Pelvic floor physio :S

So 3 years ago I give birth and realised my "foof" wasn't as strong as it used to be. I've been super paranoid since I started being sexually active again and it's been hard for me to completely let myself go in the bedroom which had led to my partner suffering a lot!

So yesterday after what seems like forever I finally plucked up the balls to face my inner demons and made a trip to the doctors..she did her examinations and told me I need pelvic floor physio..which has sort of confirmed what I already knew but it's also left me feeling even more insecure than before.

Is there anybody on here who's had this type of physio? Is it painful? What does it entail? Does it actually work?

I'm really sorry for this all being a little TMI I don't really have anybody else I can turn to! :(
& I know I'm less likely to be judged here lol!

I haven't had a pelvic floor physio, but I'm currently doing a pelvic floor training regime by myself. I'm not sure if it's the same, but I'd imagine that they're just there to guide you through the exercises and set out a regime for you. I haven't had kids, I'm purely doing it to increase my orgasm strength and improve my sex life in general, but it has made me tighter down there and I don't leak when I laugh too much now!

Have you ever tried pelvic floor exercises over a period of time to see if it helps? Or have you tried any of the kegel balls lovehoney sell?

I haven't had it, but from my pre childbirth research I would imagine you're going to be shown how to do kegal exercises correctly (possibly with the little bio feedback device to check you are getting the right muscles working) along with other lower body exercises to build strength around your pelvic region. It shouldn't be painful, worst case scenario as it is esentially a work out you could find some of the exercises will leave you sore after (much in the same way your arms would ache after lifting weights).

With them showing you how to do everything correctly yes it will work, it does seem scary but it'll be worth it :)

Nothing to worry about😊
They will just go through with you how to tune into your pelvic floor. By giving you a few exercises. One simple one is to practice engaging your pelvic floor by lifting g it up while peeing..to cut off the flow, then release then cut off again .The stronger it gets the more control you get over it.
The other thing you could do is get a set of kegal balls from here. The larger sets are better as they give you something tangible to tighten up on.
I got the Tracy cox one and it really can help with your pelvic floor.
The other thing you could try is Pilate's.
It is an exercise routine around developing flexibility, your core muscles and balance. Your pelvic floor is also worked during this sort of class, in a fun way.it isn't a crunch lots of hard steps...but simple exercises to gently work on muscle groups that are underworked in any other routine.
The physio will simply go through how to focus on your inner muscles that work the pelvic floor. If you have a prolapse( I had three!!) After kids, they will always try the pelvic floor training route first. If it doesn't and they suggest going in for a repair..., take it! You will be a new woman after!😊
Hope that helps. Be strong and dive in

Thank you both:)

I've done lots of pelvic exercises but my muscles just haven't been responding I've got 4 different sits of kegel balls too!

The doctor looked a little off when she asked me to tense them :(

I've read a lot online but I've just been scaremongering myself which obviously hasn't helped lol! Got to love google!

I think I'm just gonna have to brave this one out!

Thanks NM!

My foof is just ruined I can't even jump along to my fitness dvd without feeling like I'm going to trickle!
What do you mean by repair? Is that surgery?

It could just be that you haven't been working the PC muscle group correctly, as I had this problem too. I thought I was doing my kegels just fine, until I got a biofeedback device and it hardly registered at all! Now I can check when I'm working the right muscles and I've had much better results :)

And yeah, I think surgical repair is what NM meant, as I'm aware they do this when PC training fails. Seen it on embarrassing bodies a few times too!

Hey,

With people who come to me, we generally go through exercises which help strengthen the muscles, from focused pelvic floor exercises to general exercises.

I'd also go through devices, often recommending a tens device to help, and some of these you can claim back X amount of the cost when purchased for a medical reason with proof.

I'm not sure what the NHS version is like though.

In regards to pain, most don't find it painful unless they over do it, which can be sorted with some rest. If you stick at it and do it at home too, generally it works very well.

