silicone toys degrading??

i just read a review of a silicone butt plug and the person mentioned you cant use a silicon lube as it will eat it away? is that right? the reason i ask is the toy has ridges in it that could harbour poo as are hard to clean, so i thought maybe put a condom over the toy before putting it in. but worried that the lubricant in condoms might eat at the toy? anyone enlighten me on this please? as i just brought the toy myself. thanks! :-)

Yes water based lube only with silicone toys and don't store silicone toys together, same problem.

Yes you would need to be careful about what condom you use, it can't have any silicone lube.

https://www.lovehoney.co.uk/product.cfm?p=8551 These have a water based lube coating, there's probably others.

You're quite right drtydawg73

You mustn't use silicone lube with silicone toys, and most condoms use silicone lube. 

Best practice (if you want a barrier) would be to use a non-lubricated condom, though if you prepare before using an anal toy, the risk of any mess is very very unlikely. 

As long as you've evacuated your bowels that day, warm up and use plenty of lube, the risk of poop is almost none. 

I just want to clear up a few things about silicone toys.

Properly cured silicone toys CAN be stored together without problem. They will not react or melt together. Unstable materials like TPE/TPR/RUBBER can react when stored together, so they should always be stored seperately.

Silicone lube is a mixture of compounds, so dependent on the actual ingredients, some silicone lubes could damage the finish of some silicone toys, which is why silicone manufacturers advise not using silicone lube.

I've got a box full of silicone dildos that are all touching and mixed together, and not a single one of them has damaged another.

As for the 'butt problem', well, accidents do happen; but if the toy is pure silicone, it can be cleaned and sanitised by bleaching it in a 10% bleach solution, run through the dishwasher (without detergent and preferably on it's own!) or you can boil it in hot water. Silicone won't harbour any bacteria, but it can hold on to odours. But it will still be perfectly safe to use afterwards.

awesome replies! thank you all of you! :-) the toy in question is the b ball, plug with jiggling balls inside. thanks again! :-)

just thinking about the condoms again, are all non latex condoms safe with silicone toys? or have i got that mixed up?

@DavidB1986 is right. Good silicone toys (ones made from platinum cured medical grade silicone) are extremely tough and contrary to the usual wisdom can be used with good quality silicone lubes. We have silicone toys from Tantus, Fun Factory Vixen & LH and they are all regularly used with Pjur 'Original' and Pjur 'Woman' silicone lubes with no problems at all.

We also store some of the toys in contact (e.g. silicone rings threaded over silicone dildos) with no issues at all.

I have that butt plug and it's not lengthy and super easy to clean... Can hand on heart say it's never got messy with either of us using it, we don't prepare other than shower 😀 we use the anal lube, love honeys own, water based.

thanks for the replies you lovely people! :-)

drtydawg73 wrote:

just thinking about the condoms again, are all non latex condoms safe with silicone toys? or have i got that mixed up?

Hey drtydawg73 

It depends what they've been lubricated with. Regardless of what the condom itself is made of (latex, polyurethane or natural membrane) I'd recommend you check which lube has been used. 

As long as it's water-based, you're safe. Just be sure to avoid anything silicone based or oil based.