprised it isn't a more widely mentioned or known problem.

M

Hi Moz,

Storing sex toys separately is HUGELY important, and we've written the following guide to explain:

How to Clean and Store Sex Toys

It's linked to from the main menu ('The Essentials' section) and also from every single sex toy product on Lovehoney, so we've really tried to make it as obvious as possible so noone has to suffer the loss of a beloved toy!

Thanks Alice, duly noted !

M

Ours are in a cardboard box (hidden.. i hasten to add).. hmm may have to store them invidually but we havent had any problems and have had some of them over a year.

On lovehoney `how to store and clean sex toys' there is a bit about SILICONE DILDOS. It says:

`Also remember never to use silicone lube with a silicone dildo' - Can anyone tell me why this is?

The silicone lube can bond with the surface of silicone toys and degrade them. It's said that high quality silcone toys and high quality silicone lubes shouldn't react with eachother but I wouldn't risk it.

Moz wrote:

Alex

M

Ah, I thought from your initial message that the toys were being degraded at the contact point with the surface of the drawers. If that is not the case it is almost certainly nothing to do with the drawers.

Alice - That is interesting, I have never actually found my way to that page, despite it being well linked to as you say. Sound advice. We are trying hard to promote the use of the wonderful phrase "Dali Dildo" to decribe the melting toy phenomenon, think it is brilliantly descriptive.

Alex.

Cabinet is one way that you can keep all the belongings especially the sex toys that you have achieved.