I've found swimming (breast stroke with legs moving like a frog), can help some too.

You may also find it easier to do kegels while on all fours, as you are working against gravity less.

My doctors are very shabby anyway but that's a topic of its own lol! I'm glad they've actually said there's something wrong I've been driving myself crazy for so long!

I shall definitely look into a device. I'm literally at the stage where I'll give anything a try now! It comes to something when your 3 year old has better bladder control than you lol!

Thank you all so much I really appreciate it!

I think you should only do it when peeing at the start of learning the exercises to know what muscles it is using. You shouldn't stop mid-pee on a regular basis as that can cause other complications. (I don't know what exactly, but I remember being told that & a medical website seems to echo that).

I'd be interested to hear how you get on, as this pregnancy seems to have had a big effect on my pelvic floor and I'm determined to bounce back quickly.

Hi hun.. Well you have now mentioned the bladder control issue that loads of us women find more challenging after giving birth.
I suffered with bladder issues for 11 years after my first! Till I plucked up the courage to get it looked into.
I was examined and told I had a posterior/anterior and uterine prolapse, all high grade..and was sent to do the exercises, but with the advice it will adress my problem , but not eradicate it as I had too many prolapsed bits. I was sent to a eurologist to check the plumbing, and I had two types of incontinence, stress and urge.
On my case, it was advised me keep up the pelic floor exercising, but a surgical and intervention would likely have better results. I did have that surgery, and as I really didn't want more kids, I had a hysterectomy as well as a posterior repair ( they decided against the anterior repair as the hysterectomy removed more of the pressure on my bladder area, and they wanted to hold that in reserve. ( note: this was a decision put on the table for me due to my age, and already had all the kids I wanted...they do NOT have to do a hysterectomy to sort out plumbing!! You can still have repairs keeping the bits for having kids!! )
I did have some months of recovery, but I felt like a huge rock had been taken out of my pelvis.... I could move...walk...run..without leaking every time. I can be outdoor active for the first time in years( making the most of it!) And my sex drive/ life has come on in leaps and bounds.
I still have the occasional accident, but it is 10% of my usual issues.

I am not wanting to scare you...far from it..if one thing doesn't work...they have several options to help.. And test it to really find your solution. The exercises they give you should be a woman's primary exercise routine! With or without kids...we go to a gym and work all the other visible ones , and don't focus on the important ones inside.

Embrace this physio and get the most you can...but if it doesn't work( doesn't for everyone ) there are still further options, which sound daunting , but in truth can be life changing. Don't wait 11 years like me to get it sorted and suffer in silence.
You will be fine.
Xx

Hi hun.. Well you have now mentioned the bladder control issue that loads of us women find more challenging after giving birth.
I suffered with bladder issues for 11 years after my first! Till I plucked up the courage to get it looked into.
I was examined and told I had a posterior/anterior and uterine prolapse, all high grade..and was sent to do the exercises, but with the advice it will adress my problem , but not eradicate it as I had too many prolapsed bits. I was sent to a eurologist to check the plumbing, and I had two types of incontinence, stress and urge.
On my case, it was advised me keep up the pelic floor exercising, but a surgical and intervention would likely have better results. I did have that surgery, and as I really didn't want more kids, I had a hysterectomy as well as a posterior repair ( they decided against the anterior repair as the hysterectomy removed more of the pressure on my bladder area, and they wanted to hold that in reserve. ( note: this was a decision put on the table for me due to my age, and already had all the kids I wanted...they do NOT have to do a hysterectomy to sort out plumbing!! You can still have repairs keeping the bits for having kids!! )
I did have some months of recovery, but I felt like a huge rock had been taken out of my pelvis.... I could move...walk...run..without leaking every time. I can be outdoor active for the first time in years( making the most of it!) And my sex drive/ life has come on in leaps and bounds.
I still have the occasional accident, but it is 10% of my usual issues.

