sex swing installation

Hi folks,

we're looking to put in something in the ceiling for bondage and a sex swing. We've looked at over the door swings and stands and we're definitely after doing a ceiling mounted one if possible.

I'm ok at the DIY so am happy to do the install, but I'm struggling to find consistant and trustworthy advice on how to put the 'hook' in. Googling has got me advice from the very unsafe through to the pretty much rebuild your house to create something strong enough to hang a tank from.....

I have seen good advice in the past (I'm struggling to find it today!) saying to simply use an eyebolt straight in to a ceiling joust, but I don't know how to be sure the joust will take it or what type of eyebolt to use (most sites don't have any spec for them, some do but have it in some mysterious grading etc).

I thought about doing that and adding in a cross beam to be stronger but having looked in the attic I don't think it's going to be possible as the jousts are so far apart that I wouldn't get a long enough beam in through the hatch and if I did it would be as long as the joust (from interior wall to exterior wall which is what it covers) is anyway so no real benefit there.

I've also seen all types of heavy duty rigging as mentioned and don't know if that is just mega overkill.

so anyone who's installed their own or can give some relevant advice on a safe way to do it?

Currently I'm thinking try and find the heaviest duty eyebolts I can and place two faily close in the single joust to double up on the bolt strength but am still concerned about the joust strength.

There are chairs that hang from ceilings, i wonder if you could look up installation instructions for them? You could also ask about those anywhere without embarrassment too.

Id want a 2x6 or something that spanned say 4 joists to spread the load but if getting something like that up into the loft is a problem im not quite sure the best way to go about it. Id be concerned about a single joist twisting with that moving weight hanging from just one.

If you look for sites that sell engineering supplies they will sell eye bolts and similar with load ratings so at least you would know that was strong enough.

not much help sorry but good luck with it and its good to be extra cautious.

meant to add and I'm already rethinking, I do wonder whether my quick look in the attic has not correctly identifid what joists are there :-/ Maybe there's some hidden under some boards in the middle I can't see...doesn't look like it though. ill have to check at the weekend (it's my girlfriend's house)

450mm between joists is the average i think but it depends on the age of the house and other things.

We can highly recommend the Fetish Fantasy Series 360 Degree Spinning Sex Swing which comes with everything you will need including the correct eyebolt. We screwed ours into a 9" x 3" beam with a cross member above. You might want to think of camouflage for the eyebolt when swing is not in use as its very conspicuous. We have an ornamental bird cage hanging from ours lol. Although I have heard of people using an empty fire alarm but you would need rather a big one as the eyebolt is pretty hefty. Best of luck.

I put a bolt through the joist and a cross bar in the loft to spread the load to the adjacent joists. If anyone asks I say there must have been a heavy light previously. I wanted it above the bed so don't want to hang a plant or birdcage from it.

Have you seen the frames you can buy to hang the swing from if not? It looks a bit like a children's swing for in the garden.

thanks all for your advice guys.

kinkytaffs - I like the look of that one and coming all together is nice.

going to get up in the loft this weekend and assuming I can find the right spot we'll be getting something ordered ;-)

can't wait!

Tie three beams together in the loft to spread the load(beam across the tops of the existing ones). Also it may pay to put bracing between the original beams ( ceiling to top of original loft beams @ 90 deg) as your swing load can put a twisting action through the eye bolt, rocking the beam loose from the ceiling, depending on the direction of swing to direction of beam( in line with beam is best rather than across it ), if all that makes sense?

After searching online about this im surprised how little information is out there, even on sex swing websites and youtube channels. Its potentially dangerous to you or your property if you get it wrong so youd think people would talk about it more.

I bolted three 4x2 timbers together, and place these at 90 degrees to the rafters. so the weigt was spread over three of four rafters, then screwed the new timbers to the rafters.

To hide the hole in the ceiling, get a smoke alarm. I use one that has a base plate screwed to the ceiling, so you just twist the smoke alarm to remove it, once smoke alarm is removed just screw the hook into the 4x2's