Saying those three words...

I am just curious. Ive been with my OH for over a year, I am very happy and I know im very much in love with him although I have never actually said it to him. I know in my case actions speak louder than words and likewise with him.

Just wondering what everyone elses thoughts are on this.

if thats what you feel then y not tell him he mite be wanting to tell you aswell go on kid tell him

If you love him... tell him!

My wife and I say those three words to each other quite a lot, but I don't think that either of us feels that we have a "quota" to fulfil, as we have plenty of other ways (verbal and non-verbal) to express the same feeling. I don't believe that it's any reason for concern if you never use the phrase -- at least, not taken in isolation.

lol thanks all... he's a man of few words so i think i'd be waiting a long time for him to say it! his actions say it a million times over :D

I once heard a story about a couple the bloke of which had only ever told his partner "I love you" once despite decades of marriage. He told her at the beginning "I love you, and if that ever changes, I'll let you know!".

It's really individual to each relationship - if you both know you love each other, you shouldn't feel obliged to tell each other just because of social convention. But sometimes it's nice to share it vocally with each other too.

Adx

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I once heard a story about a couple the bloke of which had only ever told his partner "I love you" once despite decades of marriage. He told her at the beginning "I love you, and if that ever changes, I'll let you know!".

Alicia D'amore wrote:

if you both know you love each other, you shouldn't feel obliged to tell each other just because of social convention.

True, but you shouldn't be scared of doing it either.

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I once heard a story about a couple the bloke of which had only ever told his partner "I love you" once despite decades of marriage. He told her at the beginning "I love you, and if that ever changes, I'll let you know!".

It's really individual to each relationship - if you both know you love each other, you shouldn't feel obliged to tell each other just because of social convention. But sometimes it's nice to share it vocally with each other too.

Adx

lol classic... when he works away I say to him "say you miss me" and he's like "actions speak louder than words, I'll show you when back" ... so thats that then... lol

We say "I love you" to each other quite a lot, we say it every morning either when we wake up or when I leave for work.

The first 3 meaningful words I said to him were; "I trust you".

SnL wrote:

We say "I love you" to each other quite a lot, we say it every morning either when we wake up or when I leave for work.

The first 3 meaningful words I said to him were; "I trust you".

see we've said I trust you a lot... and i think the little things show how you feel...

I was told every day by evil ex, those words, but his actions and other words said more to the contrary, and no matter how many times he said those words, it wouldn't take away the hurt and pain of nasty words and actions.

What I am saying is that if you know he does, and you do, why do you need to say the words.

Actions speak louder than words

Alicia D'amore wrote:

I once heard a story about a couple the bloke of which had only ever told his partner "I love you" once despite decades of marriage. He told her at the beginning "I love you, and if that ever changes, I'll let you know!".

I've heard that story too!

I think you should just tell your OH. A saying you have probably heard. Don't regret the things you say and do, it's the things you don't do and say that you regret.

I remember the 1st time my recent ex told me he loved me but did it in a round about way, he ended a text in 'lol' but that's not laugh out loud.

I remember the first time I told my OH I loved him to his face. I've never seen him in such a moment of happy weakness since then. This was only a few days into the relationship actually, although there was a hell of alot of backstory that I won't go into here.

It was a few months into the relationship before I realised that I had often told him I loved him, but not that I was in love with him (to me there is a difference), and thought it important to tell him. When I did he just told me that he considered it the same thing, so it kinda fell flat on its face lol, but I felt better for saying it because to me there is a distinction between loving something and being in love with it.

I love it when my OH tells me he loves me, I wish he'd do it more often. It's not that I ever doubt it, I just like to be told it, especially when he puts my name at the end of the sentence, it feels so personal.

Wettounges.... That is the exact reason I've never said it. My ex still says it if we happen to cross paths... *shudder*

Yes yes compare to the past And I'm fully aware oh is is a million times better... It will be said in time x

If I were you I'd tell him a mans mind can be a funny thing it normaly we need to be told the obvious even if we know it and it is nice to be told every now and then

well i said it at the wrong time last night (during very sensual love making lolol) and he reacted in a very positive way... but im not sure if it was in the moment as I know things said during sex can be a bit random....

Personally i see nothing wrong with saying "i love you" i have said it a few times without thinking in a relationship and had a positive feed back with the same response back, even if i said it and they said "thanks" or something else i wouldnt worry about it because i know i jump before i can swim sometimes but you said its been a year so i think you should just say it some time to him. Yyeh i read you said it during a sexual moment but just say it another time, when he does soemthing for you or just out randomly when your watching the tv "You know something i love you" and look at him, im sure he will smile and respond back with "i love you too".

Oh how i miss them three words i need a gf any offers? lol

i've been with my OH for over two years and we never say it to each other! sometimes i wish we did because you sometimes get those moments of doubt but we just don't really need to say it!

sometimes all we need to do is look each other in the eye, or kiss each other or cuddle and we know.