I am not wanting to scare you...far from it..if one thing doesn't work...they have several options to help.. And test it to really find your solution. The exercises they give you should be a woman's primary exercise routine! With or without kids...we go to a gym and work all the other visible ones , and don't focus on the important ones inside.

Embrace this physio and get the most you can...but if it doesn't work( doesn't for everyone ) there are still further options, which sound daunting , but in truth can be life changing. Don't wait 11 years like me to get it sorted and suffer in silence.
You will be fine.
Xx

I'll keep this post updated with how I get along!

I couldn't last this long so hands up to you NM for doing so! It's embarrassing not being able to go for runs or jump around like a fool with my little one.

I really appreciate you telling me about your experience it's really reassured me I felt although I was going into this blind and you've helped shed a bit of light. Fingers crossed I won't need surgery but if I do I'm mentally prepared for it.

My doctor said it sounded like both but I'm sure the physio will give me the exact diagnosis!

Thanks again ladies!

Gl hun...plumbing issues get pushed to the back of a women's mind with all the things we deal with, kids,house, job,shopping,other half...we get too busy, and find other things taking priority... When in fact your own well-being is key to function better.

Sex was something that also became harder, as in the back of my mind...it was " I hope I dont get too. Into it and loose control." Or" he is going down on me...and oh crap!! That is really stimulating my bladder too!!"
Now I am a few years down from my op..I not only feel more secure in " letting go and enjoying sex " without worrying about having an accident, I ave also discovered the joy of the squirting orgasm😀
Still have to experience it with my new partner..but my fb last year really opened my eyes to this one...and I have been able to go with it solo before since. It isn't a " having an accident on purpose" but a totally different sensation, and result( it isn't pee you squirt!😊)
Believe me...I feel like I had an engine overhaul, and I am tuned up to the hilt!

And this all started because I finally had the guts to ask my gp to check me out ad I thought I was prolapsed, with water work issues. If this thread helps you or any other woman to take that leap of embarrassing faith...and get a problem sorted..I think that is worth while.

everuthi g you've just described about your sex life is literally summed up everything about my bedroom antics!
I even refuse to go on top anymore because I've herd it's less sensational for him if there's lack of muscle..I've not orgasmed once for the last 2 and a half years..I'm hoping that this is the reason and once I get myself back into shape things will soon change!

Once again thank you :) x

So..

I attended my first appointment at the beginning of the month. It was just an initial assessment of the damage. I was asked a lot of questions and found out I have both stress and urge incontinence :(. The physiotherapyst was lovely and reassuring. She said as I'm so young (22) there wouldn't be any point in having surgery as anything a surgeon would do would then be undone if I give birth again. I've been given pelvic floor exercises to do and I go back again next week. Hopefully it's a start of good things to come!

:)

Hey Hun :) sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but hopefully this is the start of your recovery now! Just wanted to pop back and say that the biofeedback device I was using is now available on Lovehoney, it's called "Gballs 2". It did make a difference for me and helps you to know when you're doing the exercises properly. There's a special mode on there for post-birth issues, you use them with your smartphone :)

http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=33666

Thank you ☺️

Xx-katie Betty Dodson used to do a 'workshop' where they would use a stainless steel barbell about 7" long with two different sized balls. The largest end was inserted and you done your exercises untill you could take the small end and hold it in hands free. No mean feat as it weighed a pound.

It could also be used as a 'G' spot massager.

She didn't export over here (LH would you want to stock something like this?)

But if you could find something like it I think with a little workout you'll be fine.

Enjoy. x

Xx-katie wrote:

Thank you both:)

I've done lots of pelvic exercises but my muscles just haven't been responding I've got 4 different sits of kegel balls too!

The doctor looked a little off when she asked me to tense them :(

I've read a lot online but I've just been scaremongering myself which obviously hasn't helped lol! Got to love google!

I think I'm just gonna have to brave this one out!

Which kegel balls have you tried and how did you find them to use if you don't mind me asking? I've tried quite a few so may be able to recommend a good set