PVC and leather. Why?

I know. I think it's hot, you think it's hot, but why is it hot?

I'm currently writing a book in which a sex-mad character has to explain to someone else the wonders of these beautiful materials, but when I think about it, I can't think of anything other than "it just is!"

Perhaps it's an evolution thing, the people who dress up are getting more sex and having more kids!

Or perhaps you guys will be better at explaining what's so sexy about it.

Probably sounds daft but what about something to do with Lara Croft in the Tomb Raider game(s) wearing it?

Also a reflection on Cat Woman in the Batman film?

That's more iconic really isn't it?

I wrote some stuff about PVC here:

http://ladylubyanka.wordpress.com/2008/09/07/pvc/

Leather sounds great, wears in beautifully, fits itself to the body, is durable, smells intoxicating, can be weather resistant, can look amazing, and feels divine.

Why does your character have to explain the benefits of these materials?

Doesn't apply to me...but for men and leather....is it the association with leather seats in a brand new car and the smell that is just Mmmm mmmm mmmm!

Lubyanka wrote:

As mentioned before, the character is sex mad. For reasons not really worth going into, he finds it incredibly difficult to go more than a few minutes without doing or talking about anything sexual. He's friends with a girl who is a very pure virgin and is quite against sex due to previous bad experiences. The story is pretty much the process of them meeting in the middle with their views. She doesn't understand alot of the things surrounding sex, and he spends alot of his time trying to explain and encourage her to do things.

This has been fine up until now with all the different subjects I've covered, but now I've hit one which I dont have too much experience in, and no matter how much I think about it, I can't figure out why myself or other people think these materials are sexy.

BTW, I had a look at your blog post Lubyanka, I LOVE those PVC suspenders! Too bad they're way out of my price range

Aargh! The more I think about this the more I think it is a very tricky question indeed... I keep starting to write something only to think of more connotations and compications. Ho-hum.

Firstly, are you referring to pvc/leather clothing and sex toys or pvc/leather in general because I think there are definately things made out of these materials that are not in fact hot - guttering anyone? and I've seen some really nasty leather jackets in my time. Therefore it becomes more to do with the hotness of the items rather than the materials and the fact that pvc/leather are particularly suitable for making sexy/sexual items.

For instance, when it comes to sexy clothing, pvc and leather are very tactile, have a natural sheen (that can be enhanced in the case of pvc) and enough stretch to be figure hugging. In fact you might say they are attractive to most of our senses - sight, sound, touch, smell. Over time, something which is suitable for a particular purpose and therefore often used in that context becomes associated with that context. Hence think pvc/leather, think sex.

Don't know if that really helps. I'm not very good at expressing myself...

Ecksvie wrote:

Lubyanka wrote:

[...] She doesn't understand alot of the things surrounding sex, and he spends alot of his time trying to explain and encourage her to do things. [...] now I've hit one which I dont have too much experience in, and no matter how much I think about it, I can't figure out why myself or other people think these materials are sexy.

Thank you so much for answering my question, I was really curious. :)

Also, that helps me answer yours. For people who enjoy different tactile sensations on the body, PVC and leather provide very different experiences. Some people like silk, some like velvet, some like cotton, but what they all have in common is a softness and comfort on the skin. I think if you started your description with how those materials feel on the body when wearing them, and how much sexier one can feel when wearing materials which feel sexy, that might be a good start.

Sex is in a large part a physical feeling activity, and some of the strongest characteristics of both PVC and leather is how they feel to the touch, how they move when the wearer moves, how they sound when moving with them on, how they look and how they smell when warmed up by the wearer's body.

Does that help?

Of course, I am referring to PVC and leather in the context of sex/fetish clothing.

In regards to the 'hotness' of the items, I think most of us would agree that a pair of PVC leggings would be inifinitely sexier than a pair of leggings made from some ordinary stretch fabric. Still, I cant figure out what it is.

hmm for me it is the smell of lether that turns me on. the only leather item i have is my vibrawhip.

i should really look at some cloathing thats pvc/leather ect

Ecksvie wrote:

Of course, I am referring to PVC and leather in the context of sex/fetish clothing.

In regards to the 'hotness' of the items, I think most of us would agree that a pair of PVC leggings would be inifinitely sexier than a pair of leggings made from some ordinary stretch fabric. Still, I cant figure out what it is.

Heh, well, that does make things clearer, knowing you were talking about sexy clothing would certainly have been useful information. :p

Personally, I don't find PVC leggings particularly hot, so I can't help you there. However, what you could do is consider what qualities describe PVC leggings which do not apply to ordinary ones. And what qualities apply to ordinary leggings which don't apply to PVC ones? I think the differences are part of what makes those fabrics hot, so consider the differences and you may have your answers. :)

I think that sums it up perfectly, the smell, the texture, the durability, thet are both the ultimate material for couples.

Lubyanka wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

Lubyanka wrote:

[...] She doesn't understand alot of the things surrounding sex, and he spends alot of his time trying to explain and encourage her to do things. [...] now I've hit one which I dont have too much experience in, and no matter how much I think about it, I can't figure out why myself or other people think these materials are sexy.

Thank you so much for answering my question, I was really curious. :)

Also, that helps me answer yours. For people who enjoy different tactile sensations on the body, PVC and leather provide very different experiences. Some people like silk, some like velvet, some like cotton, but what they all have in common is a softness and comfort on the skin. I think if you started your description with how those materials feel on the body when wearing them, and how much sexier one can feel when wearing materials which feel sexy, that might be a good start.

Sex is in a large part a physical feeling activity, and some of the strongest characteristics of both PVC and leather is how they feel to the touch, how they move when the wearer moves, how they sound when moving with them on, how they look and how they smell when warmed up by the wearer's body.

