Sex Education in Schools

From school, in fourth year (around 16-18 years of age), we had "the Tampax lady", who came in and explained to us that soon we might get what was known as a period. They treated it deadly serious, like it wasn't a complete farce (and The Tampax Lady deliberately avoided eye contact with the two pregnant chicks in the front row of the hall). And that was it. It would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

My mother thrust a book at me with a bunch of cartoons about how your body changes as you get older after she found out I was sleeping with my boyfriend of the time. Honestly, what was with the idea that talking about getting a fuzzy crotch was a substitute for discussing sex?

Asking my biology teacher how chicken's have sex if they don't have cocks.... and him thinking it was a joke, so refusing to answer.

The fabulous TL explain it! That's what being the best of the best means, you can adequately explain chicken sex... Thank you fabulous TL!

i rember that we had sex ed at 12. Some vid of the mechanics of it, and the biology. Then the teacher got a dildo and showed us how to put a condom on. Oh and they told us the laws about sex and rape.

Doug wrote:

with the shit show on sex ed on atm, what were peoples experiances of sex ed? (bringing this thread back to life)

I will be back to answer this later...right now, I've got post sex munchies/need for fresh air!

Ax

Sex ed in school consisted of a cucumber, condomns and a talk about itching lol

WandA wrote:

Asking my biology teacher how chicken's have sex if they don't have cocks.... and him thinking it was a joke, so refusing to answer.

The fabulous TL explain it! That's what being the best of the best means, you can adequately explain chicken sex... Thank you fabulous TL!

I think I have that on a shirt somewhere......

My bottom line view: people who teach sex in school should have qualifications to do so. Biology teachers ain't gonna cut it.

Tigerlilies wrote:

My bottom line view: people who teach sex in school should have qualifications to do so. Biology teachers ain't gonna cut it.

well to me there are 2 seperate issues really. bio teachers are there to teach what actualy happens, ie sperm and egg, cells dividing etc. and the later on they teach about the bloody menstual cycle (no pun intened) and all the hormones and stuff.

A qualified person is there to teach the "imprortant " stuff like safe sex and how to use a condom etc

I had a pretty good sex ed - a teacher who cared about teaching...he wasn't the best at it (he was a PSE teacher too) and it only came round in the time table a couple of times a year, but it was better than many had....not that I learnt anything from it, all the boys were too giggly all the time...most of what I learnt was online.

My mum did give me a good grounding of "sex = love/intimacy" which I then equated to sex = love/intimacy and/or fun once I was old enough to understand that. And she taught me that it's important to love yourself before you can have sex with another because too many people will try to get sex from you and if you don't love yourself you may give it to someone who you will regret. Mum gave me the basics to build on and I worked out the technical stuff.

Axx

AdnaW wrote:

And she taught me that it's important to love yourself before you can have sex with another because too many people will try to get sex from you and if you don't love yourself you may give it to someone who you will regret.

Axx

thats really good advise External Media

Doug wrote:

with the shit show on sex ed on atm, what were peoples experiances of sex ed? (bringing this thread back to life)

I seem to recall a lot of half truths being told to us. basically sex with a person with HIV results in you getting it 100% of the time when in reality it's a rather small percentage (at least for blokes, higher for girls and even higher for anal).

I also remember them saying that getting HPV would last for life and you could only get it from people with warts. In reality most people have or have had a strain of HPV but very few develop visible symptoms but can still pass on the virus. It's also undetectable with the most sensitive PCR tests after a few years having had the virus.

I'm pretty sure they told us 100% of people with Chlamydia get symptoms as well, this is blatantly false.

I don't recall being told anything about the different stages of Syphilis infections and just how serious they can become if untreated, I mean their fatal! We only seen pictures without any real knowledge behind anything.

On a related note they never once mentioned papules, sebaceous prominence or any other normal but common variances of the genitals. I mean I know for a fact I'm not the only one to think he had HPV after discovering my sebaceous prominence and it was very upsetting for me until I had a GP check it out.

Doug wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

well to me there are 2 seperate issues really. bio teachers are there to teach what actualy happens, ie sperm and egg, cells dividing etc. and the later on they teach about the bloody menstual cycle (no pun intened) and all the hormones and stuff.

A qualified person is there to teach the "imprortant " stuff like safe sex and how to use a condom etc

Then again, there should also be somebody who can teach about an element of love/intimacy within sex, not just how to do it, how to make a child, and how to prevent a child. I personally think young children should be told how to have sex, the preventions of sex, yet also how special sex is between two people. I think it's when the child gets older that they can learn about sex as pleasure and fun, but I do think an emphasis is needed on the idea that sex is special/sacred, for children to really respect it. xx

My sex education was gained from the age of 12 to 14 in the local park bushes shockingly. Lost my virginity at 14 which my kids find very very shocking! Me too thinking back now :-s In school was a lesson or two in biology with a few overhead projector diagrams of the female genitals but never mentioned the clit! All boys school. Very rough. SG x

Plus, when I have children, I definitely won't want them to be learning about sex through textbooks or teachers. I'd definitely want to introduce them to the idea first. x

Tigerlilies wrote:

Well I was stuck with my guidance teacher who was really just a P.E. teacher and a pretty horrible women. She taught us nothing and if any questions were raised about anal sex or such likes she would just ignore it and tell us to stop trying to be funny.

Nexas wrote:

Tigerlilies wrote:

Difficulty is, who'll fund that training? *feels far too old for a 22 year old*

I'd tend to agree...but either then you need someone in the school specially trained or someone who tours schools, either way costing money. It's really difficult...

PSHE teachers should really be trained for it...

I'd do that job. Sex education is something I feel quite passionate about after my own pathetic experiences. It was highly biological, going through how sperm fertilises an egg. Condoms were mentioned a few times but they really didn't teach me anything I needed to know. It really gets me angry now because there was so much reading up I did online when I first got with my boyfriend and it became apparent sex became involved. I know they're not gonna teach you everything, but I never even got told the basics. The thing that irritates me the most is that I'm of the maturity and mindset that I will go look things up I dont know about - other people might not have the resources or the inclination to do that.

the trouble with sex ed is that there are always those who are embarresses, those that find it funny, those that take the piss and a few who have genuine questions, and most teachers will brush over these as they think they are just trying to be funny

I think the only thing you could do as a teacher is answer all the questions, whether you suspected they were trying to be funny or not. I'm sure the pranksters would get fed up when they don't get a proper reaction.

Ecksvie wrote:

I think the only thing you could do as a teacher is answer all the questions, whether you suspected they were trying to be funny or not. I'm sure the pranksters would get fed up when they don't get a proper reaction.

Exactly. We just got scare tactics with pictures to look at without getting any actual facts, I wish they at least tried to teach us properly.

well as long as you teach them the truth, and its what the school have said you should teach, quite frankly the parents can get stuffed