Relationship Advice Please

Hi fellow LH fans

As some of you may know already I am almost divorced after 5 years in a miserable and abusive marriage. I am starting to get back out there now after a short term relationship split with a lovely lady, but it didn't last due to her son being a little shit towards my little girl. I couldn't put her through any more.

Anyway, I have now been single for approx 6 months and have started looking at future in a better light. I have started chatting to a gorgeous girl at work and we seem to have hit it off quite well! I think she is gorgeous and she seems to really like me. However I am a little unsure of getting into a relationship after such a time. She seems to have quite a few trust issues, as do I. Finding out wife is fucking her work colleague behind your back tends to do that.

To cut a long story short, me and this girl are going out next Saturday after work and I want to make a good impression! I think she is so sexy and we do seem to hit it off. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I get her to build up the trust gradually. I suffered an horrendous incident when I was 18 and this has had a negative impact on previous relationships, but I am dealing head on with that now! Do you think divulging that would get her trust levels up. I know it is early days re us but I am bloody crazy about her! I know we need to get to know each other and that takes time but I do see us having lots of fun together.

Sorry for essay but just need a bit of advice!

Hi Kev,

I think the best advice is to treat people how you'd want to be treated - starting a relationship based on honesty & trust is a great foundation.

I wouldn't set about airing all your laundry on a first date - first dates are about getting to know what interests you have in common and finding out if there's chemistry there. I certainly wouldn't recommend revealing something unnecessarily with the aim of encouraging trust; trust will build gradually as you get to know each other better.

However if this experience when you were 18 might affect her & your relationship with her it would be fair to give her a heads-up sooner rather than later.

Just try to enjoy yourself, you like her, she likes you. What happened with your wife is history now, the hurt will heal gradually; you deserve happiness & can't let her actions taint the new life you're making for yourself.

Hope it goes really well - good luck for next week!

CCW x