Royal mail - leave with neighbours concern

Several years ago a neighbour opened one of my parcels when it was delivered to the wrong address by a courier. They would even have had to sign for it, and my name was marked clearly on the box. There was no mistake.

Needless to say, the incident has made me anxious when I'm waiting to receive anything from LH in the post.

By the way, the item in question was a graphics card - nothing scandalous.

Salubrious wrote:

Several years ago a neighbour opened one of my parcels when it was delivered to the wrong address by a courier. They would even have had to sign for it, and my name was marked clearly on the box. There was no mistake.

Needless to say, the incident has made me anxious when I'm waiting to receive anything from LH in the post.

By the way, the item in question was a graphics card - nothing scandalous.

Ahhhh, that seems like extreemly bad luck- and not just a bit of poor service from the delivery people- or your neighbours.

I can understand you being nervous about that, I really do, but it doesnt sound like there's been many (if any)occurences of LH parcels being opened by other people. There have been talk on another thread about parents possibly opening parcels sent to people, but I dont think that even happened often if at all- there have been a few close calls when parents have though a parcel contains mundane stuff they know you've ordered- eg, books for college/uni, but it is actually against the law to open somebody elses mail- for the very reason that you are afraid, as well as of course stuff related to stealing.

If you are still worried about this, I would advise just leaving a note for your postman to see- or having a chat with him, just to request that stuff does not get left with your neighbour. It may be that after a few years, they wouldnt even try anything like that again (if you did think they deliberatly open it), but if you just say to the postman that you're expecting some more pretty valuble things to be delivered to you, and the fact that your neighbours have opened mail for you in the past, he should be more then happy to make sure that your parcels are left with only you, or at least let you know what you need to do (going through the right channels- that official 'sticker thing someone else mentioned) to make sure your parcels are safe.

premium90 wrote:

I really don't know if this is the correct place to discuss this. I myself would find it very uncomfortable if one of the neighbours picked up one of our parcels.

What are your thoughts and have lovehoney thought about this? Especially, the september roll out is coming.

if you get it by recorded delivery they must get you to sign or take it back for you to collect from their office i believe

I had a funny experience the other day. I open all the post at work as no one else can be trusted LOL! Anyway a parcel arrived and knowing what the labels and address for LH is like I knew instantly it was a naughty surprise. When I looked at the addressee is was for a guy who is very quiet, very shy and very well geeky bless him- kind of same hair cut for the last 20 years- not saying there is anything wrong with any of that! And I had to have a chuckle to myself!! Good job I saw the label first and didn’t just rip the parcel open. Just rang his office and said ‘I’ve got a parcel here for you- I didn’t open it as thought it maybe personal...what dya want me to do with it?’

Chesty100 wrote:

I had a funny experience the other day. I open all the post at work as no one else can be trusted LOL! Anyway a parcel arrived and knowing what the labels and address for LH is like I knew instantly it was a naughty surprise. When I looked at the addressee is was for a guy who is very quiet, very shy and very well geeky bless him- kind of same hair cut for the last 20 years- not saying there is anything wrong with any of that! And I had to have a chuckle to myself!! Good job I saw the label first and didn’t just rip the parcel open. Just rang his office and said ‘I’ve got a parcel here for you- I didn’t open it as thought it maybe personal...what dya want me to do with it?’

Ahhhhhhhh, bless!!! Lol, thats the funny thing about the 5* Lovehoney discression- the only people who could recognise a LH oarcel is are other customers or LH staff!!

I keep on half expecting, on the occasion that I do need to send something back, that the person at the post office would give me a small knowing smile when they note the details down for the proof of postage receipt.

SN wrote:

Chesty100 wrote:

Ahhhhhhhh, bless!!! Lol, thats the funny thing about the 5* Lovehoney discression- the only people who could recognise a LH oarcel is are other customers or LH staff!!

I keep on half expecting, on the occasion that I do need to send something back, that the person at the post office would give me a small knowing smile when they note the details down for the proof of postage receipt.

I had that at work earlier in the year. I was waiting on a package from LH and saw one in the office (we all get personal stuff delivered all the time, so admin have given up opening anything thate didnt order) . I went to collect it, bypassing the receptionist, picked it up and realised it was for A Another. Stuck it back on the shelf and emailed the guy to say there was a parcel waiting for him.

when he came to collect it he had a very embarassed, cant look you in the eye face on. I dont think he knew that I knew where the package was from. worst thing was waiting all day till i got home to open it.

My former housemate had a LH parcel when I was in my uni accommodation. The postman had left it on the doorstep when I came home from a lecture or shopping. I just left it on the table in the living room. Didn't like to say to her "You've got a parcel" in case I accidentally betrayed my awareness of where it came from.

that is very daunting indeed. most people don't bother to read the details on the envelope or package. they should, but they don't.

I thought they just go back to the sorting office if you are not in when they deliver and you can pick it up after 24 hours.

I can understand concerns surrounding leaving a sensitive parcel with your neighbour. Any of you who have shopped with us before will know that we use very discrete packaging and I would hope that none of your neighbours would open a parcel which isn't addressed to them!

You can find out more about our packaging in our Guide

Royal Mail recently changed their rules on leaving a parcel with a neighbour. They used to only leave "Tracked" services with a neighbour, if you specified your neighbour as a "safe place".

Now, the only way to stop deliveries going to your neighbour is to "opt out" on their website.

You can find out more about the delivery service and opt out here. You can stick a sticker to your door requesting that no parcels are delivered anywhere but into your hands via successful delivery or collection from your sorting office.

Please note that opting out of the neighbour delivery service would affect all deliveries to your property, not just LH ones.

Happy shopping!

theMightyBum wrote:

This is perhaps why, in the past, I have had parcels go missing. I have also had one item arrive ripped open and part of the contents missing.

I've also known postmen to sign for tracked items themselves

all of the above sadly quite regularly happen to me with the added , baffling - one where signed for deliveries will just be left in my outside cupboard without ANYONE having signed for the parcels . all stickers intact . royal mail are terrible and slack sometimes , but then other times , SO helpful and good ... its hard to dislike my posties as theyve all been so very friendly to me , and always have a chat when i see them out on rounds , BUT their idea of following rules & adhering to protocol is somewhat slack

About Royal Mail... it takes 12 days for a package to be shipped here. The difference between signed and unsigned is that the former provides some information until the package 'leaves the country'. There is just static afterwards. All this in the era of UPS/DHL... :/

I have no problem with LH parcel my regular postman have a deal they know I work 9-5 & never in they leave it in my safe place or if they are not happy leaving it there ie its big they only leave it with one neighbour only that nosey neighbour we all have . Its a good job that the toys dont come with batteries in, she has taken all my parcels in no problem

I've only been living where I am now for over a month. Today I had 2 deliveries, one the delivery person left a note saying my packages where in the back garden and the other, the postman saw one of my neighbours in the street and left my package with them. Don't know my neighbours that well yet, but I thought it was very nice of my neighbour to take my package in, especially since I haven't made any arrangements with any of them yet.

We have had 2 packages delivered to neighbours, which is fine by me as wouldn't be bothered if they did know where they were from.
What does annoy me though is both were super saver delivery and no card was left through the door saying it had been left next door. If they weren't honest people they could of just kept the packages and I would of been none the wiser!

im VERY lucky to have lovely neighbours and we all take in parcels for ach other all the time now rather than leaving them in outdoor cupboards where they tend to go astray ..