Phobia's

What's your phobia and how are you trying to overcome.

I hate snakes, they creep me out, they always look like they want to eat me, or wrap thereselves around me and squeeze. And to make it worse my OH had me purchase one for her yesterday, at the moment its only about 2ft but still looks like it wants t have a go at me. She thinks cause it is so small I can work on my fear of them but I just cant bring myself to touch it, gives me shivers just thinking about it.

Spiders! And wasps. But mainly spiders because wasps are only around for a small part of the year so they're easier to avoid. Spiders of all sizes, even the little ones creep me out, but at least I can handle little ones on my own. If they're big I need my OH to get rid of it, can't even look at them let along try and catch them without feeling physically sick.

I don't like snakes either, and a little bit uneasy about deep water, although I swum in the sea hundreds of times, sometimes its more thinking about it than actually doing it, and wouldn't class either as phobias

I am not very afraid of anything wild- I have my dad to thank for that, he made me watch endless nature documentaries as a kid so I have a deep respect for animals. I have been stung by wasps so many times, but wasps only sting when threatened so its my fault anyway. Its easy to see that they are frightened for their lives so I just pluck them out and let them go, no point causing more pain by killing them. Spiders I avoid, but thats because of the way they look- its just a little creepy.

I have, rather embarrassingly, a fear of the dark still. I cant go upstairs without turning the light on and if i'm walking around in the dark, I make it bloody quick and never look behind me!

I put that phobia down to the amount of programs I watch about the paranormal, even though I dont hugely believe in that stuff, it still gets my neck hairs up.

Moths - I hate moths, they send a shiver down my spine when they flap around my head. But butterflies I'm OK with ?? Strange.

Im totally with you on the snake phobia, terrified of them and it impacts on my life some days too. If i take the dog out for a countryside walk or have to go out into the garden at work im conscious that there may be snakes lurking in the grass and i have to do the 'snake dance' (lots of stamping and clapping) and yes i know i sound bonkers!

I have thought about facing my fear and seeking help but i dont think i could cope.

Spiders and the fear of falling (not heights - if I'm high up and feel safe then I'm fine) and walking on the right hand side of people

Hey TTurtle, small bone to pick with you lol, i emailed you on the 29/01 regarding access to the alternative chat facility but no reply :(

I don't know if I have any real fears, I have don't likes... such as don't like spiders, horror films or mushrooms.

I guess I'm more scared of getting lost I have a terrible sense of direction, I only have to go into a shopping centre and I forget wich way I came in, I never remember directions when I'm driving either. Also muti storey car parks, don't like the enclosed feeling, It's the same feeling I get if I drive down a country lane and you can't see if another car is coming the other way or not, I start to panic a bit.

Mr. Loverman wrote:

Hey TTurtle, small bone to pick with you lol, i emailed you on the 29/01 regarding access to the alternative chat facility but no reply :(

I replied back to all emails so you may need to check you junk mail box ;) not a lot of people are using it now days though which is sad :(

TTurtle wrote:

Mr. Loverman wrote:

I replied back to all emails so you may need to check you junk mail box ;) not a lot of people are using it now days though which is sad :(

My apologies, i regularly delete all junk mail, if i msg u again would you reply and i wont delete this time.

I started out with five fears -

Flying, Snakes, Heights, Enclosed spaces & Dentists.

I have overcome my fear of snakes by going to our local petstore and holding a royal python. I actually want one now lmao!

I overcame my fear of enclosed spaces by going potholing and it worked!

As for my fear of Flying, Heights and dentists, I will never get over them, I dont want to get over them, I dont want to talk about them. I get very f*cking angry if Im made to!

AdventurousSexKitten wrote:

I used to love roller coasters etc but a few years ago I suddenly developed a real fear of heights and my thought processes become completely irrational when I am forced into a situation where I need to go 'up' something.

Have to say that I have improved a hell of a lot over the last year though, honest! Have to go over Dartford Crossing to visit Mum and Dad and I used to go into total panic (but try and hide it from the kids) as I drove over. I would worry that the kids were going to fall out the car????! How? Totally irrational. Doesn't bother me now at all...thank goodness because I started to think of going round the M25 the other way at one point...which would have taken forever!!! Driving distance doesn't bother me at all but just that situation stuck in my brain and triggered an alarm everytime I approached it.

Still wouldn't go as far as going on anything like the London Eye....need to build up to that. Would probably have to be blindfolded and drugged first. LOL!

I must agree the Dartford Crossing scares me a little as well strange, don't usually have a problem with heights

Ork wrote:

Fear is something that can easily be over come, but my main fears:

Hippies

Black/white etc power movements

Happy people, nothing says back stabbing prick like a smile

Humans, they can't even trust themselves!

That's about it really, fear is something I learned to control as a kid so it doesn't really have a hold on me, I just channel it in to anger or whatever is needed at the time... just don't ask me to climb ladders and we're cool.

I got a new phobia now. You. (typed with a smile)

I have an "irrational fear" of ducks and swans... they creep me out and i generally try to avoid waterways when i can...

Little Strummer Boy wrote:

I have an "irrational fear" of ducks and swans... they creep me out and i generally try to avoid waterways when i can...

Yeah swans (not so much ducks) I'm not too keen on, to be honest, any big bird (oystrich, emu etc) intimidate me, even when behind a fence.

Also, now I grown up, I'm ok - but as a child I was really scared of clowns wierd I know

earwigs! stupid i know but they make me feel really queasy - how have i worked on it? by avoiding and where unavoidable letting mrs cappy remove offending insect.

other is heights but only from fixed things. being in plane worries me for all sorts of reasons but not from a height issue. however being outside on the top of a building, like the duomo in florence, has a really bad effect on me.

For years i'd wanted to see Neuschwanstein castle. we went and it was amzing however the bridge behind in the valley offers stunning views. it is wooden, it wobbles and is a long way up - i lasted two minutes on it :

Sorry for double post. Why can't you delete posts on here it's really annoying!

Ork wrote:

Fear is something that can easily be over come, but my main fears:

Hippies

Black/white etc power movements

Cartman?

Only one and it's pretty geeky. Underwater computer games, whenever I have to do an underwater level unexpectedly(San Andreas, Tomb Raider, Ecco the BASTARD Dolphin!!!) I chuck the control away and try to turn the console of without looking at tv..... Think it comes from playing super mario as a very young kid and getting attacked by a shark.

I have wayyyyyy too many to list but my main ones are
Butterflies & moths, never know which way the twats are gunna go n way too many zoosn days out have bloody butterfly houses!!
The dark (im 24 next month....)
Spiders. i just freeze n shout for help.
wet cotton wool....... ugh gives me the creeps just thinking about it.