Does that help?

You have all been a great help so far, I'm definitely beginning to find it easier to put into words.

This topic comes up in my story when the guy tells the girl (who's fretting over her clothes) that she'd look fantastic even if she wore a bin bag, which then leads on to other shiny materials. I think I'm going to talk about the touch element of sex in this. He could get her to define sex, but her opinion of that is purely intercourse, without foreplay etc. I may or may not be able to think of something to do with visuals as well :P

I thought it would be obvious I was talking about sexy clothing given the type of forums I'm asking this on lol. Leggings was just an example, it was the first thing that came to mind. It could be any PVC item next to an identical item of clothing made from a different fabric.

Ecksvie wrote:

You have all been a great help so far, I'm definitely beginning to find it easier to put into words.

This topic comes up in my story when the guy tells the girl (who's fretting over her clothes) that she'd look fantastic even if she wore a bin bag, which then leads on to other shiny materials. I think I'm going to talk about the touch element of sex in this. He could get her to define sex, but her opinion of that is purely intercourse, without foreplay etc. I may or may not be able to think of something to do with visuals as well :P

I thought it would be obvious I was talking about sexy clothing given the type of forums I'm asking this on lol. Leggings was just an example, it was the first thing that came to mind. It could be any PVC item next to an identical item of clothing made from a different fabric.

I'm delighted you're being helped and are finding your task easier, that's great news. :)

As for obvious, well, all kinds of sex toys are made from both leather and PVC, I have dildos and a vibrator made from PVC, floggers and other spanky toys made from leather, my strap-on harness is leather, plus there are such things as PVC sheets and leather bags and stuff, so I didn't think it was obvious you were talking about clothes in particular. Still, that's all sorted out now, so never mind. :)

One thing I find helps me to write is to ask myself the questions I would want to know if somebody else was telling me what I was writing about. That way I can help ensure that I don't leave out anything important. :)

For visuals you can use things that appear good because of good associations, for example, if you like pizza, then a pizza can look good, if you like shiny things, then shiny things can look good, and so on. She might think desserts look good, or a new haircut. :)

Lubyanka wrote:

Ecksvie wrote:

I'm delighted you're being helped and are finding your task easier, that's great news. :)

As for obvious, well, all kinds of sex toys are made from both leather and PVC, I have dildos and a vibrator made from PVC, floggers and other spanky toys made from leather, my strap-on harness is leather, plus there are such things as PVC sheets and leather bags and stuff, so I didn't think it was obvious you were talking about clothes in particular. Still, that's all sorted out now, so never mind. :)

One thing I find helps me to write is to ask myself the questions I would want to know if somebody else was telling me what I was writing about. That way I can help ensure that I don't leave out anything important. :)

For visuals you can use things that appear good because of good associations, for example, if you like pizza, then a pizza can look good, if you like shiny things, then shiny things can look good, and so on. She might think desserts look good, or a new haircut. :)

I didnt think of that. I have vibrators and some bondage rope, that's as far as it goes with me at the moment really. Not that kinky! (yet) Maybe it wasnt as obvious as I thought.

One question I would ask that I dont know the answer to, since I have no experience of PVC in a sexual context, would be does it get in the way? Sex involves thrusting and bodies rubbing against each other. Do such materials allow bodies to slide against each other?

I like the associations thing, I think I could work with that. You never see anyone wearing PVC in daily life.

Once I've written this scene, I'll post it so you all can see what I came up with with your help :)

Ecksvie wrote:

Lubyanka wrote:

As for obvious, well, all kinds of sex toys are made from both leather and PVC, I have dildos and a vibrator made from PVC, floggers and other spanky toys made from leather, my strap-on harness is leather, plus there are such things as PVC sheets and leather bags and stuff, so I didn't think it was obvious you were talking about clothes in particular. [...]

I didnt think of that. I have vibrators and some bondage rope, that's as far as it goes with me at the moment really. Not that kinky! (yet) Maybe it wasnt as obvious as I thought.

One question I would ask that I dont know the answer to, since I have no experience of PVC in a sexual context, would be does it get in the way? Sex involves thrusting and bodies rubbing against each other. Do such materials allow bodies to slide against each other?

I like the associations thing, I think I could work with that. You never see anyone wearing PVC in daily life.

Once I've written this scene, I'll post it so you all can see what I came up with with your help :)

Heh, I find that nothing is ever as obvious as I thought, which is why I don't do "subtle" and why I spell everything out and check stuff, just in case. :)

Aside from that PVC corset, I own no other PVC clothes (I gave the PVC suspender belt as a gift). I have never worn it during sex and don't plan to, so I have no idea, sorry.

There is an easy way you can find stuff out, if you go to a sewing place and get just an offcut or half a metre of PVC from a roll, you can experiment with it and see for yourself what it does. :)

I look forward to reading the results of your research. :)

Funnily enough, I do actually plan on buying some PVC from a fabric shop for something completely unrelated, so I'll have a play with it then.

I posted this thread so I'd have enough stuff to work with in advance. The scene is coming up but there's a few more scenes I need to write first. Damn, I just wanna write it now! I was expecting to hit a blank when I got to it, but now I'm quite looking forward to it.

Wah! Good question. No idea though, it just is.

I almost went to venture the whole "It's glossy and it clings to the figure, so same sexual connotation as lycra or lipgloss" but then you get matt effect too don't you?

Some people believe that latex/PVC/leather is a superskin response. Take a bird like a robin then swap one of it's eggs for one ten times the size. The bird will always go for the implausibly stimulating one. IE it's like skin, only more so.

For me the attraction is visual/tactile - I know a lot of people like latex smell.

its the new car smell