Recieved a gift, but am rather stuck on what to do.

I know there's already a few posts regarding this but I recieved a small gift today. There's one problem, I can't use it as it has latex in it. Now I'm wondering what to do. The person who purchased it for me was rather happy to buy me a gift and seemed excited, but I don't know if I should tell him that I could never use it or not. I know if I tell him he probably will get upset and feel guilty.

My options now really are to tell him, put it on adopt a toy thread, give it to someone else, or put a latex free condom over it if I intend to use it. I don't know what to do. :/

And then what would be the est way to tell him? I know today he's pretty don so do I leave it?

I just don't know.

I received a gift from someone which just didn't work for me. As it was from Lovehoney I swapped it for something else.

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

I received a gift from someone which just didn't work for me. As it was from Lovehoney I swapped it for something else.

Did you tell the sender beforehand, as I would feel bad about doing that. Though if you did tell them how did they react?

Tough one. Is he likely to buy you a gift again? If he is, chances are you could be back in this position again if he does. If you do tell him, tell him that you have a latex allergy, but you can use latex free condoms over it, so it isn't unusable. And maybe give it a few days until he is a little happier.

As for what to do with the toy, would you feel comfortable using it even with the latex free condom over it?

I take it he doesnt read these posts, otherwise he is going to find out. I think kelly has it pretty much spot on though.

scwhartz wrote:

I take it he doesnt read these posts, otherwise he is going to find out. I think kelly has it pretty much spot on though.

No he doesn't read the forums, I don't think he has an account. He just purchases things from here time to time but he's not someone to set up an account on a site like this. So it's add to the basket, write the address and pay.

Hey KM I'm a little uncertain about using a latex free condom over it too, I do have an exstremely bad latex allergy.... I thought he knew tbh, but I guess he didn't read LH's hand description?

Well, it sounds like you don't want to use it even with the condom, can't say I blame you with the wholw allergy thing.

Personally I'd go for thanking him for his lovely gift, and tell him how much you appreciate it. But do tell him its latex. If I'd given a gift and made a mistake, I'd rather know, but thats me.

Personally I'd want to know, I'd want the recipient to have something they could use and enjoy. It would be a waste of his money if you can't use it.

An allergy is, after all a serious reason not to use it. I'm sure he'd hate to think that it would harm you.

If he's considerate enough to get you a pressie in the first place maybe he'll be okay with you swapping it.

I don't suppose there's something that looks very similar that's latex free that you could swap it for is there?

The Nymphomaniac wrote:

MasqueradeMinx wrote:

Did you tell the sender beforehand, as I would feel bad about doing that. Though if you did tell them how did they react?

I did tell them that I like the other two but just not one of them, I told him I was sending it back to swap. He was fine but apologised that it wasn't good.

If you return it, think a confirmation e-mail gets sent to the sender's address, so you can't even do it sneaky-like.

Definitely tell him and get it traded in. If you gush a bit about the thing that's on its way as a replacement, and mention how much you'd have adored the original gift had it not been for the stupid allergy, he should feel a little less dejected.

If it was me, I would thank him but explain the situation, that you have an allergy to latex, but you appreciate his generosity, and that he thought enough of you to send a gift. Why would he feel guilty, he couldnĀ“t know you had an allergy.

I agree with Miss Behaviour, If you let him know that you are greatful for the item but are allergic to one of the components its made with im sure he would understand if you wanted to swap it this way he knows incase he decides to buy you something else in future plus if he was to ask you what you thought of the item at it means your not going to be "umm... yeh, about that".

End of the day you need to be happy with the product and people dont mind if you want to exchange them for whatever reason x

How could you handle it so you 1) get something you can use *without risk* and 2) he gets to keep his happiness and excitement?

That's how I'm framing the question, which means I'm thinking in terms of a return. I don't know enough to judge whether that's the best course in terms of your relationship/friendship with him and that has to be your priority, IMO.

But I wouldn't just exchange it or give it away. I'd talk about the allergy with him and emphasis how happy his gift made me. Maybe throw in something suggesting that thinking of him would get me a bit too worked up to rely on getting a condom on it properly. (Oh dear, that sounds a bit cheesy out of context. %-) Hmm.) Bottom line though, I would let him choose the replacement.

I would definitely tell him.

I'd say that I really liked the toy that he bought, and it looks like great fun but unfortunately it says it has latex in it so I can't use it. I'd then ask if it would be ok to swap it on the site. You could ask him if there was anything else he thought about getting you or if he would like to have a look, and if not, then you could have something in reserve that you could suggest if he asks.

Much easier than trying to pretend that you loved it if he ever asks you about it! Also, hopefully means that you do get a toy that you like and can use - bonus!

Well I waited till today, and told him that it contains latex. He said not to worry about it and that he didn't check the product details before ordering as it was a quick random order.

I'm going to send it back monday and asked for a refund as he's decided to purchase me something from the sale. It's a little more expensive but it's still what I would class as pocket money price, http://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=16271

He said it would be easier to do it this way so he doesn't miss out on the sale item. He also said to make it easier on him he's only going to bye me metal or glass toys for now on, which I'm rather happy about.

So it went well I guess. I think if I told him yesterday as he was already down it would have made him angry oand/ or even more upset.

Thanks for the help :)

Glad it all worked out in the end :)

Glad its sorted hun, and i doubt he would of been more upset because end of the day its an alergy its better to be safe and enjoy something rather than have that worry back of the mind plus he now knows to look out for that thing so it should be better for you both if he buys you another present *hugs* x